Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm heading to London next weekend for 8 days, and was hoping for some hints/tips as to the local music scene. I'd like to know of any clubs where I can catch local talent, and other music-related things to do.

Any input is highly appreciated.

------------------

What's on, your mind?

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to the biggest most international magazine store in your city center, there you will be able to pick up a copy of Time Out London, read it cover to cover, to get a feel for whats going on. If you are lucky, it will be "in date' by a day or so.

When you arrive, immeadiatly buy a fresh copy and read carefully.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jules

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

I have played in a place called "The Mean Fiddler" a long time ago. Back then they had good live music going on there. I don't know if it still exists but I guess you can find out from the magazine Jules suggested.

HTH,

Andre.

I lived over there for a spell. You can find some of the most amazing groups in small pubs (just check the bus schedule cos in parts of the city they quit running at 11:00 and you might be in for a long walk). Tell the truth, I saw most of the best bands in places other than London. Get up to Edinborough sp? if you can and see if 'Smile' is still around.

Things to check in the day if time permits; London Dungeon, National Gallery, Grinwich etc.

davecharles@musician.net

Originally posted by Julian standen:

Go to the biggest most international magazine store in your city center, there you will be able to pick up a copy of Time Out London, read it cover to cover, to get a feel for whats going on. If you are lucky, it will be "in date' by a day or so.

When you arrive, immeadiatly buy a fresh copy and read carefully.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jules

Good advice this, if you have the time there is a great live music scene in the north east of the UK in and around Newcastle on Tyne, was up there last month and saw some of the best new talent I've seen for ages, also check out Stockton and Middlesborough if ya get up there. I don't know if it still does but Cambridge also used to have a fab music scene but i guess it quietens right down when the students take there summer recess.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

(Jazz)

Ronnie Scotts' still open? Great place to see a couple of really GOOD jazz acts. It's one of those "must see" places in Lhandan, besides Stringfellows...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

To all: Thanks again for the tips.

To Shane:

I have pretty eclectic tastes and would be interested in anything ranging from folk to jazz to rock to avant garde. I would prefer small venues, but am willing to go larger for something really interesting/innovative. Not all that interested in Rap/Rave. I have absolutely no scheduled activities, so I would be willing to take a side trip for a good act.

Please respond here or to the e-mail address in my profile.

Thanks

Rock, jazz, avant garde, folk ???- you could have asked me something I know about. Here's a few suggestions tho-

Hope and Anchor

207 Upper Street, Islington, N1 (0207 354 1312)

Highbury & Islington tube/rail. A small rock venue where many big UK bands started out.

Swan

215 Clapham Road, Stockwell, SW9 (0207 978 9778/ http://www.theswanstockwell.com).Stockwell tube. Irish folk music or just raucus loud with lots of drinkin' (reccomended)

Moriarty's Acoustic Club 57 Liverpool Road, Islington N1, Angel Tube

(0207 837 5370) - some folk (reccomended because I know the owner)

Jazz Cafe, Camden NW1, Camden Town tube (check whats on some very good artists sometimes) - less trad than Ronnies Scotts.

Royal Festival Hall - from Jazz to Siberian throat singing. Have a pint on the southbank of the Thames and watch the world float by.

Hackney Marshes,

Hackney London, E8

Essential Festival 2001 blurb says:

"Essential Entertainments presents the dance and roots festival, the Dance day will be on Saturday the 14th of July and the Roots day shall be on the following day Sunday 15th July,with 8 arenas jam packed with DJ's and artists such as,George Clinton and the P-Funk AllStars,Isaac Hayes,Public Enemy, Judge Jules,Ice T,Jurassic 5,Goldie,Grooverider,Artful Dodger,Luck and Neat,The Mighty Jah Shaka Sound System and Biz Markie just to name very few, there are many many more entertainers i failed to menssion performing at this event, come down and see why it's rated one of the greatest that the UK has to offer!"

Do look in Time Out and on the web. London has one of the most diverse ethnic mixes of anywhere in the world you'll find folk music from every corner of the world. Enjoy!

if I see any more good things I'll post them.

Thanks Shane!

I've been working out extra for a month so I can be in prime condition to raise those pints. I'll be staying very near Paddington station, if any of your subsequent discoveries are near there.

What music are YOU interested in? Turn me on to something new, man.

------------------

What's on, your mind?

Archived