Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg MS2000 or what else

Mr Blab Blab Bla

I'm a dyed in the wool rhodes player wanting some analogue sounds. The MS2000 leaps out at me because.

a) It looks cool

b) it has a vocoder

But as far as sounds, the Korg demos (all bloody techno) I've heard don't shout vintage analogue to me. I'm after sounds like early Stevie Wonders "Superwoman" Arp with portamento sound (anyone know that tune?).

So is the MS2000 capable of doing that or is it just a techno machine?

Peace

Neil

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Novation Supernova II sounds pretty analog and the interface seems logical to me. I felt the keyboard version is more money than I want to part with at the moment and I don't like rackmount gear. The Roland JP8000 and 8080 don't sound old-school analog but the 8080 has a vocoder, 10-voice polyphony, lots of knobs, and can be had for $1000.

Maybe someone could recommend a softsynth, such as the Pro25 that emulates a Prophet-5....a classic synth.

A have a MS2000 and you can get some very good analog sound out of it not just techno sounds.

I am sure there will be other people suggesting other synths but I love the sounds and programablily of the MS

you can get some really warm sounds out of it.

Go to http://iandixon.tripod.com/downloads

and listen to 'The 1st Bell' all the sounds (except for the pan pipe) are from the MS2000.

The vocoder is great!

Ian

Originally posted by neil loughran:

Thanks guys...Definitely gotta be hardware, I wanna play it live.

I can't seem to get your mp3s to work, I get invalid data error

Peace

Neil

the link works on my PC, it maybe to do with the way I encoded it.

I can always email the mp3 or WMA?

The MS2000 is good for live stuff, all the knobs!

Ian

Neil,

Just last week I posted on this forum "Did I make a mistake?" as I had just ordered an MS2000---Well I got it yesterday and I'm no keyboard player, this was a studio addition, but the thing just blows me away! The sounds are fat, fat, fat. Virtual patching is cool, I have to give the MS 2 thumbs up!!

really? Thats great.

On the other hand I was talking to guys on the rhodes list and they told me that it sounds like a digital and is thin? Now I checked the demos at korg.com... but they sound awful to me.

I'm after the Stevie Wonder "Superwoman" Arp sound or perhaps his sound on Michael Jacksons "I Can't Help It" from the Off The Wall LP... both classic and beautiful Rhodes and synth tunes.

peace

neil

Originally posted by neil loughran:

really? Thats great.

On the other hand I was talking to guys on the rhodes list and they told me that it sounds like a digital and is thin? Now I checked the demos at korg.com... but they sound awful to me.

I don't think she sounds thin or digital, i guess it depends on how you program it, you should hear some of the pads they are very warm.

I have been using the pads on my new stuff, its very nice

It does have a edge though.

Ian

Archived