Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack????

dalpozlead

I have a Korg iX300..., anybody could help me telling if it is a good idea to use my korg as a controller and buy a rack, ( triton or K2600 ) ?

I don't know anything about midi interfaces or how to control the sounds using a rack but any help will be great!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things to keep in mind.

Can the korg ix send on multiple channels at the same time to use splits and layers? I don't know about the triton, but I'm pretty sure that with the k2600, since the k2000 behave this way (it should be the same), you can send on only midi channel and the kurz will rechannelize based on the key range, so even if the controller is only sending in one midi channel you can still use splits and layers. Check to see what the capabilities for the ix is on this regard.

The other reason is controller sliders/knobs. Most keyboards will have typically a few sliders that can be assigned to specific controllers, so that you can adjust things like pan, filter cuttoff frequency, chorus depth, lfo speed in real time. 4 is a typical number. The k2600 has 8 I think, not sure about the triton. Does the ix have any? Is that important to you?

In the subject of controllers, does the ix have a pitchbend and mod wheel? I think this a must for controllers. Does it have inputs for switch pedals (ie sustain), continuous controller pedals (volume). I think you should have at least one of each.

The other thing is program change messages. Do you want to set up the ix so that you can change programs there and have it setup the program program in the module, or are happy on changing it manually? Different synths have different conventions, and most of them don't like to talk to each other in this regard http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

There's probably other issues, but I can't think of anything. I've recently started favoring more modules, I currently have 3 keyboards and I'm strongly thinking about 'down sizing'. I hope the explanation is clear, if not I'll explain in more depth.

This message has been edited by Rod CA on 07-29-2001 at 05:53 PM

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived