Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-700

davinwv

Has anyone played the RD-700? I live in a rural area with horrible music stores and haven't had a chance to check it out as of yet. I like it because it accepts the SRX Concert Piano Expansion Board compatible with the XV series synth family; however these are my questions for anyone who has played it:

1. I have heard that the Rhodes patches are great, but how are the Wurlys? I use Wurlitzer sounds a bit and currently use an XP-50 with the '60s/'70s SR/JV Board.

2. Will the piano sounds on the SRX Concert Piano card sound the same in the RD-700 as if the card were being used with the XV-88? (i.e., are the sound and effects architectures of the two pieces the same, or will the board sound substandard on the less expansive RD-700 as Roland's way of getting you to buy the XV-88?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellant questions that I have had in mind also. I will tryt to test these questions this week and post back to you. I too wonder if the Piano Exp. Board sounds different in the XV-88 versus the RD 700.

I also wonder if "Touch Rhodes" (Jeff Lorber's favorite) on the 60's & 70's Exp. Board sounds better than the best Rhodes patches in the RD700: (Rhodes 1, Suitcase Rhodes and Stage Rhodes)

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently not. I'll give you one suggestion though...

I think there's already reviews up at Harmony central. In the past people have contacted me asking questions (I usually leave my email there), and if they were polite and objective enough with the questions (90% of the time), I would reply.

You can try sending email to these people with the questions. The best thing is still to try it out yourself, though.

My $.02

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived