Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which synths layer the best?

Dave Bryce

Roland JD-990 + Access Virus b --> Roland SDX-330

just stunning stringpads...the JD-990 provides the texture and grit, the Virus provides the sheen and gloss, and the SDX-330 lifts and separates!

Waldorf Q Rack + Waldorf Microwave XTk

that sound on steroids...the XTk provides the digital rawness and the Q smoothes it out and adds fullness...or, the XTk provides the shifting sand and the Q adds air and body for complex, evolving textural pads.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty retro-digital, but I have a short piece recorded where I layer a Supernova (a nice, very warm fuzz-guitar-style sound) with a Nord Modular (operatic soprano formant solo voice) and the results are quite haunting.

rt

Great topic Dave.

In the old days, I used to layer my DX7 with a Korg Polysix. Then I ran them both through the same effects processor. It was delicious at the time.

Lately, I've been using a bit of everything. :)

Motif ES -> FS1R

K2600 and MKS70

I finally dusted off the old Morpheus to add to the mix.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm curious - what kinds of sounds do you layer? Bass lines? Pads? Strings? EP's? Acoustic instruments? What works and what sucks? How do you keep layered sounds from clogging up a mix?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Seems like it's all about the same principles as you'd think about while mixing a full track: layer instruments in different frequency and spatial locations so they're distinguishable, but mix well together. Achieve balance.

If the layering is more of a doubling/chorusing of a particular range of sound, I'm more likely to work with that within one synth by dealing with the sophisticated layering capabilities present on a sample-based workstation or sound module.

If it's a question of mixing different voices for different lines, say, contrapuntally, I'm more inclined to use different synths, to bring out the distinctiveness of each voice.

The biggest challenge is probably harmonizing different synths layered together over time, so you don't get excessive transient-smearing and lose the identity of the timbres in the attack stages, for me at least. Though playing with delays on the attack can do interesting things there, too.

rt

Layering when working in surround is a blast. I played around with a piano part from the upcoming "Happy The Man" not too long ago. I recorded a Yamaha Disclavier for the front stereo pair and used the EVP88 for the rear. BIG TIME FUN!!!

on rare ocasion i layer, as in midi-ing two or three sounds together playing exact same line. i did this in the eighties with DX7+Poly800, later with DX7+JX10. who could've resisted putting a marimba on the jx strings.. :D

but nowadays i tend to think of synths as sections in orchestra. sometimes i might midi them together only while looking for an interesting colour combination, later when recording (midi or audio), i always perform each 'layer' separately, in order to implement some subtle timing and/or voicing variations, and some cc performance as well, just to keep it alive..

a nice one i did the other day was female choir on E4XTU with dbl whisper (voice) on FS1R and 8vb line on MKS70 cello orchestra. Talk about thick!!

in general, my favorite approach is nothing original; take a sampled (real) sound and double it by either its analog recreation or its FM recreation - this one is more suprising lately, espec. on FS1R - it can sound xtra smooth/spacey , nothing like old DX stuff.

dont like layering bass, pianos and ep's.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

No, Im not a keyboard player per say, but I can tell you from hours of editing that for strings, pads and some rhodes patches, the Nanosynth layers really well with most modules, especially Roland sampler patches.

With those 2, it seems like the nano comes off as creamier, and the Roland(samplers) have more crisp defined bite. Although when soloing either, you obviously hear that the Nano is thinner and brighter, and the Roland thicker. So go figure..

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

I a bell-like tone or other percussive FM attack gives way to a swelling analog pad .

I love this technique. Layering patches with varying attacks and envelopes. This can create a lot of movement within the sound. Very etherial(sp?).

The FS1R will layer nicely with just about anything - good bell tones and swirling, breathy pad possibilities.

Great thread. Smart bump!

In the 80's I layered a DX7 with either a Juno106 or my Ensoniq SQ80. That was a bit wierd sounding sometimes, but that can be cool too. Now I layer my K2000 with either my M3R or Wavestation SR, my QS7.1 with my SQ80 (yes I still have it and use it), and a Korg 01Wpro with my QSR on occasion. If I am multitracking I try to stay as clean as possible, but sometimes I go as fat as my gear allows. And with some of these put together I can rattle the windows in my little house (especially the 01W/K2000/WavestationSR/QS7.1 all at once). My wife hates it, but it is good for the soul every once in a while to do something totally absurd.

I have a few secret weapons:

1. Triton strings with Roland XP/XV strings-thick and lush

2. Novation A-Station pads with Triton.

3. Spectrasonics Atmosphere and the Motif.

4. Roland D-50 underneath anything...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived