Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

huh?

Intheether

To all elecrical wizards out there:

Why do 90% of intruments/computer gear have easy to use plugs and the other 10% have the monstrosity plugs that you must unplug from the wall after each use? It's a pain in the ass to unplug my rm1x after each session along with my blue tube (which doesn't even HAVE a power button)....Why not use a universal standard in power? Is it cheaper to make products with a DC power supply? I just don't get it.....~nel

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you're talking about wall-warts, not asking for some type of solar or batter power http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

A couple of reasons that I heard keep some manufacturers from putting the power supply IN the unit:

1. Putting it inside the unit requires UL approval. This is a (sometimes) time-consuming task. It delays delivery to market, etc. Using an external power supply allows manufacturers to use someone elses UL approved wall-wart, or they can get their wall-wart approved well before the actual unit is ready so there is no delay.

2. Internal footprint, interference, cost and heat (so there are really 5 reasons). Transformers take up space, generate heat, and (at higher voltages like 11o) cause interference with signals. Manufacturers make a tradeoff to throw the transformer as far away from the unit as possible - Voila!!!! Wall Wart!!! Smaller transformers (to fit in the small space of a rack unit) that meet these requirements are much more expensive.

You rarely see wall-warts come wiht keyboards because the power reqirements are greater AND there's more room to place the transformer farther away from "sensitive" components.

BTW - I circumvent the problem by putting all my wall-warts on separate power strip/strips that can be shut-off with the flick of a switch so power isn't constantly pumping through them (this after a friend who has a solar house told me how much power I was draining for no reason at all).

Originally posted by PatAzz:

I assume you're talking about wall-warts, not asking for some type of solar or batter power http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

A couple of reasons that I heard keep some manufacturers from putting the power supply IN the unit:

1. Putting it inside the unit requires UL approval. This is a (sometimes) time-consuming task. It delays delivery to market, etc. Using an external power supply allows manufacturers to use someone elses UL approved wall-wart, or they can get their wall-wart approved well before the actual unit is ready so there is no delay.

2. Internal footprint, interference, cost and heat (so there are really 5 reasons). Transformers take up space, generate heat, and (at higher voltages like 11o) cause interference with signals. Manufacturers make a tradeoff to throw the transformer as far away from the unit as possible - Voila!!!! Wall Wart!!! Smaller transformers (to fit in the small space of a rack unit) that meet these requirements are much more expensive.

You rarely see wall-warts come wiht keyboards because the power reqirements are greater AND there's more room to place the transformer farther away from "sensitive" components.

BTW - I circumvent the problem by putting all my wall-warts on separate power strip/strips that can be shut-off with the flick of a switch so power isn't constantly pumping through them (this after a friend who has a solar house told me how much power I was draining for no reason at all).

All of the above are good reasons for the wall warts. Plus, when you get to the tone and ampliefing circuits, they require DC voltage to shape the ac signal. they start out with ac because its cheaper to transmit ac over long distances without loss of power. The generator can be thousands of miles from your home. We (Washington state) sell power back and forth to California all the time. The whole state of Oregon is between us.

So if you think you keyboards and whatnots run off AC power, WRONG. The AC is converted to DC. About the only thing I can think of that uses AC from start to finish is an electric cooling fan. Casey

"Let It Be!"

Pat nailed it. I do the same thing, I keep all my wal warts in a power strip and turn it on that way. I have 3 components too that don't have power switches (man, they could at least put THAT!), so it's the best compromise. It's not bad in the studio, but it sure is a pain in ass for gigging.

Originally posted by kcbass:

They start out with ac because its cheaper to transmit ac over long distances without loss of power.

Actually, I don't think you can even trasmit DC over long distances. AC allow to setup up the voltage with transformers and then step down once it gets to a household (to allow transmission with minimum losses), which you can't do with DC.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Another way to minimize a wall wart's footprint is to buy a short, fairly heavy duty extension cord and leave the wall wart plugged into it. That way it becomes a "lump in the middle" cord that takes up no more strip or wall space than a regular AC plug. Of course, you still have to have a seperate strip for anything without a power switch, but those are cheap.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by soapbox:

I hear that Compound-W will get rid of wall warts. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Yeah, but you'd have to buy the Costco size, but wait until the girl finds all that "W" in your possession... rest assured she'll jump to the wrong conclusion http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Originally posted by PatAzz:

Yeah, but you'd have to buy the Costco size, but wait until the girl finds all that "W" in your possession... rest assured she'll jump to the wrong conclusion http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

What the f--k are you talking about? Besides, I don't have a clue to what a Compound-W is...

Please explain it all in plain English to a puzzled European!

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Wall-warts in a strip, sounds like a Tom Waits song but that's what I do too.

Hopefully you all know about the Edison/Tesla AC/DC thing. An old teacher of mine lived in a building in Manhatten wired for DC... in the 1930's! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

-CB

Originally posted by nelz:

What a great solution!...I never even thought of putting them all on one power strip. BIG duh to me! (whatever the hell that means....) Thanks guys ~nel

Hey Nelz,

Look to your local computer supply store first. They have power strip/surge protectors that leave enough space to plug in the biggest warts. The power strip I now have has 6 outlets but only lets me plug in two big warts. Casey

"Let It Be!"

Get some that have the plugs(ground) aiming to the side of the power bar.. They could be hard to come by but they are there..

I hear ya.. I've actually not bought things that have an adaptor..

Just one more thing to figure out..

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

Archived