Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP-3 for home/practice/fun?

woody39

In order to learn to play piano/keyboard I'm thinking about buying a Roland FP-3 with two Yamaha MSP5 powered monitors. I eliminated the Yamaha P50 and P200 because I like the accompaniments that the FP-3 has for practice. I like the piano sounds of all three, at least as well as I could tell in that zoo called Mars Music. I do plan to go back and listen some more. I'm not even a beginner yet so any comments on this setup would be appreciated.

Also, Mars Music is local, but Zzounds.com has by far the best price I've seen on the FP-3 at $949.95, in an unsealed package from Roland (???), but with full factory warrenty. I'm not familiar with these people at all, so if you have had any experience with Zzounds, I'd appreciate a comment on them, too.

Many thanks.

------------------

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats a good price and the action on the keyboard is fairly realistic, at least I thought so...if you really don't play at all and do not play any other musical instrument you might want to consider a cheaper Yamaha with built in speakers before you go too far.

A keyboard is such a subjective thing. I'll be the first one to ring in and say let your hands and ear be the guide. Whatever you enjoy the most is what will inspire you to play and thats what it is all about.

Personally, I prefer the both of the Yamahas (P200, P80) to the Roland unit that you mentioned because I favor both their sound and keyboard action. For practicing the P80 has a cool 2 track sequencer that will allow you to play base lines and then solo on the top of them. That could be a wonderful tool for a beginner.

Another board that is really popular that costs just a little more than the Roland is the Kawai MP 9000. Great keboard, very realistic compare to an actual grand piano and very good sounds. You will need some speakers if you go with this board, no built in.

One thing I can say for sure, if you want to learn to play the piano you need to make sure that you get a weighted keyboard (all of the above are weighted) and I would also recommend the full 88 keys (all above are).

One other unit you may want to look into is the Alesis DG8: (this is what I play, built in speakers (Great Sound System), GREAT piano/electric sounds IMHO and expansion optinos. Its as easy to use as any keyboard could ever be. They are going really cheap at Guitar Centers right now I'm told. You could pick up a keyboard/stand for under 1500.00 if you can find them in stock. They may not have some of the practice options you are looking for, but they are wonderful instruments for the beginner or professional.

I have heard nothing but good things about ZZsounds, so I wouldn't personally hesitate to do business with them if they have cheaper prices. Others opinions and experiences may vary on this issue.

Good luck in keyboard hunting, take your time and play it a lot in the store (headphones can be a wonderful way to actually hear the keyboards at a zoo like MARS).

Peace,

Fletch

Do you have the space for a real piano? There is nothing like the real thing.....if I didn't live in an apartment in NYC, I'd have the real deal....mind you there is nothing wrong with keys but why not get a real piano if its practical and you don't mind having it tuned once and a while, especiallu if you are just playing for fun.

Archived