Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's using plug-ins?

Dave Bryce

So, I keep getting drawn deeper and deeper into the plug-in thing...I think they are so cool - it's one of the main things that attracted me to a computer-based hard disk system in the first place. I remember getting a demo of the Amp Farm plug-in for Pro Tools when it first came out, and being totally blown away.

My current faves are the Sonic Modulator chorus/flanger plug-in of doom that comes with Digital Performer and the Native Instruments B4 virtual Hammond. I also really like this new Moogerfooger-looking Lowpass filter that came with DP 2.7...mind you, I have the real Moogerfooger LP pedal, and would rather use it, but the plug-in is veeeeeeeeery cool, and very useful - I can't do anywhere near the cool LFO sync tricks with the real pedal as I can the plug-in...it's a different tool, not necessarily a better one.

So, who else is into the plug-in thing? What have you been using? Which ones do you like? Dislike? Talk to me!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started using the TC Native Reverb on VST. The first word that comes to my mind is:

Wow!

There are three things that I especially like on it:

1) the sound

2) the sound

3) the sound

....sounds fantastic.

I've been using loads of plugs for a long time. I'm REAL happy with the Waves Ren EQ and Compressor. Their de-esser isn't bad either. For mastering, I've combined TC's MasterX with the Waves Ren stuff and been sold. Also I have to mention Digi's Bruno/Reso. They don't seem too popular, but they produce interesting results when tweaked properly (or improperly). At this point, I'm afraid to download demos because I may get hooked!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision http://www.f7sound.com

I do all my mixing and recording in Pro Tools these days, so I use loads of plug-ins all the time.

Delays and modulation is usually Waves, compression mostly Bombfactory and McDsp, EQ mostly McDSP filterbank, reverbs Lexiverb and Realverb. Multieffects is Pitchblender and for tuning Auto tune or Pitchdoctor.

Special stuff: moogerfooger, lo-fi, GRM various, Sans amp and ampfarm.

Drum replacing: Soundreplacer (it rocks)

I use the Virus plug in a lot too.

It is quite amazing to have all these cool plugs right at your fingertips all the time, and that everything can be automated too http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I guess I am a plug-in nut ...anything new that sounds promising, I buy right away from the net.

I am looking forward to the new releases from Bombfactory.

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww...c'mon, you guys! Are there really that few of you using plug-ins?

I'm looking for recommendations of new and wond'rous things to add to my MAS arsenal. I'm already sold on the TC Native stuff - my copy of Spark 1.5 came with a demo of their stuff, and I have to agree with Dr. Marino - the reverb is outstanding! I am particularly curious right now to know if anyone has tried the Antares Mic Modeller.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dr. What?!? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm also a latecomer to the Auto -Tune plugin, and it is very useful in many ways. Since I use it for pitch adjusting (rather than for robotic effects), it requires quite a bit of work to make it sound natural, but it can be done.

I'm definitely going to try the Mic Modeler, I think I'll download the demo and try it on a mix next month. I'm interested to hear opinions about it, too!

marino

Originally posted by marino:

I'm also a latecomer to the Auto -Tune plugin, and it is very useful in many ways. for pitch adjusting (rather than for robotic effects), it requires quite a bit of work to make it sound natural, but it can be done.

I think that Auto-Tune is a landmark product. It certainly has changed the way recordings are made. I remember hearing the demo at NAMM a few years ago and thinking "okay, this is the end -- we now have eliminated the need for great singers".

But as with most miracle devices, it has its limitations. It is very difficult to get the thing to work well with vibrato, and I have found that on rock singers with particularly wide vibrato, Auto-Tune tends to quantize single notes into trills. Yikes. Back to the punch-in method. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

But I have to say that used tastefully and sparingly and NOT as a crutch, this is a brilliant tool.

I also love the MasterWorks Compressor and Limiter in MAS -- those are absolutely brilliant. Better than the Waves Renaissance Compressor if you ask me. I have heard great things about Channel Strip for MAS, although I haven't heard it myself yet. That one's high on the list.

For synths, I don't like Retro AS-1 (cold and edgy), but I do like Unity DS-1. Even though they apparently have the same filters, DS-1 comes off much cleaner and audiophile. Great resonant filters. I hate the fact that the samples and programs are embedded into DS-1 banks, though. The old Digidesign Sample Cell scheme is better, IMHO.

Native Instruments B4 rules. What more can I say than that. I'm interested to try Reaktor. Any thoughts on that one?

