Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

newbie seeking mentor/tutor for roland xp-30

psguy3

Just starting out, recently bought a Roland XP-30 & Cubase VST/32 and seeking to hire a tutor/mentor to get me started and/or lessons via conference call and/or in-person tutoring in LA/Palm Springs area. Am very into electronic/dance music; my objective is to begin composing some of my own music. Suggestions or referrals much appreciated! Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, please don't take this the wrong way...just my opinion.

You don't need a teacher/mentor.

The kind of music you want to compose is not very difficult...spend some time copying your favorite CDs...just try to make the same grooves and sounds you're hearing...once you get that (even half way) composing Electronic/Dance music will be a cinch.

Again, this is just my opinion many here may disagree.

appreciate the input. I do plan to poke around on the composing myself but am very non-technical and just purchased the equipment and am looking for someone to walk me through the basic functionality vs trying to make sense of the users manual for the xp-30. I find that it's a lot more useful to be able to ask specific questions of someone more knowledgeable.

PSguy:

I use an xp50 in my home studio and I play an xp30 live. Been playing my xp50 for the last 5 years. The first year was a pretty steep learning curve.

I'm kind of with Steve on this point here. You might save yourself some dough and get some things that are really useful. Here are the sources of information that I would recommend exploring, before you get a tutor.

- Buy the video manual (a well spent $50 if bought new from Roland)

- Get a book on synthesis and study it (or read some of the tutorials on the web like this one )

- Follow the keyboard magazine tutorial they are currently conducting on synthesizer programming basics (it is called SoundForum )

there

At some point in the process you may benefit from some direct instruction, but I suspect you will need less of it than you think.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

PS: The video manual is worth every penny. You can see what's being done and follow along. You can just watch the parts that apply to you. Also this "instructor" doesn't mind if you stop him in mid-sentence, or make him repeat something till you get it. Also he (Scott Wilkie is usually the tutor on film) is an awesome musician.

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Archived