Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Album Title

In keeping with Best and Worst Band Names, what do you think are the best

album titles?

I like the ones with double meanings-

Joshua Judges Ruth (three consecutive books of the Bible, also a sentence- classic)

Low (with Bowie's profile- "Low Profile", pretty slick)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you're talking Bowie..."Aladdin Sane"

The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get...Joe Walsh

Twin Sons of Different Mothers...Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg

Weasels Ripped My Flesh...Zappa and M.O.I.

A few of my personal faves...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This will be fun...

"As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays

"Straight. No Chaser" - Thelonious Monk

"Return to Forever" - Chick Corea

"Now He Sings. Now He Sobs." - Chick Corea

"Fragile" - Yes

"Captured" - Journey

But Rush has to take the cake...

"Moving Pictures"

"Power Windows"

"Signals"

"Presto"

"A Farewell to Kings"

"Test for Echo"

"Exit Stage Left"

"A Show of Hands"

Does it get any better than this? Rush has it nailed when it comes to album titles.

All the best,

Wiggum

Hey, this IS fun...

"Countdown To Ecstacy" - Steely D.

"Revolver" - Bealtes

"Road Island" - Ambrosia

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" - Doobie Bros.

"Mellow Gold" - Beck

"Let It Bleed" - Stones

"Mighty Like A Rose" - Elvis Costello

"America Eats Its Young" - P-Funk

"Something/Anything" - Todd

And I've always admired "A Show Of Hands" as a title. Well, this could just go on and on, I see....

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

Originally posted by KHAN:

It's no contest,

"Smell the Glove" by Spinal Tap

Hehe- but I like "Intravenus De Milo" even better, with the picture of Venus De Milo and the intraveinous rig. I got an asthma attack laughing with that movie.

"My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair, But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brow", the first TRex album, has got to win some kind of honorary prize. You have to have balls of steel wrapped in chartreuse velvet to sport a title like that.

"My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair, But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brow", the first TRex album, has got to win some kind of honorary prize. You have to have balls of steel wrapped in chartreuse velvet to sport a title like that.

No doubt.

Also, I think that's the longest album title I've ever seen. I was sure that it was "Welcome Back my Friends to the Show That Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen - Emerson, Lake and Palmer", but the T-Rex one is three words longer.

Can anyone come up with an album title that's longer than 20 words?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

...oh, yeah, while I'm on this thread...

It seems to me that I saw an album by someone which sported the title, "You Bought It, You Name It". I thought that I remembered it being by Joe Walsh, but I can't find it.

Has anyone else seen an album with this title, or am I hallucinating? http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/otn/realhappy/mushsmile.gif

dB

"You Bought It, You Name It" I think is the James Gang, featuring Joe Walsh. He also did "The Smoker I Drink, The Player I Get." Say what you want about Joe, but he's a fun player to listen to, and he can name my album anytime!

I'm also going to give it up for Seal and Peter Gabriel, who both had more than one self-titled album! Thanks for confusing us! "No, not the first 'Peter Gabriel' album, the third one with 'Shock the Monkey!'"

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Okay, how about "Album with the Most Titles, None of Which We're Sure is Right"?

I nominate the fourth Led Zeppelin album, which I've heard referred to to as Led Zeppelin IV, Zofo, Sticks, Harvest, and Runes...

What is up with that? I wonder what they refer to it as...? http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay, how about "Album with the Most Titles, None of Which We're Sure is Right"?

I nominate the fourth Led Zeppelin album, which I've heard referred to to as Led Zeppelin IV, Zofo, Sticks, Harvest, and Runes...

What is up with that? I wonder what they refer to it as...? http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

dB

Isn't that the one the record company gave the thumbs down on artwork on?

(what a sentence, sorry) Then the guys took off with the mastertapes...hehheh!

I think Peter Gabriel "melty face", "security", etc. has got to be on that list.

I think Peter Gabriel "melty face", "security", etc. has got to be on that list.

I believe that they're two separate albums - the melty one is the third gabriel album, and is untitled. Security is the actual title of the fourth Gabriel album.

dB

I like the Residents album titles:

"Not Available"

"The Commercial Album"

Then there's the one they did with Renaldo & the Loaf:

"Title in Limbo".

This is my favourite album title. If you buy that album, on the back cover it's called "Turtle in Lima". Then side one (of the LP, of course) is called "Tidal in Lumbar" and side two "Tattle in Logo".

