Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ......Nice .....but ?

Dan O

The Motif has arrived at most stores by now . I had a chance to play it and I must say that in my opinion it sounds better than Korg Triton and Karma . A little easier to use as well . The Motif is also priced very reasonable vs. Korg . The Motif did away with the Floppy disk . They now use Smart Media Cards . Is this good ? Is the Floppy on the way out ? Dan O
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised that the Motif's presets were so poorly done. After playing around on it for about half an hour I went over and played the Yamaha S80. The S80 sounded so much fuller, colorful, and the presets are just SO musical to me. I know the Motif has a lot of expansion capabilities, ROM, etc., but the sounds didn't impress me.

I've been playing keys for about 16 years now. If an instrument doesn't really grab my attention on first impression then I move on. I will pass on the Motif.

Agreed. It's so frustrating that every "next big thing" workstation that comes out has some glaring Achilles' heel. (Yamaha EX-5 with it's SCSI speed, Kurz K2600's ancient ROM, etc.) It's as though they're afraid to make it too good because we might not buy the next one.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by jla@hib.no:

i think the worst thing with the motif is the ancient RAM.

I think it only ships with 2M of RAM. You have to add SIMMS to expand it. Are they using an older (slower) SIMM design?

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I think it only ships with 2M of RAM. You have to add SIMMS to expand it. Are they using an older (slower) SIMM design?

Their add says:

Large Sampling Capacity, Wide Compatibility

MOTIF comes standard with 4MB of sampling memory and can be increased up to 64MB using affordable PC SIMMs for a maximum total sampling time of 6 minutes and 20 seconds (stereo, 44.1kHz)

Hell... this could have been nice 5 years ago... not now !

I guess SIMMS design is "retro"... but don't worry... you just would need to buy 64 megs of them.

I would not be my choice. Seriously...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

i read yamaha's answer to why they chose SIMMS on motifator.com.

something like... "We chose simms because there are still many servers etc around that still uses SIMMS so we thought that SIMMS will be available for at least a few more years".. (that's how i remember the answer http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )

seems like they are either trying to cover up a blunder or a very ignorant design choice.

slowness.. and price.. 64mb SIMM ram costs about norwegian kroner 1300 and for example 64 mb SDRAM costs 300 norwegian kroner... HUGE price difference.

Archived