Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI / Soundcards

rdcarpenter

I recently purchased a midiman 2x2USB to connect my midi equipment to my G4. I am using Studio Vision Pro 4.5.1. I am receiving the midi signal in the computer but I am getting no sound. Any Advice?

Also

Any input on the sound card/interface? How's the digi001 vs. motu 2408II?

Thanks

rob@actcommgroup.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rdcarpenter:

I recently purchased a midiman 2x2USB to connect my midi equipment to my G4. I am using Studio Vision Pro 4.5.1. I am receiving the midi signal in the computer but I am getting no sound. Any Advice?

Also

Thanks

rob@actcommgroup.com

What sound source is the midi instructing to play? Do you want an external midi signal to control internal (softsynth) sound sources or do want internal (software sequencer) midi to control external hardware soundmodules/synths? Or a mixture of both?

-CB

Originally posted by Bobro:

What sound source is the midi instructing to play? Do you want an external midi signal to control internal (softsynth) sound sources or do want internal (software sequencer) midi to control external hardware soundmodules/synths? Or a mixture of both?

-CB

I want sequencer software to control a external sound module (Korg 05R/W) - How is this effecting sound output?

Thanks for your help

The audio output of the synth has to be correctly routed- there are several possibilities, I'm assuming you want to record the output of your synth to your harddisk.

The analog audio-out of the synth could go directly into the analog audio-in of your soundcard, or the audio-out of the synth could go to some other external gear first, mixer, fx, etc. then to the soundcard, or your analog gear could go to an external A/D convertor then into the digital input of your soundcard.

Anyway, once the audio is routed to the computer, it's a matter of checking the software "mixer" on your soundcard to make sure the appropriate input is active, and checking that the correct inputs are activated within your sequencer/multi-track software.

You could have it set up correctly and have one box checked wrong- after a couple of years of zero problems of this kind, yesterday I was tearing out my hair- no sound! It was just a "mute" accidentally checked on my soundcard mixer.

The sofware routing is usually the pain because it isn't visible like the audio and midi cables and is often hidden in menus.

Hope this helps, there are lots of possibilities, it's just a matter of making sure all the links in the chain work.

-CB

Originally posted by rdcarpenter:

Thanks

rob@actcommgroup.com

Hi Rob

Those are very different beasts.

MOTU

This is a very professional interface. 24 bit operation, fully expandable. It features SEVEN banks of connectivity:

1 Bank of 8 balanced TRS analog I/O

3 Banks of ADAT

3 Banks of TASCAM

plus 1 Stereo I/O S/PDIF

But you can "only" have available a maximum of THREE banks, for a total of 24 channel operation at once.

You can link up to THREE of these machines for a total o 72 channels !

It includes its PCI card (for connecting this and another 2 cards) and includes a copy of AUDIODESK, an audio recorder/sequencer/editor. No MIDI. Pure Audio.

Of course, this interface works perfectly with DIGITAL PERFORMER.

DIGI001

This little marvel sports up to 18 I/O simultaneously:

8 Balanced TRS analog

1 ADAT PORT

1 S/Pdif

1 MIDI PORT (IN / OUT)

It is not as expandable as a MOTU SYSTEM since it was designed as a "lite" I/O for PROTOOLS systems. However it is compatible with the bigger PT systems.

It actually comes bundled with PROTOOLS LE which is a reduced but powerful version of PROTOOLS. 24 tracks (not expandable) of audio. It handles MIDI tracks.

This is, basically, a "ready to go" lite version of PROTOOLS.

Hope this helps...

------------------

Gus Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

Gus TraX @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología