Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nady SCM900 Diaphragm Condenser Mic

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two of these. They sound good. Did a live concert a little while ago and it turned out good. I like them, but the thing that sucks is that they didn't come with a shockmount.

-blind

For $50 (that's right, FIFTY) more, he Nady SCM-1000 is even better.

It has three polar patterns (omni, fig.8, and cardioid), a high-pass

filter, and a -10 db pad. For $150.

Yes, of course the Nady mics are Chinese-made Neumann knockoffs.

They are obviously made at the same factory that makes the Rode NT-2,

the Langevin mic, all of the mics by BPM, Audix, Behringer, Marshall, etc.

But for the price (hardly more than an SM57), the Nady SCM-1000 is

the clear winner of this bunch.

what's up with the music stores in NYC?

Yesterday I dropped by Sam Ash, go into the back "mic closet" or whatever that room is. Employee is telling a story about how he used to be "highly sought-after for his mic-placement skills, but then everybody went to digital recording." (huh?) So he doesn't know anything about the Nady condensers, but goes to do a search for "Nedy" on the inventory system.

After correcting, they don't have it.

So I walk down the street to Manny's, go in the back to the recording/computer guys who are sitting around amongst their plugins and whatnot. "We don't sell wireless here." and give me that look of mixed pity & scorn. ('A Nady condenser! Haha!')

WTF? Why aren't these clowns up on things?

I always find it amusing that I'm no expert, but I always know more than any sales rep I talk to.

And these retail places convince themselves that they lose sales to mail order because they can't compete with the prices. Of course, this is a load of b.s.

If these jackasses knew shit from shinola, people would pay the slight premium for a knowledgable place to do business. But they don't, so we educate ourselves about a product, and buy it from the cheapest place.

Not to mention, one of the main advantages to doing business with an actual store would be service. Yet, this quality is also completely missing from the retail environment.

Originally posted by dr destructo:

I always find it amusing that I'm no expert, but I always know more than any sales rep I talk to.

And these retail places convince themselves that they lose sales to mail order because they can't compete with the prices. Of course, this is a load of b.s.

If these jackasses knew shit from shinola, people would pay the slight premium for a knowledgable place to do business. But they don't, so we educate ourselves about a product, and buy it from the cheapest place.

Not to mention, one of the main advantages to doing business with an actual store would be service. Yet, this quality is also completely missing from the retail environment.

I don't know what's going on with music stores nowadays, I consider myself a rookie but sales guys, don't know nothing most of them anyway, there still a few good guys that know but not that many.

I try to find product reviews, user reviews, before I go to the store to buy anything and then they try to sell you something else probably because they get more commision.

Vilo

------------------

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, BE HAPPY! :)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Well, the mic came in. I connected it to the tube pre and did some tests. I've used a Neumann U87 before and I guess this is the closest I will come for the money. Although, there are a couple of others for a hundred plus more that are Chinese made that are equal to the U87.

Overall, the mike has balls and decent high end, even though it only specs out at 16k. It picked up my dogs paws walking across the carpet so it has good range for subtle sound. I give it a 7.75-8.5 depending on the application.

I bought 2 of these on a whim because of the price. I found them too bright for most vocal situations, but they recorded tambourine & shaker better than my 87 or Audio-technica 4050 (no clacking midrange distortion). On a similar note, I bought two Octava large diaphragm cardioid condensers (can't remember the model #) and put one up against my friend's very expensive and highly coveted tube U47 which has been used for vocals by many top shelf engineers/producers (names withheld), on records you probably own. Aside from the U47 having more output and a slightly extended low end (down in the rumble range listening to faint air conditioner noise) they sounded VERY similar. Granted they were not THE SAME. but no one involved in the session could say which was BETTER. Changes in mic position were greater than the differences between these two mics.

This isn't meant to be a mic endorsement, and if the $6000 U47 sounds better to you and you've got the money, then go for it! If it makes the singer sing better - go for it! This has never been MY experience, so I'll stick to trusting my ears and spending the artist's money on more important things.

Archived