Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the synth on...

bg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be totaly wrong---and I am quite often--but something's sticking in my head that Winwood suggested the synth was a Multimoog, using the ribbon controller and hard sync and downward bends to get the "sax" right. Might've been a Keyboard mag interview. Anybody remember this?

K.

I remember a Winwood video, although he had the name covered up the 32 blue/green patch buttons gave it away as a DX-7; unfortunately I can't remember if that video was of the song mentioned. It does sound DX-ish...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Besides the identifiable sound, there's a lot of subtle pitchbending on this solo. I've always been impressed by how skillfully it was played. The pitchbending is relentless, but it never sounds mechanical.

The "sax" solo was a Multimoog. I believe the string pad was played on a Yamaha CS80, which blended nicely with the Hammond in the song. I remember Styx used a similar blend about that time, but with an Oberheim layered with the organ.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I believe that he used a foot pedal to subtly open and close the filter while playing the solo.

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

• 2 months later...

Archived