Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "A Long Way From Home"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are attempting to compile a CD's worth of material submitted by members of this forum.

In order to do this, we have posted the entries for consideration and evaluation by all of the members of the forum, whether or not they have contributed a piece.

The entries can be found at this web site:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/261/the_keyboard_corner.html

Please go there, and evaluate the piece called "A Long Way From Home", submitted by Pim Schilperoort. Please post your comments on that tune in this thread. This link will take you directly to this piece.

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great concept. Great recording. Great female vocals. Great, Great, Great!!! I gotta try the vocoder on my MS2000. Did I say it was great?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Hi all,

I wrote and recorded this song many years ago, '95 I believe. The main stars are: me on vocoder, Tanja on backing vocals, Amiga 1200 as computervoice (Good catch, SlopHappy!).

The solo Steve LeBlanc is referring to is indeed very organic: I played it on a Steiner EVI! It took a few hours of playing, starting all over, and a lot of punch ins and outs, to get the tune on tape.

Thank you all for listening to my recording, thank you Dave for giving me the opportunity to expose my music to an audience outside of Amsterdam.

Happy listening!

Pim.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

This piece is outstanding!!!

I would buy a CD just for this song.

Extremely good.

------------------

--Smedis,--

Excellent, incredible tune! Very unique with such a strong 'feel' (I guess that's personal anyways). I had to sit down while I listened to it a few times. That doesn't happen very often http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

The vocoder voice, the computer voice and the female voice all give a sharp contrast to each other. Her voice is beautiful and it works so well in the tune. The pad during the song is great... if I looked up the definition of 'analog warmth' in a dictionary this is what I would like to see.

The funny thing is, the tune I was working on for the compilation had the exact same title. I'm still working on it, but I can't quite 'get there'... good thing I changed my direction.

Thanks for sharing the tune with us. I'm still in awe. I haven't dug a tune this much in a long time (OK, I'll shut up now)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I am a loong way from making this kind of music!! , it's Great!. Sounds a lot like Euritmics , if anyone remembers them... that water-sound is soo cool. A BIG thumbs up.

Major Tom is a long way from home...

/d-kay

Better late than never. I finally got a chance to download and listen to the cd compilation tunes this weekend. It was pretty awe inspiring. I am still on a high about the great talent we have rubbing shoulders here.

Pim, this is track is so standout. I stopped analyzing half through and just enjoyed it. The plot, the sounds, the melody, they come together beautifully. If I looked up "synth-song" in the dictionary, I'd find yours as the example.

Thanks,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Originally posted by d-kay:

oh, I forgot. You absolutely SHOULD send this song to a record-company!, They'll sign you up in no-time.

/d-kay

As a matter of fact, no major record company in my country wanted to sign me after I sent (in '95) them a DAT with the song. "Good song, but too electronic" they all said... Some said the computer voice was morbid.

I refused to change the song in an acoustic version, because I think this sound is the best sound for this song.

My experience is that when you change the mood of a song in favor to get a record deal, it doesn't feel good on the long term.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Archived