Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis thread - adios

Dave Bryce

For those of you who wondered what happened to the "Whazzup with Alesis" thread, I nuked it.

It was getting a bit...shall we say...out of hand.

And Donnie - although I appreciate you becoming the advertising police over the mention of the VIPRE shipping, none of the people who mentioned it have anything to do with making, marketing or selling it. It is a Groove Tubes product, not an Alesis or a Tascam product. It's kind of okay to talk about gear here, y'know... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Everybody play nice now, okay? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

You need to be careful about what kind of message your sending here. I never advertised anything in my post at all. I never even said anything was for sale. I agree that saying something is shipping IS harmless but I was making a point. Your sending the message that large companies in the spotlight can get away with things and smaller guys better not even post a link to their site. It just doesn't seem right. Oh and don't think for a minute that people still don't see the connection between GT and Alesis.

I just think things need to be more fair all the way around.....

Donnie

Ouch.. I mentioned Vipre because both Dave and I got to hear it (and Dave used it to excellent effect) during it's development. Alesis and Groove Tubes are completely separate now regarding Vipre:

http://www.groovetubes.com/Pages/index.html

Neither Alesis nor myself receive anything from it's being mentioned here and from any sales etc. It's just a great device. Running a digital synth through it makes it sound great. An analog synth through it sounds... "more" . I brought it up because it's now shipping so it's fresh on my want list. Other great gear to run synths through, deserving equal mention: all Manley and TubeTech gear.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Peake,

No harm was meant to you at all so my apologies if it seemed that way. I just want to make sure that there is a universal standard that everyone, big or small, must follow.

Donnie

You need to be careful about what kind of message your sending here. I never advertised anything in my post at all.

Oh, boy...more fun and games. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

What was the purpose of your thread, Donnie? Are you saying that it wasn't to show off the quality of your samples in the hopes that you would attract interest?

I never even said anything was for sale.

You did not use those exact words, no. If you need to have that specific point conceded, I will do so. Nonetheless, you and I and everyone else on this forum understand quite clearly that this was the reason that you posted the thread in the first place.

I agree that saying something is shipping IS harmless but I was making a point.

Your point is invalid - it is based on misleading information, just like your "beta test". Saying that a product made by another company is shipping has nothing to do with a specific manufacturer playing dishonest games in order to promote his own product.

Keep spinning, Donnie - I'm sure that you're winning all kinds of people over to your way of seeing things. I'll bet you're gonna sell lots of product to the folks on this forum...

Your sending the message that large companies in the spotlight can get away with things and smaller guys better not even post a link to their site.

Ummm - you're the only one who is getting that message, Donnie.

Oh and don't think for a minute that people still don't see the connection between GT and Alesis.

There WAS a connection between GT and Alesis - that has been severed a long time ago. There is no connection between them now at all. You're reaching, and you know it. So do we. Besides which, the VIPRE was brought up in an incendiary thread in order to try and change the sunject to something less incendiary...of course, you don't see that - all you see is that you were wronged.

I'll tell you what - let's put it out to the group, shall we? How many people here think that Donnie was wronged? How many people think that his thread was fair, and fun, and think that I am persecuting him unfairly? How many people here think that he should be allowed to play his games and show us how good his samples are, so that we can NOT buy them from him, because after all, he's NOT selling or advertising anything?

I just think things need to be more fair all the way around.....

Hey, if you think that I am running my forum in an unfair manner, you are always free to go hang out somewhere else.

dB

Dave, don't get into it because somebody else is. Donnie, I saw what happened in your thread & buddy you are wrong. Let it go or go hang out somewhere's else

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Dave, don't get into it because somebody else is. Donnie, I saw what happened in your thread & buddy you are wrong. Let it go or go hang out somewhere's else

Ditto.

Let it go hang out somewhere else.

DS:

Let me set this up for you:

Your original post asked which was live, and which wasn't. The entire point of your post was moot, because that was not what you offered us. Hell, you didn't even offer us the same damn instruments to listen to. A proper beta test (and I would know, because I've been a beta tester for Microsoft FoxPro on 2 separate occasions) would have been better set up if you used the same instruments both times, but effected differently, or with different decay times, etc., and said "Okay, I'm creating this kiler new sound set. Which sounds better?" No, you tried to play "stump the keyboard geeks" and it backfired. I pretty much believe that you left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

It's a losing proposition, Bubba. Take your licks like a man, and we'll all go forward from here.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Wow....three long time senior members chime in defending Dave. Yeah, thats a real cross section of this forum.

I am going to say this one more time then I'm going to leave it alone. The bottom line of the problem here is that you guys were fooled. Dave came on and gave a huge "expert" overview of why number 1 was the live one. I'm sure he was quite confident in himself and thought he had pegged it. However he was wrong. The should be no shame in this at all.

To me this would have been the proper way to handle this:

To say something like "wow, you really had me fooled those are some really great samples". "However, I wish you would have been more honest with us in the first place". AND/OR "also we really don't allow advertising on our site"----even though I didn't do this!

To summerize......

You were fooled and you are obviously the type of person who NEVER likes to be wrong; especially in a group. I will also make this point again because it is worth making. If someone came on here with two sequenced brass, woodwind, string, or ANYTHING else and tried to pass one off as real then you guys could have spotted it in a minute. Don't you think you could of Dave? Mine fooled you as evidence of your long winded explination of why it was REAL and you got embarrassed and took the post down. That was the ONLY reason you took the post down and you know it.

End of story!

Originally posted by joegerardi:

DS:

Let me set this up for you:

Your original post asked which was live, and which wasn't. The entire point of your post was moot, because that was not what you offered us. Hell, you didn't even offer us the same damn instruments to listen to. A proper beta test (and I would know, because I've been a beta tester for Microsoft FoxPro on 2 separate occasions) would have been better set up if you used the same instruments both times, but effected differently, or with different decay times, etc., and said "Okay, I'm creating this kiler new sound set. Which sounds better?" No, you tried to play "stump the keyboard geeks" and it backfired. I pretty much believe that you left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

It's a losing proposition, Bubba. Take your licks like a man, and we'll all go forward from here.

Could you be any more of an idiot? What the heck would be the difference in two examples if they were both the same instrument???? EQ, Reverb??? what would that prove?

Face it...I did stump the "geeks"-----oh, and that was very well put! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Donnie

Donnie, neither Dave nor anyone else who chimed in on the live or memerox question were wrong. It was a rigged question with no right answer, like asking which is coke and which is pepsi after serving up two unmarked cans of RC. Dave et al. were wrong only in that they trusted the sincerity and good intention of your question. You deliberately set out to engage people's critical listening with a ruse. Thus the gripe is not only that you're using this forum for covert marketing but also that it was sleazy marketing. You rigged a question with no right answer and now you're arguing that Dave was wrong? That's compounding sleaze with sleaze.

You make an excellent product, best in class. Anyone who keeps up on current sample libraries knows that. I just think your whole overture to this forum was ill-advised. And my sense of the audience here tells they'd be cool with it if you acknowledged the validity of their response.

Just my reaction.

John, steadfast and mortally sworn to defend the honor and enact the will of my Lord Dave Bryce. Right, Donnie?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by DS Soundware:

Could you be any more of an idiot? What the heck would be the difference in two examples if they were both the same instrument???? EQ, Reverb??? what would that prove?

Face it...I did stump the "geeks"-----oh, and that was very well put! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Donnie

I never voted on the subject, so I came into this after the reading all the other thread. I have no vested interest in defending my position from the original thread because it didn't exist..

We "long timers" ARE the cross section of the forum. Our time here does not mean we are stamped of the same mold.

Sure. I could be a LOT more an idiot. I could continue to argue with a clueless defensive person who hasn't the sense to shut up and go on with life. Dave's the moderator. What he says goes. If he doesn't like it, you can abide by his decision, or take your ball and go home.

I shan't continue on this any longer. You obviously feel the need to justify yourself, and one can never reason with someone that needs to rationalize themselves. Reply as much as you want, I will not.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by Magpel:

...they trusted the sincerity and good intention of your question. You deliberately set out to engage people's critical listening with a ruse. Right, Donnie?

I must say, I did not participate in your thread as it seemed like a waste of time, especially considering the high audio quality of the mp3 format. But those on this forum, who are more generous with their valuable time than I am, did give your post a chance, and you wasted their time. Not cool. You were lying. If this seems like a good way to market something of yours, best of luck. My guess though, is that you've pissed off a bunch of people who will now be more than happy to slam you and your product, every chance they get. That makes you the idiot, doesn't it.

I felt duped, and I thought it was deliberately ambiguougmisleading. Not a good way to do a test, and a worse way to do business.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I'm not really in the "inner circle" of this forum, though I've been following things for a while. A couple of observations...

Dave is the moderator - he gets to make the rules. I can't imagine there is anything to be gained by arguing with him.

If you had taken his initial feedback and said, "ok," you'd be in a better position today than you are. Instead, you have argued and continue to argue your point when the sentiment of the other members of the forum is clearly in disagreement. I can't imagine there is anything to be gained by continuing to argue.

Experience isn't what happens to you, it's what you do with what happens to you. I don't think you were wronged, DS, and I don't think Dave plays favorites, but this whole thing would have been over a long time ago if you just let it go.

I'll say this and then I'm going to let it rest....

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone by my intial post. My intention of the whole thread was to see if I could pass off my samples as the real thing. The ONLY way to do that indiscriminately was to say that one was real and was wasn't. Think of the commercials about butter and margenine or sweat n' low and real sugar. They would do test's and say it was the real thing and then reveal, after they had fooled everyone, that it was margerine. What was the peoples reaction when they were told the truth? Were they mad? NO! they were happy because here was a better solution that was just as good as the real thing. This is the point I think we are missing here.

FYI....I had done this same thing on another forum and had ALL positive responses. Not ONE person got mad.

Donnie

If someone came on here with two sequenced brass, woodwind, string, or ANYTHING else and tried to pass one off as real then you guys could have spotted it in a minute.

Donnie - you are an arrogant, delusional ass.

Oh, no wait a minute - what I meant to say is that you are the only guy to ever create a realistic sample ever! You're so clever and so talented! How could we have possible missed that? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Mine fooled you as evidence of your long winded explination of why it was REAL and you got embarrassed and took the post down. That was the ONLY reason you took the post down and you know it.

Umm, I hate to point this out to you, Sparky, but the whole thread, including my post, is still up. See? I decided to leave the thread intact so everyone could see who and what you are. You just think that it's down because you don't understand that it is now on page two, Brainiac. Go have a look at my "long-winded" explanation - the whole post is only five sentences long.

Additionally, I recommend that you use a spellchecker before posting...on another forum, since I have grown tired of your bullshit and will now delete any of your additional posts.

Thanks for visiting. Don't let the door hit you in the ass, okay? Best of luck with your business.

dB

Archived