Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how often you write songs?

K.C.

I try to write a song everyday .. like spending one hour a day to purposely write a song.. I think that's a good practice to improve writing skill. How much time you spend to write a song... I heard that "yesterday" is written within 5 minutes ... is that true? ...so damn fast!!

live with music, die with music

www.mp3.com/K_C_Lau

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all different. Sometimes the tunes just pour out of you as though you'd eaten a bad burrito (sorry, but you know what I mean)...and sometimes you've gotta stretch.

I read somewhere that the writers for Motown used to have teams. Each team would have to write like 20 songs a week or something. Three teams of songwriters, like sixty songs a week. From those, they'd narrow 'em down to like 10 with possibilities, and then maybe five of them would actually get recorded. Then, only one would ever really get much airplay. But that was the approach...write a lot, and hopefully moments of genius will rise to the surface out of the rest of the slog.

I'm not suggesting that that would be the right approach for everyone. Motown had a "hit factory" to maintain.

But, whatever works for you is best! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I try to write and finish a song every two weeks. I come up with inspired ideas all the time, but I find that it really takes a lot of effort and energy to really develop the ideas. A lot of my ideas are original and some are theft. I will turn on the radio and cop a rhythm or a groove. It prevents my songs from having the same rhythms that I have internally, most of which are 105 beats/per/minute. 115 if I've consumed a lot of caffeine. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Archived