Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What synths do you want to see modeled?

dansouth

What synths would like to see modeled by the brilliant minds at Native Instruments and other companies?

Here's my short list:

- Roland Jupiter 8

- Oberheim SEM

- Oberheim OB8

- Andromeda (since I can't buy the hardware verison)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than more analog synth emulations, I'd like to see:

1. Clavinet. Yes there are some reasonably good samples out there, but I don't think even GigaSampler provides enough memory for all of the variations possible with the letter buttons and mute.

2. Rhodes. Emagic's might be good, but it's proprietary and I don't use Logic. NI does this right.

3. Acoustic instruments, e.g. sax, flute, trumpet, ac. guitar, upright bass, etc. Yamaha began this almost ten years ago with the VL1, but there has been little real innovation in this area since. Imagine being able to be able to choose from a variety of different tenor sax manufactures/models, reed thicknesses, mic placements, etc. You can do some of this on the VL1, but the interface is obscure. This could be done better.

4. Electric instruments, e.g. el. guitar, bass. Imagine an electric guitar model that provides Stat, Tele, Les Paul, etc., all pickup settings, amp/speaker modeling plus the ability to do guitar specific things like hammer-ons, legato, slides, accurate sounding pitch bends, the ability to hold one note and bend another up to it, real vibrato, etc. This is entirely possible with physical modeling.

Busch

Originally posted by burningbusch@home.com:

Emagic's might be good, but it's proprietary and I don't use Logic. NI does this right.

Busch

Emagic's is better than good, it's amazing, and, fortunately for me, I do use Logic.

Native Instruments is a fantastic company. I'd rather see synths that never previously existed- Reaktor is great for that, but dedicated synths are necessary too. So, a Frankenstein of classics maybe or an imaginary classic that might have been, a la TC Works Mercury, or a whole new beast.

I'd like to see NI exploring different kinds of synthesis- FM is back in a big way, and they've got the FM7 now, hopefully they get nutty on us.

Phase Distortion synthesis is cool- how about a virtual ÜberCasio?

PCs are getting so powerful, it's time for some balls-to-the-wall real-time physical modelling action. A bowed marimba, with the beams morphing between wood and metal at different rates...imagine the pad.

-CB

PS- Arsenius, have you heard the Depeche Mode "Exiter" album? NI Reaktor and Waldorf PPG softsynth were used on that album, as well as TC Works Mercury.

Originally posted by mwisniewski:

Emagic's EVP 88 is pretty good for the E pianos, thats what they should shoot at beating. It would be quite marvelous if they did.

In addition to the EVP 88, they've announced the EVP73, based on a different Rhodes model.

Emagic ported the popular EXS24 sampler to Pro Tools and VST version. Maybe they'll do the same with the pianos.

Agree that NI is an excellent company. The Pro-52 blew me away. I think there's a Reaktor in my future (and definitely an FM7).

I heard the Native Instruments Hammond at Macworld and it sounded tremendous.......they appear to be doing to "sample" based instruments what the Laserwriter did to the Imagewriter ten years ago and there are more innovations ahead I am sure.

Andy

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 07-23-2001 at 10:41 AM

Archived