Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Leads

MusicaL

Hi all

I am looking for a board or a rack, whether new or vintage that is packed full of great synth lead patches. I don't need any pianos, EP's, strings, organs, or anything other than good synth leads. Is there such an animal, and if so what's its name? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EMU XL (Extreme Lead?) comes to mind. I think they still sell it. I think the only gripe about it was the limited effects, soundwise it was pretty cool. It's a 1U module.

Most of the VA's have some pretty cool lead sounds too. I haven't done too much research on them so I'll stop here http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Albert, she exists and her name is Nord. Trying fooling around on one, especially the pitch stick, and I think you'll be hooked. Needs an effects unit to go through, but they're cheap enough nowadays.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I would look into the new Minimoog Voyager from Bob Moog's Big Briar. It's real analog, with three oscillators and *the* Moog sound. If THAT doesn't satisfy your needs in lead sounds, nothing will!

Originally posted by marino:

I would look into the new Minimoog Voyager from Bob Moog's Big Briar. It's real analog, with three oscillators and *the* Moog sound. If THAT doesn't satisfy your needs in lead sounds, nothing will!

If only we could HEAR how it sounds! I can't believe they couldn't display a functioning one for the NAMM show, especially after all the hype. Makes me think they haven't finished it yet. I'm sorry, but I'm not about to commit $3K to an instrument that technically doesn't exist yet, no matter how pretty it looks. Maybe they're planning to have Jan Hammer be the first to publicly play the real thing. If HE gives it a thumbs up, then I'd probably buy it on blind faith. But for now I'm still waiting.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

You picked the right time to look....

The market is full of these synths right now. Check out a Roland JP-8000 (don't know if it is still in production), Kork MS-2000, anything from Waldorf, and of course the Nord Lead.

Just be careful with the Nord.... Because it doesn't have integrated effects, it can be misleading in terms of sound quality (ie, it may sound a lot better with some external processing). If you really want a fair comparison, shut off the effects on the other synths you are comparing it to, and then make a decision on the raw waves.

If you have a hot computer, you might also consider going the virtual route. I run Cubase VST with various synth plug-ins, and you can get some great tones out of Native Instrument's Pro-52. You can't beat the cost either (provided you already have the computer and the host software).

All the best,

Wiggum

Archived