Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monitor advice

mwisniewski

1. Which would you recommend? The Alesis M1, Yamaha MSP5, KRK V6 or something else?

2. Is it worth it to get a sub-woofer, or should I just use my KC-500 amps when needed?

NOTES:

I mainly want something for the house that sounds clear at low volumes.

My budget is ~US500 but I'm flexible http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm not recording, though I'm planning to in about a year.

I'm using a Roland XV-88 (no XLRs)

This message has been edited by mwisniewski on 08-16-2001 at 07:11 AM

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so subjective. Your choice will (should?) be different based upon usage, type of music, volume, etc. Will you play for long stretches at a time? Do you live in a noisy neighborhood (buy headphones ;-)? Are you playing scales, jazz licks, or programming ethereal sounds? How much are you willing to put out? Will you be using them as reference monitors to mix?

Find a salesperson you trust and ask them what they think AND WHY... My bet is it won't be the first, second or third salesperson you talk to... especially if they begin by quoting specs or magazine reviews - they should be asking you what kind of music you play and all of the questions above. Once you find the right salesperson, stick with them as long as they do right by you.

Hello Mel,

Have you or do you work for Lowrey ?

Of the Monitors you listed ..I would choose the MSP5's .

The other monitors are flat . The MSP5's are more performance based for keyboards . Just my opinion . DanO

------------------

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Hi, thanks for the advice, good point on performance vs. recording, it's something I wasn't taking into account.

BTW: I'm not Mel from Lowrey http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Yeah I should change my handle, it's confusing,

Originally posted by mwisniewski:

Hi, thanks for the advice, good point on performance vs. recording, it's something I wasn't taking into account.

One thing I due is to switch on/off the eq. I have an eq (stereo 15? band) right before the amp. I usually have it on to play; I like the more 'hyped' sound. I'll turn it off if I want to listen to a mix more carefully.

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived