Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please Help ... Workstation or Arranger ?

Denis007

Hello,

In the past few months I have been looking for a perfect arranger for me but even the best ones(Sd-1,9000pro ...)didn't have what I was looking for.

This made me think if I expected too much from an aranger or maybe the workstation is what I need.

I've decided to aks for help from you guys hopping that someone can help me.

Here is my story ...

I used to play profesionaly in a Funky/Jazz band but since my graduation I completely stopped with gigs,... don't have time for that any more.

My passion for music is still around and I want to contionue playing for myself and improve my musical skills.

Mainly I play instrumental funky/jazz tunes by guys like

H.Hanckok, Bill Cobham ...

Since I am not in a band any more I figured out that maybe a arranger would be very good for practicing at home but no arranger impressed me.

On the other hand I was so impressed with workstations like Phantom and Motif because they have many cool patherns and arpeggiators which i can use for practicing.

I know that in arrangers there are also some funky styles but not with hundreds of diferrent pattherns which I could combine to make my own accomp.I know that I could use a sequencer but it takes a lot of time to create everything

from scratch and I am not so good in drums.

In the same time arrangers have something that I couldn't find in workstations, ..a CHORD RECOGNITION.That's why I started to look for an arranger and then here we go

again, missing pattherns and arpeggiators.

Is there any arranger with large set of funky pattherns and arpeggiators ?

Is the arranger more suitable for me or a workstation, what do you think ?

Do you know if with Roland Fantom I can create some kind of

chord recognition by editing arpeggiator ?

Can I create my own or simpy modify preset arrpeggiators on

Fantom at all ?

Thanks a lot !

Denis

:cool:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Denis, I haven't spent much time with arrangers, but I'll try to help out a fellow Canadian anyway :)

It sounds like your dillema is whether to choose a keyboard with cool arpeggiator/patterns to work with, or choose an arranger becuase of the chord recognition ability.

I personally use a Triton, and its dual arpeggiator section is incredible. There are lots of great preset arpeggios, and you can create your own too. You'll notice that there are a lot of rythmic combinations that use the arpeggiator to set up complex perussion, or a percussion and bass background for you to play over. Since you mentioned that you aren't a drummer I think this would be ideal for you. I use the preset rythm arps often when playing jazzy stuff, and I recently started creating my own patterns. The triton won't give you chord recognition, but there is software that does this if you need it badly.

On the other hand, I haven't tried many arrangers. But I hear the Yamaha PSR9000 and PSR2000 are good ones, as well as the Korg PA80. Hopefully someone else can give more insight into arrangers here since I know little about them.

Hope this helps,

Chris

PS Is it cold up there yet?? ;)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Chris100 ]

Denis ,

The Ketron SD1 does allow you to cut and paste the arrangement parts into new styles . I have also have over 1000 patterns ! Roland , Yamaha and Korg conveted to be used on the Ketron SD1 . The Ketron X1 can do the same .

Both have 16 track sequencers ! Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I have had my Fantom for about a month and then some. It is truly a one of a kind, new line of synth keyboard out there yet! It really sets it's own path for you to discover new and awesome things for yourself as it grows on you, and you with it. Unlike the rest of the 'trend-setters' out there, hmmm... You know who you are.

But, back to business. It's a workstation geared towards the creative person who flows -- it doens't "spoon feed" awhole lot for you to work with. Instead -- they provide you with the neccessary essentials to start building your own "means" of creativity. I'm still learning new things with it, because i am not one to shut off myself from the possibilities nor will i settle for what should sound good. Because as a musician it's about setting new and unique paths, with "substance" and not all that glitz and glam gallore etc...

It's still a youngen, in the market and still really revolutionary, it may take time to respect it's power and realize it's potentials. It's done it's research, you can tell from playing it. The sounds are rich and multi-layered and warm even. It is really beautiful too, i love the look and feel of the titanium -- mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm!! Stylish and modest (very middle path) -- not too flasy / flamy! ((ick)). Not too many buttons either ((yick)) just like too much make-up, "...how or where do you touch it or kiss it.."

Why do i speak so highly about it? BECAUSE I can! That is how enthusiastic i am about my Fantom. That and also, I always email them at Roland Canada with all my concerns and comments. And they are soooooo helpful and warm, these people with Roland really do give customer "care". Its new to me, i've always noticed bad customer care, it's litterally a fraud if any place tells you they have "customer care". But Roland reps amazed me -- sent me a t-shirt too for my efforts; can't beat that!

This "beast" is in with the new and progressing forward on it's own, or maybe I am and it's just a tool that enables me to... Who knows. I have never come accross an instrument like it, it's truly started a thing! You can feel how high the quality is just playing the keys: Yamaha's keys feel like bendy, flimsy, puddy like plastic that would just fall out after massive use... Korg keys feel stiff and rigid, and uless you get that monster KORG PRO-X or what ever the code name is, their 76 keys don't compare. For 76 keys concern, Roland Fantom has the best feel and resistence. Work those fingers and actually feel like you are "playing music" and not tapping on plastic and letting the machine do it all for ya... That is a thing of the past. In with your own way. Off to the highway with the old ways and the new ways. The only way is in you!

Check out my site -- i invite you to a sharing place of music from inside...

Take care! www.mp3.com/just_vi_an ;)

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: 1Empress_Scorpio ]

Originally posted by 1Empress_Scorpio:

Yamaha's keys feel like bendy, flimsy, puddy like plastic that would just fall out after massive use... Korg keys feel stiff and rigid

Hate to spoil your comparison, but the keys are one and the same. Korg uses Yamaha keybeds on every model except on the Karma.

If you have the resources it sounds like a computer would be much better, even a lap top. With any arranger you will eventually tire of using the same patterns over and over. With a computer you can purchase midi files or or sample loops with a focus on the style you play. With an arranger you may get 1000 patterns total but 50 that you can use.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived