Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new synth or box with the best and most creative sounds

phoebeh

- Hi I'm looking for this sites many wonderful and knowledgable folks to give me a hand. As I search to create a "new" sound my explorations have led me to many wonderful sounding of old analogue synths. However, my question is can anyone suggest a NEW synth that has many, many cool and creative sounds. As well as, sounds that I can create that would be very hard to duplicate elsewhere? Thanks so much! L-

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am shopping for a new board, so I'll share some of my own recent musings and experiences. I bought and returned a Roland RS 5, which is a very decent board and a great value, but only whetted my appetite for something more advanced. last night, I tinkered for a good while with both a Triton and a Z1. Now a music store setting where a guy is in the next room trying out a host of rockabilly licks at top volume is not conducive to evaluating a synth. neither is crouching under the yamaha unit so you can see the display on the Korg...

The Triton did not blow me away on the level of presets, but of course it's such an multi-featured unit that it's hard to really get a feel for it. The Z1, now that's a different story. What a wild and deeply editable synth. If you like the analogue sounds and like to get way in over your head with programming. check this one out. Look down the page here at this forum and you'll find a long thread devoted to the Z1. I also plinked a bit on the Yamaha S30 and S80. very good presets on those, and they too are expandable with Yammy's PLG cards, which are not mere collections of additional ROM sounds but actual synths on a card. They actually expand your polyphony. And they're pretty cheap. They are abig reason that the Yamaha Motif is of interest to me, though I haven't tried it yet. The s30 and S80 appear to be good "bread and butter" synths.

Well I'm just rambling. I guess my recommendation is: add the Korg Z1 to your list of boards to try out.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Other then what's mentioned, that's two that come to mind that are pretty unique.

Yamaha FS1R

Kawai K5000

Well, best and creative is personal at best, anyways....

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by phoebeh:

I'm open to using any synth or device that can me the newest most orignal crazy cool sounds that can be almost impossible to duplicate.

As suggested above, try a Korg Z1. Also, see if you can find a used Yamaha VL1, or one of the synths spun off from it. The Waldorf wavetable synths are fun too, but the others are definitely more radical.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

phoebeh, I agree with Magpel that you should check out the Z1 thread . There was a good discussion about that synth. Of course, playing with the Z1 itself will tell you even more.

I made several posts already in the thread I linked to above about the Z1, but Ill repeat one thing I said in the other thread in response to the option Chris100 suggested about upgrading the Triton with the Z1 card:

"In the case of the MOSS board, you get six voices (I believe it's six) of Z1 power coupled with the strengths of the Triton. That's a definite plus. The downside of going this way is that, not only do you have fewer voices of physical modeling, but also you lack the tailor-made interface to it that the Z1 keyboard provides."

If you prefer the Triton, but also like the Z1, I would go with this option. Otherwise, if the thing you like best about the Z1 is how easy it is to tweak away, I would definitely get the Z1 itself. I am happy that I did!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived