Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC Emagic users: are they switching to Mac or abandoning?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Emagic can kiss my rear... 14 years of loyalty to them (I've spent SEVERAL THOUSAND on their hardware / software in that time) and they crap all over me? I'll never buy from them again if I have any kind of viable alternative. :mad: I'm keeping what I have, but I've got WAY too much invested in other software (some that isn't even available as a crossgrade) to switch to a Mac and dump out of the PC world, and expecting 35% of their user base to do that was extremely unrealistic of Emagic / Apple if you ask me. I've been using Pro Tools, which is fine for basic sequencing stuff... and I don't do tons of MIDI sequencing these days - it tends to be more audio. And IMO, PT kills Logic for audio. If I need Acid style loops, I use Sonar. Sonar also works well for MIDI... and I still have Logic Platinum. It didn't stop working after 9/30... I just won't be able to get any more upgrades as time goes on. Just one Logic Platinum Windows owner's opinion. :wave:

Arrrrrgh. Don't do it....don't respond. It's just a come on for Tron to go off on yet one more babbling diatribe regarding PC vs Mac. Next, he's going to tell you how ignorant you are for not switching, since Macs and Logic are better than sex, which I'm not sure how he would know, if you take my meaning. Regards, Brian T

Most of the ones I know are just continuing to use Logic, and will until they figure out what to use as a replacement...Sonar, Cubase SX, Pro Tools (works on PC well now). There are plenty of options so there's no need to hurry.

No BrianT, i'm just wondering how are reacting the 100+ thousand people who are producing with Logic

:) Features Are Not An Opinion. :)

(John Hope, 2003)

http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:

UIPLPPICDSS

Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi

Att. Tua Sorella

Codice Mavapigliatelindomo

Pirla Chi Legge

I dumped Logic and switched to Cubase SX. Even if the Mac and Logic are the be all and end all of recording with a computer, for me it's simply a matter of finances: Even if I wanted to switch and were given a shiny new dual G4 and a copy of Logic Audio Platinum for free, I'd still have to cough up thousands of dollars to by Mac versions of the other software that I use. And I just don't have the space or desire to keep and maintain 2 computers at all, let alone 2 different platforms. And don't even mention SoftPC. Blech! Been there, done that. I'd rather drag out my old Commodore 64. So, bye bye Logic, so long Apple, best wishes, happy trails, don't go away mad, just go away.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

After years as an Emagic beta tester, I bailed on Logic about 2 years back, when I became convinced the PC would never get equal treatment and always trail the Mac version for features and stability. I've used enough other dual platform apps to know that a well written app can be equally stable and have the same feature set on both platforms. So after discovering some unsavory coding efforts under the hood on the PC side, I simply decided I no longer believed Emagic's commitment to platform parity, and I bailed. Moved to Cubase VST/32 5.0. I had no idea how accurate my instincts would prove to be. In any event, I already made the transition years back and have been perfectly happy. Yes, I gave up some of Logic's Midi chops and flexibility. But I gained fully functional and correctly implemented VST, VSTi, ASIO 2.0, Rewire, Rex playback, sample accurate sync, multiple VSTi outputs, *working* latency comp on the UAD-1, etc. Some of it literally years before Emagic got it working correctly. Those are big features for me. I do not regret the move. And I have a feeling many SX converts either already feel that way, or will within a revision or two. I currently run Cubase VST/32 on a dual Athlon 2000+ with a gig of ram and could not be happier. When SX gets the Midi clock issues squared away, I'm there. Got to have solid Midi clock, you know? Regards, Brian T

For us, logic stable, and we know it like the back of our hands. so I am stay'n put for now. The last thing I need to do is learn a new program now, while this one serves ALL my needs, and does it well. BUT i will be going by the Emagic booth at NAMM this year to take a dump right in the middle of it, hey, fair play? I did not become my own boss to have some one else tell me what to do. forced to change to mac.... no, I don't think so.

Tim Dolbear

De La Bear Music Group

Eclectica Recordings

Eclectica Studios

www.eclecticarecordings.com

www.mixposse.com

"That singer's pitch was a knuckle ball!!!" TD

I got a PC and a Mac...I use Logic with both computers...although starting to use it more on my new Mac than on my PC. So... Correctly assembled and configured PC's are great. Mac's are great. Logic is an excellent tool, and it would suck if I had to start settling for a tool not as powerful on a computer platform which doesn't satisfy me personally as much as MacOS. Macs are more expensive, and the move away from PCs was treacherous as all get out. But why should I use software that isn't as good at what it does than the one I am currently using, on a computer which i am not 100% convinced about. Even if that means to dish out extra money just because some billionaire company made a desicion that "forces" me to go their way. The thing is, in the end I still prefer going their way. So, technically speaking, I am not really being forced that much... So, I guess you could say I moved to Mac. art

I chose CubaseSX because I'd enjoyed messing around with VST before that. No other reason really...I was looking for something that just clicked in my head right away...everything in CubaseSX made sense to me, surprisingly so. I've heard Nuendo is great but I don't really have time to fiddle with a bunch of programs.

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b] Did you choose Cubase before Nuendo 2.0 was announced? Just curious...[/b][/quote]Yes, I'm enjoying Cubase SX (and SONAR 2.0) at the moment, will probably get Nuendo 2 when it's shipping... Emagic did what they had to do, I hope it works out well for them. -david abraham

I have used Logic since it became available on the PC. Before that, I was a Notator on Atari user. Like many people here, I invested my time and money in Emagic. I was very angry when I first got the news of the buyout in July. I downloaded the SX demo and spent a week with it. It has some nice features, but after I calmed down a bit, I realized that SX was missing some key features that I have grown to depend upon in Logic. So, for now, I'm staying put with Logic on my PC. I figure my P4 2.0GHZ RDRam machine has a few years of life left in it. At that point, I'll decide what to do. I also have too many projects already begun in Logic to make any quick switch. The Apple offer was not appealing to me in any way. I don't have a problem with them really. I do IT work during the day for a company that is split 50-50 Mac and PC. I am very familiar with both. That said, I like OS X better than OS 9, but I like XP Pro better than both. Maybe I'll change my mind when the next "I have to have it" Logic upgrade comes along. But for now, I can make some real nice music with what I have.

Have you seen Emagic's new magazine ad? It shows a classic Corvette, with the verbage below: Change the tires, change the garage, but don't give up what you love" or something like that. Subtle, guys.... :rolleyes: I bought all Opcode hardware software when I bought my G3 Mac, three weeks before they disappeared. I'm still using it, and will continue to do so until I lose both Authorizations on floppy disk. I can't afford "the newest" all the time. Besides, I haven't fully utilized the capabilities of what I already have yet :idea:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Heh-heh! Go ahead! Switch to Cubase! Take it for a little spin... You'll be BACK!!! Heh-heh-heh!!! ---- The "new" math ---- Programs available for Mac: 5,000 Programs available for PC: 5,000,000 Q: What's 5,000,000 minus one? A: A temper tantrum, apparently. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

A week after emApple's announcment all three composing rigs at the studio switched to SX. Logic is dead to us. SX is great for the most part. Much more elegant than Logic in many areas...espically the audio engine. All MIDI clock issues seem to be ironed out as all of our clocking devices sync up great. Including the video machine slaves.

On the Cubase forum, people are still complaining about Midi clock issues with 1.03. Probably doesn't affect everyone any more. In a recent developers chat, Steinberg stated that there is no reason to choose Nuendo over SX if you don't need Nuendo's post capabilities. All other functions will be shared between the two products. Of course, the timing of when you get them will vary. I've just moved to SX from Logic 4.81 MAC. Had been with Logic since V2.5. I had made the decision to move to Logic PC just as the Apple buyout happened. This is because the shift to version 5 Logic was going to require me to replace my entire system anyways. My Mac was pre-USB, and was limited in slots, memory capacity etc. My audio interfaces weren't supported under V5. Since I had to start from scratch, I owed it to myself to check the entire market. As far as the much vaunted stability of LAM, let's just say that my mileage had varied... I like SX a lot. I do miss some of the Logic's refinement, with some things that I could do very simply under Logic taking more work. By the same token, the Project page of SX works brilliantly, and for what I do, I'd have to say the workflow is faster. BTW, if there's a demo being held for the sequencer of your choice, I would recommend attending it. I learned about features and a number of tricks that were non-obvious, but made a major difference in how well SX works for me. js

Archived