Cheers,

Erik

I've got Dynamo. It's quite a bit of fun, and is able to create sounds unlike anything I've ever heard (I'm sure Reaktor is even better). The update that's coming out (I'm beta testing it, and since I didn't have to sign an NDA, I'm assuming I'm not breaking any rules here) offers FreeMIDI and MAS support. It integrates with Digital Performer pretty nicely. And the new version fixes a _lot_ of bugs that were in the previos version. It also runs a lot faster and smoother. It's just so easy to come up with cool stuff. The latency varies depending on the module that you're using (it includes 25 modules (additive synths, drum machines, weird sequencers, sample manglers, etc).

I'm also using Pro-52. I was under the impression that all Native Instruments' products do or will support MAS (that's what it says on their website). Unfortunately, that's not the case. They told me that since it's really a Steinberg product, it probably would never offer MAS support. So I'm stuck using it as a VST instrument under Audioease's VST Wrapper. VST instruments are incredibly clumsy to use in comparison to MAS instruments (like the BitHeadz stuff). Pro52 sounds great, but the controls are a little small, and the preset list under VST Wrapper is a huge, unorganized pull-down menu.

I really liked BitHeadz Retro (I tried the demo -- I don't own it). I thought it sounded great, and its MAS integration is awesome (nicely organized patch lists). I'm thinking I would've gotten more use out of it than Pro52.

I'm also using Koblo's free Vibra1000 monophonic synth. It's really limited, but it sounds great, and they have MAS drivers available that are Beta, but they haven't given me any trouble. It's too bad that Koblo now only offers their other soft synths bundled together for $500 or something like that. if they still were available separately, I might've gotten one of them.

I'm really looking forward to Propellerheads' Reason. It should be out any week now. There was also a screenshot of a new Koblo plugn called Tonemill in the new Keyboard. It sounds like it will besimilar to Reason, but the Koblo site has no more information. Does anyone know anything about this thing?

Jonathan Hughes

I certainly use plug-ins all the time. At my day gig, producing sound and music primarily for software, I do virtually all of my work in Pro Tools, including mixing and mastering. I regularly use much of the Waves collection, especially the L1, which excels at squeezing out maximum level without completely destroying sound quality. This is a major concern in sound production for computer playback.

In my freelance work, doing sound and music for video, as well as writing and producing songs, I tend to use more outboard processing, although I still depend very much on Waves in the context of Digital Performer. The Renaissance Compressor is a staple, but I must admit I am not fan of Waves' reverb. For reverb, I invariably go outboard.

As far as others, I do use Digidesign's and MOTU's provided plug ins as well. Inexpensive Pluggos are a whole lot of fun, but I haven't found them very useful. After reading the other reviews, I see it may be time to invest in more.

>Inexpensive Pluggos are a whole lot of fun, >but I haven't found them very useful.

Here's why you buy Pluggo -

Reason #1: $79!

Reason #2: the VST wrapper, so you can use most of the VST library.

Some of the VSTs will lock up on you, so if this happens, just remove the offender from the VST folder, and no more problem.

But there are also some cool Pluggos - a few pitch-shift, multi-echo, granular, etc. effects you can't get elsewhere. Oh yeah-if you don't like what they've produced, by the rest of the package and create your own!

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

I'll chime in and give props to a few outstanding RTAS plug-ins. I've been running a Digi 001 rig at home, and have had *very* good results with the Bomb Factory suite, Kind Of Loud RealVerb, GRM Tools, and the new Waves Gold bundle. A lot of people think RTAS and 001 are for beginners, but I'm here to say it ain't necessarily so. Here at Keyboard, we have a 888/24 system and Pro Tools 5. I've done a lot of remixing on that rig, and I fully expected to be disappointed when I first installed a 001 rig at home. Sure the 24-track audio limit can be a pain, but overall it's been a rockin' system.

Greg Rule

I am using DP and my favorite plug ins are MetricHalo's ChannelStrip (especially if I need compression and EQ) it includes a ton of really good presets or the Waves Ren Comp and EQ for either or. Another must have is AutoTune it speaks for itself. The Waves C4 is at the top of my list too. KindOfLoud's RealVerb is my verb of choice. I also use a few of the plug ins that ships with DP such as PreAmp 1, Echo, Delay and chorus. I am not too crazy about any of the tc Native essentials plug ins or Mic Mod although the saturation control is useful. I also have Hyperprizm VST with the AudioEase VST Wrapper. Very useful too.

OneMan

Greg Rule,

Ditto what you've said. We bought Digi001

just to record our primary vocals with a high-end/no compromise front end going into it. Initially everybody was looking at PT/LE as a toy but it's turned out to be really effective for us, & alot of other people. We saved money that we needed to spend elsewhere to get a completly well rounded project set up up, & running. Peeps really won't be able to smirk about 001 after 5.1 comes out, & plug-ins work back, & forth between host, & TDM systems.

