Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you all think of the Proteus 2000

vudoo

i'm about to buy the Proteus 2000. I just want to hear from people who tried or own it and what do you all think of that module.

I have a virus TDM, will be getting a JV-1010, XV--5080, CS6R...Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by vudoo:

I have a virus TDM, will be getting a JV-1010, XV--5080, CS6R...Thanks

The P2000 has huge bang-for-the-buck. I'm getting one to replace my 10 year old Proteus 1.

Aren't the JV-1010 & XV-5080 redundant? For the difference in price, I'd suggest going to the XV-3080 and a Proteus 2000 for slightly less $$ than the JV-1010 + XV-5080?

i want a sampler so the XV5080 is a definite buy...besides, the price of an 5080 and 3080 ain't that much of a difference. As for the JV-1010 i bought it because of the Session board, i got it used for $ 250, wich is basically only $ 75 more than a Session board by itself.

My main concern is..is by buying an XV5080 AND a Proteus 2000, i'm javing too much of the same thing ??? I also thought of the Audity 2000...i would really like to get some opinions from Pk2000 users out there since i won't be able to test drive the Pk2000 before buying..Thanks

The XV 5080 can do EVERYTHING except sampling. of course you can edit anything you want on it. it's a sampler playback with ALL editing features ...personnally, i've never really used a sampler to sample/record, my protools can do that soooo much better so playingback/editing is the only thing i will ever need from a sampler.

For the most part, I'm happy with my Proteus 2000. The sounds are good and I like the expandability. I also like the fact that I can create my own Proteus 2000 banks using my E4XT Ultra.

My only problem with my Proteus 2000 is that a number of the factory presets overdrive the internal effects processor creating unintended and unwanted distortion. I dont know why they released these boxes before correcting this problem. I bought the Proteus 2000 in part because I wanted to pull up high quality sounds more quickly than it takes to load in samples to my E4, but it REALLY slows down the process when youve got to tweak the presets so they work correctly!

I hope the newer Proteus 2000s are better in this regard.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I don't think that getting a proteus 2000 and an XV5080 is redundant. They are both built as all-around synths, but the mere fact that they are by very different companies, means that you will have patches that may be similar but will have an evasively unique property to them that you wouldn't get by just getting more patches for the XV5080. Plus it allows you to have more effects processing going on at the same time during multi-timbral operations. Also, since they are both expandable, they can both grow in very different ways since they use samples from very different companies. I think having an Emu and a Roland is amongst the best pair. If you were to do Korg and Yamaha, it would be a mismatch, they're too similar, but Emu and Roland have distinct difference so you'll be "golden".

If, however, you feel like you are getting too many "meat and potatoes" sounds, any of the Proteus 2000 family can be upgraded with each other's ROM sound blocks. You can add the whole sample-set of the XL-1 or B3 or Mo Phatt modules to the P2000 or any of the others, even the Virtuoso. I'm not certain whether the Audity 2000 fits in this same category, though. And the flash-rom option that soapbox is talking about is just killer, even if you only have to go to a friend's E4 to get it burned.

It sounds like you're on a good track purchase-wise, and you did get a steal on that JV1010. I hope you have a place that will get you a good deal on these other pieces..

I don't think the JV-1010 is programmable from the front panel. May be an issue for some.

The XV-5080 can load WAV files (and possibly AIFF, but I'm not certain), so you can record sounds into your computer based DAW and turn them into samples that the XV can read. Roland uses this justification for the lack of sampling on the XV, and I think it's pretty good approach. Most people record samples to DAT or HD first, then load them into a sampler. Computer editing is superior to anything on a stand-alone unit, anyway.

I've heard that the XV-5080 rocks. Anyone got any experience with it?

I love the sounds of the Proteus 2000, definitely top notch. To tell you the truth, get the P2K and the MoPhatt and XLead modules, blows away almost anything out there in terms of uniqueness and versatility.

I also like the 5080, which can sequence exernally loaded samples (like others have said), especially since Roland has a good module library to use.

The P2K is $800 everywhere, extra modules run about $300 each.

The 5080 is about $1500, extra modules running about $225 each.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Both the 5080 and the P2K have awesome sounds, but they are very different from each other, and variety is the spice of life!

To answer a couple of questions that were posted:

The P2K does have an Audity chip that can be installed.

The JV1010 can be edited from the front panel, and the instructions to do so are on the top. It's not easy, but it's possible. Of course if you put it in a rack, you can't read the top!!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Bang for buck the Proteus is awesome but if you're looking at that and the XV-5080 and a Yamaha this clearly isn't an issue.

I tried the Proteus 2000 and XV-3050 (5080 wasn't on the floor to demo). Both sound great but I personally preferred the sounds of the Roland but not by much. But then again I didn't like the Mo' Phatt which some people swoon over; I'm not into hip-pop and techno.

I have read that many folks find editing sounds & using the filters on the Proteus is intuitive but the fx routing is quite the opposite.

You can order the Proteus2000 without any ROM boards installed and choose your own Emu boards to tailor the module to your liking. This would minimize the degree of redundancy with the XV-5080. Check the Emu-Ensonique website and links to Proteus2000 supports sites. They list all the names for the patches for each module albeit I don't find that very helpful. Some sounds are demo'd on MP3 or RP.

Archived