Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Controllers

Starbelly

Ok, I'm looking for insight from any of you out there who have a similar set-up to my own.

I'm currently transitioning between a live and studio set up and am looking for a great keyboard controller to do nothing but sit on a desk and crank out the notes.

It does not have to have internal sounds, but it does need to drive a rack of other midi equipment (plus virtual instruments) and act as my main keyboard for recording.

The feel of a real piano and 88 keys are a must, since I already have an old M1 for my synth "feel."

For now I'll leave it at that. Please feel free to fill me full of all of your experiences.

Thanks in advance. =)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Starbelly:

The feel of a real piano and 88 keys are a must, since I already have an old M1 for my synth "feel

If the sounds are not important, and it's all about feel, then what you need to do is to go and play on as many of 'em as you can...trust your hands - they'll tell you pretty much everything that you need to know.

As far as the operational specs of these products go, the average computer sequencer will allow almost all of them to do just about anything that any of the rest of them can do - you didn't say if there was a computer sequencer involved, but I am assuming that there is.

Hope that helps,

dB

[This message has been edited by Dave Bryce (edited 12-01-2000).]

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Roland A80 has the best feel for me, even compared to any of the new ones from any manufacturer. If you can find one used in good shape it's a steal. Only thing is, the operating system looks like it was designed by someone high. The aftertouch also takes a lot of pressure before it can be trigerred, although I understand it can be modified by a simple resistor(?) switcheroo. Anyone know of this?

Raul

Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Roland A80 has the best feel for me, even compared to any of the new ones from any manufacturer. If you can find one used in good shape it's a steal. Only thing is, the operating system looks like it was designed by someone high. The aftertouch also takes a lot of pressure before it can be trigerred, although I understand it can be modified by a simple resistor(?) switcheroo. Anyone know of this?

Raul

Correct on all counts! I own an A-80, and I have not found anything that comes close to it in piano "feel." The operating system is ludicrous, but I have a 4 page "translation" that was sent to me by Roland USA a few years back that explained everything. The aftertouch requires hands of steel to use, but it is one of the few out there with POLYPHONIC aftertouch. Roland has an approved mod that involves changing one resistor on the main board to improve this. Email me at Marzzz@aol.com and I can send you the details.

-Marshall

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the A80 yet. Currently I've been hemming and hauling between the StudioLogic 880, Kurzweil PC88 and an Alesis QS 8.1.

I am running everything through Cubase/32, at the moment, for recording midi and audio. Really, what I'm looking for is a good controller that will be able to send out enough info to all of my midi racks. (pitch, bend, yadda, yadda)

I appreciate the help, thanks again!

Originally posted by Starbelly:

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the A80 yet. Currently I've been hemming and hauling between the StudioLogic 880, Kurzweil PC88 and an Alesis QS 8.1.

Unfortunately, the A80 was discontinued...about 10 years ago. Their current model is the A90, and has a whole different feel. Roland makes their own keybed (model PA4) for that unit - it's a bit too bouncy for my taste.

FYI, FATAR makes the keybeds for Kurzweil and Alesis. I believe action in the StudioLogic 880 is more similar to the one in the QS8.1 than the one in the PC88 (you did mean the old PC88, not the newer PC2, right?)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I also prefer the A80 action over the new A90, and over just about everything else except a well-regulated acoustic piano. I thought I was the only one...

The only reason I have a Fatar 2001 in my studio is, I used to carry it to gigs, and the A80 is just too heavy! But if you don't need to move it, it's a beauty.

The Fatars are very playable, anyway. You'll find Fatar actions on the majority of keyboard instruments, with the notable exception of Yamaha.

Speaking of witch, the actions on the S80 and P80 (similar, but not identical) are among the best on the market today. The P80, however, makes an horrible controller (no wheels!), but if you'd like to also have a lot of good sounds with your keyboard (and, of course, you're willing to spend a few more money), check out the S80.

marino

Originally posted by marino:

I also prefer the A80 action....the only reason I have a Fatar 2001 is, the A80 is just too heavy!

I must be getting old.....I used to TRY to gig with a Hammond M3, a Rhodes 73 Stage, and a MiniMoog, plus amps. You wanna talk heavy? (And we used to do gigs for a nickel! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

Yeah.

A partial list of the keyboards that I used to carry to gigs (by myself) includes:

Rhodes 76 and 88 suitcase

Rhodes Chroma (45 kg. in its case)

Roland RD-300S digital piano

Hammond L100

Oberheim OBX-a and Matrix-12 (with cases)

Plus, of course, lots of "modern" synths.

The result? I've multiple slipped disks, plus other assorted back disfunctions. I've tried every kind of physiotherapy and I went under surgery once, but these bastards won't stay in place. It's a pain in the ass, I can assure you. I can't lift anything heavier than 13/14 kg.

I know you wrote your post with "light" intentions (pun intended), but I thought I just would share my experience, as a little warning to my fellow keyboardists. I don't want to scare anybody, just remember to use common sense and external help when carrying the heaviest equipment!

Uhm, off topic again...

marino

• 2 weeks later...

Archived