Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best studio vocal mic? best compressor?

I'm another recent fan of the Joe Meek VC1Qcs as an inexpensive all in one box. I'd also go with the AT4050 over the C1 or just about any other mic in the same price range. I just used the VCQ1cs that a client brought in with my 4050 and got some great results that sure surprised the heck out of me. Also used it as a DI for the bass and again I was very surprised at the great results. For about $500 the VCQ1cs is great value just for the classic Joe Meek compressor tone by it's self and get a good mic-pre and useable Eq as well thrown in. The exciter is ok and more of an effect that an everyday useable feature. AudioGaff
- AudioGaff -

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VLZ Pro Mackie preamps actually are pretty decent. I think you can get a API 512 mic preamp through mercenary.com for under $800. I've NEVER used these, but they are highly regarded, esp. for drums. Maybe someone can give a better opinion? I have the Mackie VLZ Pros, which I use for drums, and the Peavey VMP-2, which is nice for $600 used, a little over $800 new, I think. Consider the new FMR mic preamp for about US$500. Supposed to be nice and clean. I reposted Harvey Gerst's opinion on it earlier on this and the George Massenburg forum. Post and tell us what you think of the RNC/C1 combo.

I too, like the Meek stuff for budget preamps... I have a couple of VC3Q's and their replacements, the MQ3's. They're pretty cool on gtrs and toms too. The RNP is definitely a mic preamp to consider - two channels for under $500 of transparent preamplification. The RNC is, for a dedicated compressor, the best deal going at under $200. Mics are like everything else - subjective. I just helped one of our clients set up a basic home studio, and we ended up going for the BLUE Baby Bottle for the vocal mic. On her voice (which can be somewhat nasal and strident), the relatively subdued highs (it has no presence peak to speak of) work very well, but on a different singer, it would be the totally wrong mic, and an NTK might be better. On this particular person, and NTK would be totally wrong... IOW, you've got a lot of nice options to consider, but you're just going to have to try them out and see what works best for you. Best of luck,

The API 312 or 512 are killer, kick ass and fat sounding. Phatt-er than a lot of the tube stuff that is out there. But when you buy the mic pre module you will also need a power supply and frame to use it in and that is about an extra $800 for the 2-ch frame and PS. But once you hear the API stuff you will want at least one of everything they make so an investment into a 4-ch lunchbox frame/PS or 6-ch frame and PS will be cheaper in the long run. AudioGaff
- AudioGaff -

[quote]Originally posted by AudioGaff: [b]The API 312 or 512 are killer, kick ass and fat sounding. Phatt-er than a lot of the tube stuff that is out there. But when you buy the mic pre module you will also need a power supply and frame to use it in and that is about an extra $800 for the 2-ch frame and PS. But once you hear the API stuff you will want at least one of everything they make so an investment into a 4-ch lunchbox frame/PS or 6-ch frame and PS will be cheaper in the long run. AudioGaff[/b][/quote]Oh, puhhhhhhhh....are you serious? I was thinking that at $800 or so, I might someday stretch and get one, but if it's got this added cost, it's gonna be a loooooooong time before I get one. :cry: I am interested in getting high-quality digital converters as well, and was looking at the Apogee Mini-Me, since it has two mic preamps, soft limiting that allegedly actually sounds good, and of course, really good digital converters. It costs about $1250. Is this a good way to go for converters + mic preamps in one package, or should one consider getting something like the RNP + whatever good converters one can scrape up for about $7-800? What's your opinion?

While I have not heard the Apogee Mini-Me, it does seem to be a great little package. I would expect the preamp to be clean, detailed and boring compared to some of the great stuff that is available right now. If you like, need or want some clean preamps and converters would think the Mini-Me would surfice nicely. I have several preamps to choose from so I'd rather just have some good converters and choose my preamp or other source for each use. Back to the API preamp... Go and hear one. It is not like anything else you have experienced. Mic or as a DI for bass/guitar. I was a late bloomer and have only had my 512 for year now and just got the 525 compressor/limiter and this is one of the best combos of tone and control one could ask for. I sold my Summit Audio micpre/comp/limiter because the API was twice as phatt and open sounding in tone. AudioGaff
- AudioGaff -

Thanks. I actually heard that this new Apogee is clean without being "boring" (sterile), so that's why the interest for me. Anybody else? And yes, I've gotta hear one of those APIs!! The best mic pres I have right now are the Peavey VMP2, and while those are excellent for the price (good bass DI, too), I want to have mic preamps that are a noticeable step up.

I like my Meek for some things,My VC1 has a decent pre,and it's great on bass and kick drum,but I don't think it's really transparent enough to be used for tracking on a vocal chain. I have to say go for the RNC and C1 combo.At that price get a pair of compressors and C1s.The Ward Beck pres are a good idea,but if you have trouble with mic specs,I suspect that racking and wiring of these units might be best left to a pro. If you can find the Peavy tube pres and compressors get them.They are one of the best buys in audio today.Stay away from hybid designs that employ both tube and solid state(ie..ART,DBX etc.)Hi quality solid state is great,So are hi quality tube units,but they cost a little more.Vintage gear can be had at resonable prices that seem to keep climbing,so it can be a good investment.Just keep in mind that vintage gear can also need some TLC to be brought back to spec,and some tubes are no longer made and are quite rare,and expensive

Audiofreek just recommended to stay away from mixtures of tube and solid state, but... Has anybody tried the Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp? I was planning on getting the FMR RNP, but at this point, they're low in stock, and you can only order directly from the manufacturer. A sales rep was selling me hard on the VTB-1. I resisted, but since Studio Projects seems to be performing miracles with their microphones, I figured it would be worth gauging public opinion on their preamp, as well.

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]Audiofreek just recommended to stay away from mixtures of tube and solid state, but... Has anybody tried the Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp? [/b][/quote]No, but I would build on that and say stay away from CHEAP hybrid designs. I think that Millenia has a mic pre in which you can choose the signal path -- solid-state or tube -- and use that to color the sound accordingly. I'm sure that Audiofreek doesn't mean this one, and it is an apples/oranges comparison to the ART and other stuff, but I just figured I'd mention it to clarify.

I just wanted to say thanks again to everybody for all of your advice and help. I just ordered a C1 mic, FMR Really Nice Compressor and FMR Really Nice Preamp for my home studio. I'll let you know how it everything turns out.

Archived