Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Analog Synth

MusicaL

I am in the market for an analog synth. I was going initially for a Roland Jx-3p, since I used to own one with a PG-200 programmer But now I am inclined to go with something different after doing a little research. I am now vascillating between a Juno 106, and a Chroma Polaris. I have a budget of about $300-$400 and don't know about soft synths, but my gut says get knobs you can actually tweak.

Any recommendations? I know some of you own or have played one or both of these synths, or have other recommendations. What I am looking for is generally analog sounds -- pads, leads, maybe bass patches. I play mostly a blues oriented Jazz/rock.

Any thoughts?

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between Juno-106 and Chroma Polaris I would definitely go for Chroma.

I think that you'll have difficulties finding one though, but if you do, and the 400$ is enough, you should go for it.

If you want some information about most of the keyboards made you can look at.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/

------------------

--Smedis,--

While I haven't played a Polaris in a long time, I remember that I really didn't care for it very much - it was nothing like it's big brother, the actual Chroma. On the other hand, I owned a Juno-106 for a while, and was quite satified with it. So, of course, I'd tend to lean towards the Juno.

Have you played 'em both? Doesn't one of them grab you more than the other?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

db

I haven't played either actually. I am just trying to narrow the field before I try to find one to play and try out!! If you know where I can find these keys in the SoCal area to try out I would be grateful.

Thanks

Albert

If you know where I can find these keys in the SoCal area to try out I would be grateful.

No place comes to mind immediately.

In all fairness to the Polaris, if I remember correctly, it is a more powerful synth than the Juno. It has 2 VCOs per voice where the Juno has one DCO per voice. Also, I believe that the Polaris' keybed transmits velocity info, and the 106 doesn't, IIRC...plus, I'm pretty sure that you can split the Polaris - the Juno doesn't do that.

From there it's a matter of taste. My memory of playing the Polaris is many years old...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

For the money you're looking to spend, have you considered something like a Prophet 600? If you don't mind the keyboard not being touch sensitive, you'll probably like it better than the Polaris or Juno. I owned one for years and loved it. It has a much warmer and more aggresive sound than the Polaris, and is more flexible than the Juno. There's a knob for each function, so it's a piece of cake to program. They turn up on ebay occasionally for $300-$400. The factory models had limited MIDI implementation, but there are plenty of aftermarket kits that improve on this. Some of the ones for sale have been updated. Be sure to ask!

If you'd rather not juggle this third option, I'd vote for the Juno. I also remember the Polaris sounding kind of weak and thin. Like Dave said, use your ears!

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 06-14-2001 at 07:08 PM

><>

Steve

Thanks SW for the tip on the Prophet 600. I am looking into it. The difficulty in all of this is finding ones anywhere close so that I can play them and compare.

Albert

Archived