Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I must be crazy ...

mwisniewski

Is it just me or do you feel/play/think differently when your monitor amp is on the right vs. the left side? Yeah I know all about the left/right brain stuff, I just seem to be a little different http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ... depending on which side the music is coming from.

Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

... I want to hear it mostly in my left ear.

Hey yeah, what's up with that? That's the same way with me, I "think" I play better when the music's coming from the left side. Well at least, I'm not the only one who's nuts http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I play best when it's coming from both sides, which is why I try to monitor in stereo whenever possible. I use a pair of Mackie SRM-450 for this. For gigs where space is a concern, or I just don't want to carry both of those beasts (they're compact but heavy) I prefer my wedge be right behind me, far enough away so the low end has some space in which to develop. I've definitely noticed that if I'm right on top of my wedge, I get complaints from other bandmembers that my stage volume is too loud, even though I'm not hearing myself adequately. Six feet or more away and everything is fine.

Also noticed that when in stereo, I do better if I put both behind me next to one another, as oppsed to facing each other with me in the middle. Something to do with phase cancellation, no doubt.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived