Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does not midi move the soul?

Dr Teeth

I was talking to some one, telling him about my problem making midi instrument sound just like real ones. he told me: no matter how equal it sounds, the effect in the soul never would be the same that real instruments... what do you think?
Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with him. The so called real instruments are nothing more than non-electronic synthesizers. A violin for instance is a wood and string synthesizer run by a human. Soul comes from the musician. True music exists in the mind.

Michael :cool:

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by LatinMusic:

he told me: no matter how equal it sounds, the effect in the soul never would be the same that real instruments... what do you think?

I think that's nonsense. The only truth to it would apply if you're using the synth to simulate other instruments. Trouble is, too many people still think of synths simply as instrument imitators, rather than instruments with their own character and personality. You can't bend a note on a piano. you can't crescendo a sustaining note on an accoustic guitar. These are things that can easily be done on a synth. Does that mean the piano or guitar is inferior to a synth? Of course not.

The fact is, every instrument has strengths and weaknesses. For example, an alto sax is a monophonic instrument with a useful range of about 3 octaves. Did that prevent Bird from making great music with it? A master instrumentalist is someone who exploits the beauty and ignores the weaknesses of ANY instrument. That's why "obsolete" instruments like the Minimoog or Prophet 5 are just as dear to us as they were when they were cutting edge new. The limitations simply become character traits that are accepted.

That's where the soul comes out. Being able to make an instrument SING and not worry about what you can't do on it. Isn't that what making music is all about? :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

the effect in the soul never would be the same that real instruments...

Don't get me wrong because I love midi and all the advantages it gives, especially writing and composing with headphones at 3AMBUTNOTHING TAKES THE PLACE OF A LIVE BAND/ORCHESTRA/ENSEMBLE/ETC.IN MY BOOK!

Furthermore when I hear artists performing with tracks even if they are recordings of live players I'd still prefer the real thing any day of the week. ;)

Of course that's just my humble opinion even though I've heard some very amazing sound modules, sequences, and the like.

Archived