I also love Zappa titles:

"Make a jazz noise here"

and of course "Hot Rats".

Also "Aoxomoxoa" by the Grateful Dead

and a gentler one (for a great record):

"Take for example this" by Billy Childs

marino

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I believe that they're two separate albums - the melty one is the third gabriel album, and is untitled. Security is the actual title of the fourth Gabriel album.

dB

LOL- like Murph said, the one with "Shock the Monkey!" But wait a sec, I thought Melty Face... Anyway they were all good. Too bad they got "misplaced" along with the rest of my LPs...

LOL- like Murph said, the one with "Shock the Monkey!" But wait a sec, I thought Melty Face... Anyway they were all good. Too bad they got "misplaced" along with the rest of my LPs...

As long as I'm being a detail weenie, I suppose it'd only be fair of me to bust Murph as well, because "Shock the Monkey" is on Security, the fourth album.

http://www.ihs4ever.com/~cwm/otn/funny/bluegrab.gif

The radio tunes on the third album were "I Don't Remember", and the much more popular "Games Without Frontiers", which had that line that no one had any idea what the heck he was singing, because it was the title...but in French (Jeux Sans Frontieres). People thought it was "She's so funky, yeah" and "She's so popular"...one guy I know swore it was "She's avuncular". Go figure...

Okay, I'll stop now.

dB

This one's way to obvious:

"This is a recording" - Flim & the BB's

Any album by the Firesign Theatre had great titles. For example:

"Waiting for the Electrician or someone like him"

"Don't Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers"

"I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus"

Well, this isn't the longest ALBUM title, but perhaps it qualifies as the longest record title. In the 40's there was a big band record called:

"I'm a cranky old yank in a clanky old tank on the streets of Yokahama with my Honolulu momma singing those beat-o beat-o back of my seat-o Hirihoto blues."

I swear I'm not making that up. I don't have THAT good an imagination. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Spinal Tap was an absolutely brilliant movie, I still crack up hearing songs like "Big Bottom," but I think the Shark Sandwich bit is one of the funniest parts of the movie.

As far as album titles are concerned, I always liked Van Der Graaf Generators "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and "H to He Who Am the Only One" (if anyone can figure out what the latter title signifies, be my guest!)

Another favorite of mine is not clever like the other suggestions, but the hilarity of the group and the disappointment that the album was makes ELP's "Love Beach" a particular favorite of mine (on the other hand, "Brain Salad Surgery" is totally bizarre).

Just to correct the Peter Gabriel album confusion, the album known as "Security" was only released as such in the United States, in the rest of the world it was simply titled "Peter Gabriel," like the first three. I think the first one he did with something other than Peter Gabriel in the title is the "Plays Live" album. Even when he did start naming albums, I think his impatience with the process is evident in the titles "So," "Us," and "Up" (his forthcoming album.)

Re: Love Beach-

YEah, it was a disapointing album, but I thought "Canario" (from "Fantasia Para Un Gentilhombre" by Joaquin Rodrigo) was pretty cool.

Now, "Brain Salad Surgery" - that is, er..., well, it's a sexual act.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 04-11-2001 at 06:48 AM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Well, many of the good ones have already been taken, but here's a few more:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Leftoverture - Kansas

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish - Speedwagon (don't dig the band, but I do like the album title)

Oh, yeah - and just about anything by the Police - they have great album titles:

Regatta de Blanc

Zenyatta Mondatta

Ghost in the Machine

Synchronicity

I also always thought that Todd Rundgren's Hermit of Mink Hollow was kinda funny, because he lives on Mink Hollow Road.

One more - Paul McCartney's last album is called Paul Is Live, and features a picture of him by himself walking across that same crosswalk in front of Abbey Road....pretty much the same cars, and Paul is wearing pretty much the same outfit, except now he's wearing shoes.

Hey, there's an idea...what about a best album covers thread? I'm on it...

dB

Glad someone brought up Spinal Tap's "Break Like the Wind"

Monty Python's "Contractual Obligation" album

Tonio K's "Life in the Foodchain"

Joni Mitchell's "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (what kinda grass?)

Plus, I'll admit publicly, it took me three years to finally get Frank Zappa's anti-disco album title, "Sheik Yerbouti". Classic!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived