Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Football now ON TOPIC!

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by meccajay:

Hey surfjazz,

Your guy Patton looked lke Jesus yesterday!!! Just throw/catch/run to him 25 times a game and you guys will look like the Rams...

hooboy! he sure beat the snot out of them all! yeeha! the pats sure are growing out of their diapers! we will show the nfl what football is!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

<>

Very true! At least with Soccer I've watched a full match during world cup, but baseball is soooooooo weird because the defense has the ball and the offense doesn't!! A seventh inning 'stretch' is a sure sign you have an unwatchable sport.

Sorry if I offended any of our International brethren, I like the running!!

Every baseball game has one interesting moment, but I'm usually asleep by then.

Originally posted by jcobelas@navegalia.com:

That reminds me of a World Cup match between USA and, I think, Brazil, when an American forward got his skull fractured by a Brazilian elbow, and it wasn´t even called a foul.

Actually, he got kicked out of the game. His name was Leonardo; I'm kind of glad he got kicked out, cause the player that substituted him in the later games was better and more experienced.

Originally posted by jcobelas@navegalia.com:

OTOH, a 300 pound lineman would die of a heart attack in a UEFA Champions League soccer game before having any chance of getting near the ball.

ROFLMFAO!!!!

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

American football, OTOH, is far more cerebral. Yes, that's right - cerebral - as in a thinking man's game. It's ground acquisition at it's finest. It's war without the mess. It's chess with pads. It ROCKS! I say show me someone who doesn't like American footbal, and I'll show you someone who doesn't understand American football.

Right, you just explained why football is NOT a sport. By your definition chess is a sport. Football is therefore chess for thugs who like to hug each other http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Right, you just explained why football is NOT a sport. By your definition chess is a sport. Football is therefore chess for thugs who like to hug each other http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Lemme get this straight...I say football is chess with pads, and from that you get that I'm saying that chess is a sport? I also said that football was war without the mess - am I saying that war is a sport too?

Pretty far stretch, Rod... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

BTW, if you ever wanna test whether football is a sport, go play it for a while. It's tougher than it looks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Every baseball game has one interesting moment, but I'm usually asleep by then.

There's an interesting moment in every baseball game? Really? I must have slept through damn near every one of them. ;)

Baseball...fun to play...but I'd rather watch grass grow.

- Jeff

Great thread. Can't believe I missed it. To Pim, re: the smartest football team.

The NFL team with the reputation for the highest IQ is the San Francisco 49ers, an aura that still lingers even years (a decade now?) after the departure of supposed visionary Bill Walsh, their former head coach. The smart reputation is also due to their star Quarterback, Joe Montana, brainy but athletic fellow who helmed the "west coast offense," an innovative approach to the passing game that virtutally everyone runs nowadays. This is why they are considered smart, but their football success owes as much to an angry, violent named Ronnie Lott, who could be called cerebreal in that he often worked directly upon the cerebral cortex of his opponent.

Pardon me if you already knew this and were feigning ignorance of Amercian football.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

There's an interesting moment in every baseball game? Really? I must have slept through damn near every one of them. ;)

Baseball...fun to play...but I'd rather watch grass grow.

- Jeff

Anytime I want an afternoon nap, I can always find a baseball game on TV to use as a sedative. In the off-season, there's always golf! :D

American football ROCKS! It's the only sport I enjoy watching on TV. My only pet peeve about the game; When a team stampedes 80 yards down the field, stalls out at the 2 yard line and ends up settling for a field goal. I think any field goal less than 25 yards should only count for 2 points to encourage the offense to go for the touchdown or die!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

So.... can we talk about figure skating?

I like figure skating.....

How about needlepoint? I've made

some fancy pillow cases in my time....

I have many skills... audio engineering,

needlepoint, Olympic security....

hmmm, funny, Jeff told me you were best at Aerobics....NAH! nevermind :) hehe

:D

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Lemme get this straight...I say football is chess with pads, and from that you get that I'm saying that chess is a sport?

Chess IS a sport! Bobby Fischer did a lot of swimming to condition his body for the world championship match with Spasky. Spasky never lost a game that was less than four hours long. Fischer needed to be able to handle the concentration for the long haul, so he improved his physical conditioning.

American football is like chess with really BIG pieces. Except in chess, only one piece can move at a time. In football, twenty-two men move instantly. I've been watching football for twenty-seven years, and I don't understand half of it, it's THAT complex.

Soccer (world football) has a complexity to it, also. It's called a riot.

Archived