Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS Impotence - lost all desire for new gear!!

dansouth

Originally posted by soapbox:

It's important to start back sllooowwllyy ....... or you'll jar the system, and I have just the ticket! Heh, heh, heh ...

Dan, Melodyne waits for you ... Hear it calling your name ... It's "Melo" for your current mellow mood ... It's "dyne" for the dynamic way you'll feel when you use it ... It is the F U T U R E, FUTURE, future ...

Mmmm-melodyne! It could BE the future, Future, FUTURE! But I'm too lazy to fool around with audio tracks. (That's why I never got into ProTools.) I'll send my tracks your way for editing; how's that?

I am thinking about a new piece of gear, though. So far we've been enjoying a platonic relationship through the display window. She's a real tease, that one! She let me download some of her pictures over the web. Hubba, hubba! I'm gonna have to DO her one of these days... :D

Volvos are ugly, and the people who drive them are a menace to society. They always pull out in front of you, drive twenty miles an hour in a 55 zone, then a half-mile down the road, turn into a parking lot WITHOUT SIGNALING. Couldn't they have WAITED three seconds for you to pass in the first place? Volvos are for people from an alternate universe who can't see the cars that exist in this one.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Volvos are ugly, and the people who drive them are a menace to society. They always pull out in front of you, drive twenty miles an hour in a 55 zone, then a half-mile down the road, turn into a parking lot WITHOUT SIGNALING. Couldn't they have WAITED three seconds for you to pass in the first place? Volvos are for people from an alternate universe who can't see the cars that exist in this one.

I'm surprised to hear this kind of words from you.

But if that's how you see me, Ok.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Robert Smedberg ]

Ahhh - stereotyping. I'm surprised at you, Dan...

dB

Volvo 850 owner - and loving it. Great car...

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Hmm, in Dallas, that would be the people who drive big pickups and suburbans (the texas cadillac) .... except they would drive 75 in a 55 zone, just like everyone else around here.

Dan, I have a suggestion that may elleviate this lack of GAS. Get yourself down to the nearest store and try out absynth. It's a neat little program and can get you lusting after macs and soft synths. :)

Like John, I blame the synth industry for the lack of consumer spirit. Whatever happened to the fantastic claims of old:

"imagine a sound... then make it"

"sound like any instrument real or imagined"

"want an evocative sound that starts with an eerie wind blowing and gradually transforms into a single human voice? You can do it on our Poseidon symphothizer."

They must have accountants writing their advertising copy these days:

"mumble, zeoiueir, hard drive, lkjdsofieidc, physical model, lkjsd9oriedlk, 32 bit,KJHJK resolution, &&& softer synth*&^$%#keoiu, terrabytes, the NWW3546-KJ-4567 synthesizer uses 6600 sounds from the much loved NWW3546-KJ-4566, mumble" etc.

They make buying a new synth almost as exciting as buying a pc peripheral. :(:(:(

As a patriotic consumer I am so glad to see GAS inducing exceptions like andromeda and voyager. :)

Jerry

Guys, today I did it! Old car is history, new wheels before the weekend!

I just signed the contract for an (almost new) New Beetle.

And...Dansouth, what's the verdict ?

/Mats

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Robert Smedberg:

I'm surprised to hear this kind of words from you.

But if that's how you see me, Ok.

Robert, this is a U.S. phenomemon. European Volvo drivers are okay. Besides, in Europe, MOST cars are ugly - especially French cars. Volvo's look good there, by comparison. :D

Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se:

Guys, today I did it! Old car is history, new wheels before the weekend!

I just signed the contract for an (almost new) New Beetle.

And...Dansouth, what's the verdict ?

/Mats

The Beetle, modern or classic, is the COOLEST car ever manufactured. EVER!

The Beetle, modern or classic, is the COOLEST car ever manufactured. EVER!

:):):)

It was a blast to test-drive.

Back seat is almost useless, still: Family is very happy about our new Yellow bug!

/Mats

Originally posted by Rabid:

So how do you fit keyboards into it?

It won't fit!