The line will definatly blur with the exception of the 24tr. limitation. Additionally I fully expect all TDM plug-in 3rd party developers to introduce RTAS versions of the TDM stuff after 5.1. To not do this alienates alot of potential clients, & a trainload of sales, especially taking into consideration the number of 001 systems

that are on-line, & will come on-line in the future.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by DBENNVA@hotmail.com (edited 11-29-2000).]

OneMan is right: Auto-Tune is a lifesaver. That plug-in has saved my neck on several sessions. And not just for vocals ... I've fixed a few bass lines too. Funny you should mention Mic Modeler too. I just finished a remix for a Chinese pop band, and got good results using Mic Mod's saturation feature. Love that glowing virtual tube.

GR

• 5 months later...
Has anyone A/Bed TC's Megareverb and Digi's Reverb One? I'll hopefully have the budget for plug-ins soon, so I want to get the Focusrite bundle and one of these. I'm stuck using the built-in digi plugs, but they're not so bad. Except the EQ and D-Verb, I can't wait to dump those turds. I also like Vari-fi and DINR, but I wish they would bring back Hum Removal.

Actually my Studio is based on Plug-In power... whereas they are VST or DirectX.

I have the following and love'em:

1) Reaktor (it rocks!)

2) B4

3) Pro 52

4) Orange Vocoder

5) TC Native plug ins

6) ANTARES Mic Modeler and sometimes AutoTune (Just great!)

7) Hyperprism plug ins for compression, filtering and stereo enhancement.

8) Timeworks Master EQ, Reverb and Delay

I dunno... I have a lot of them but these are the ones I do use the most of the times.

Not plug ins, but I love these ones too:

1) ReBirth

2) T - Racks

GusTraX

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I tried the demo version of Mic Modeler. Although I don't know if it would replace the real things, I thought it did an excellent job of changing sounds, but not in the way a typical EQ or compressor would. I haven't purchased it yet, but it's on my wish list.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

http://www.f7sound.com

Plug-ins are amazing tools IMO. Two of favorites are McDSP CompressorBank and Wave Mechanics Soundblender (TDM only, unfortunately).

Compressor Bank is a winner for 2 reasons, firstly it sounds fantastic and the controls actually do something (go figure)... other plug ins may look cooler (or hotter if they have fake tube graphics) but McDSP is more DSP efficient. One cannot be too skinny, have too much money, or instanciate too many compressors.

Soundblender is basically an Eventide H3000 in a plug-in.... so one can create amazing keyboardish sounds of all kinds from vocals, drums or ...

The jury is still out on mic modeler...I like the tube distortion (great for Roy Thomas Baker snares) but the mic stuff seems more like one should keep trying different combinations until some magic occurs with the given track.

The other hidden benefit of plug-ins is the ease in creating complex effects that are musically connected to the rest of the music. ( Syncing delays and LFO's to tempo, sidechaining from other tracks, and automation). While this is all possible outboard, the patching time can stifle creativity.

For EQ, I mostly use TC Native's parametric. With it's SoftSat feature, the tracks get phatt! All of the Waves Renaissance plugs are fantastic. Great reverb and compressor.

But my favorite plugs are VST instruments. I'm constantly using Pro 52, PPG Wave, Reaktor, M-Tron, Mercury, Attack, Retro AS-1, and Model E. I've got others too so my sonic palette is pretty damn huge!

Wish I could help you with the MAS side of things, but I can't. VST is where I'm at.

RM-2 by Linplug is a fine machine- anything by Native Instruments is great.

Anything by Waves is just tickles me pink. (Been looking for an excuse to use that creepy expression.)

Accurate emulation of original hardware isn't important to me, the softsynths are their own thing. The fact that you can easily and cheaply integrate any of them into a virtual rack is very important.

My thing these days is to customize the sound of VSTs by amping and micing. For example, on a stereo sound take left channel out to guitar combo, mic it, move combo and mic the right channel, combine all 3 together, pan the mic'd mono files around to fatten the image, maybe have to scoot them around a bit to avoid phasing problems. Some VST filters (like the OhmBoyz Fromage freeware, yes it has a Swiss-cheese GUI) are great, but for instance low-passing in the virtual environment can be utterly empty of highs. Micing adds a touch of noise and introduces some unique high-frequency content from the room- it takes only the tiniest amount of mic'd signal mixed in to get away from that kind of grey sound.

Since the room is the same one for vox, guitar, hand percussion, etc. I think it all sits together better, too.

Ordering the FMHeaven "virtual DX-7" today, but my next plugin investment will be some kind of big hairy old tube amp and speakers.

-CB

Kosmolith

Archived