Besides, we only have interns with station wagons ;)

No, seriously, the back seat in the bug is folding and then there is enough room for gear. And I don't gig that often anymore, so often when we need to move gear it is delivered or picked up by the shop.

/Mats

Mats,

May I come over for a winter test drive along the fjords?

Viking Prospect

:)

Dan, you are always welcome "home"!

Unfortunately we don't have any fjords to offer here, you will have to go to Norway for that.

But we do have plenty of gorgeous viking women, runestones - a big one is less than 500 meters from our studio btw, and there's also some viking audio gear (Some famous Viking brands: Hagstrom, Levin guitars, Clavia/DDrum/NordSynth, Milab mics, Pearl Mics, EBS, LAB Gruppen, Propellerheads/ReCycle/ReBirth/ReWire/Reason, Elektron/SidStation/Machinedrum, Amtech. SAAB, Volvo, IKEA, Ericsson cellphones and Hasselblad cameras are also considered Viking products).

Driving in the winter can be problematic at times, but it is also quite fun. The worst part about cars in the winter is to remove the ice/snow from the windows in the morning, but I have rented a warm garage now so that wont be much of a problem.

And the winter is very mild where I live, we don't get much snow, if any. Mostly it's a lot of melted dirty snow. No snow yet, the temperature is still above freezing. But in the far north of Sweden it is winter by now, great skiing in those mountains also.

And why do you still modestly call yourself a "Viking Prospect" ?

In my book you are a member of the club, our viking-buddy living in Vineland, the continent that famous Viking Leif Ericsson discovered many centuries before Columbus, you could open a consulate for the Viking nation ;)

/Mats

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

My silver New Beetle is so new it hasn't even been to it's first servicing. I love it. I've never payed so little for a car that had such a huge coolness factor.

As far as the back seat goes - it fits my 4 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old, along with their car seats, fit back there fine (and that's saying a lot).

Judging from the progression of this thread - looks like the manufacturers need to get back to the drawing board to create truly compelling products for musicians.

Not the S70 or the S80. Some of these workstations that

do not rely on studio gear for every instance. Can there sounds be disected. This may keep you to occupied to get

GAS, but may provide insight into needed or unneeded gear.

There is at least 25% of sounds in Karma (though it is labeled as a synth) that makes me wonder if it can be dissected, so to speak, in each of its anamolies.

Man, I don't know what's going on! I just have no desire whatsoever to buy new gear. Does this mean that I'm finally satisfied with what I've got? Am I too stressed out over the economy and the war to get my GAS up? Or does this mean that I'm turning, dare I say it...CONSERVATIVE?

"No, honey...I don't really want to go to the music store tonight. Can't we just talk, instead?"

:eek:

Well, there are things you can do to help you work your way out of this funk slowly.

i) Rearrange your studio space. You will inevitably have to buy at least one new cable.

ii) There are all sorts of little odds and ends that you cannot possibly survive without - like a cable tester, for example, or an extra midi output expander box, or a noise meter to make sure you are not blowing your ears off. Or perhaps you don't have a mic stand with just the right boom. All quite cheap and, you should be able to convinve yourself, absolutely essential to your work.

Robert, this is a U.S. phenomemon. European Volvo drivers are okay. Besides, in Europe, MOST cars are ugly - especially French cars. Volvo's look good there, by comparison. :D

I cannot let that go unanswered...most American cars are definitely uglier than, say, a Volvo S80. About French cars, Renaults are not much cool, but Peugeot make definitely beautiful cars, 406 coupé (can you say Pininfarina design?)and 607. Citroen´s big models have always had personality of their own, too (remember the Citroen Maserati?). Actually, the new Citroen C5 is in my short list for a new car http://c5.citroen.com/us/...well, my wife put it in it (I had found an electric blue Audi TT for a very reasonable price) :)

JoseC.

For those of us who are superstitious it might weigh heavy thqt the info on the D/A converter on the nova was not correctly stated as sacrifice in quality. I t is the same as the Supernova. Short message because the other wiped out with wrong password. Thank You for the in depth info on that archive though.

Archived