Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis going through some changes?

Craig,

Maybe you could shake the tree a bit and get some info for us who have been waiting for the HD24? 3D audio's forum has just confirmed that something is going on over at Alesis, but no definite proof other than employees confirming that "something" is going down with the company. Takeover or buyout perhaps?

Eric

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it isn't so! Digi is buying Alesis? That would be horrible. Digi jacked up the price consideribly when they obtained all distribution rights on the Motormix, and you know that they'd do it with Alesis as well. I swear in about 10 years there will be about 2 companies left on the planet: AOL-TimeWarner-McDonalds-NBC-Microsoft- Pepsi and Philip Moris-Coke-VIACOM-IBM-Fox.

-Dylan

Originally posted by Jonathan Hughes:

Someone on the MOTU list heard that Digidesign was buying them, and someone on SonicState heard that Fender was buying them. Fender seems like an odd fit. Digidesign maybe.

Sorry, I have no inside knowledge about this. But I actually think Fender would be a good fit. They're getting more into technology, have great branding, massive distribution, and could get a technology division just by writing a check. Part of the appeal, I would think, is that Alesis isn't just recorders, but mics, preamps, DJ gear, etc...a great way for Fender to diversify. Hmmmm...let's see what develops. I think Alesis has some brilliant people working for them, I hope they can survive. They essentially created the project studio revolution with ADAT, and I think they have more good ideas in them just waiting to come out.

Alesis is reported as being very noisy anyway, from a lot of professional sound men. Equipment looks good, but they say it doesn't hold up, on specs or on the road.

Originally posted by staupep@hotmail.com:

Craig,

Maybe you could shake the tree a bit and get some info for us who have been waiting for the HD24? 3D audio's forum has just confirmed that something is going on over at Alesis, but no definite proof other than employees confirming that "something" is going down with the company. Takeover or buyout perhaps?

Eric

Alesis makes some great gear. They make some entry level stuff that unfortunately people have tried to use out side of its market. Re: the remark about Digidesign jacking up the price of the motormix...that is BS! The prices dropped my friend! Go look in your buyers guide from two years ago! I hope Fender does not buy Alesis. The management has no reguard for loyalty of its employees. They have "used" some engineers for their designs then fired them, only to re-issue new models that aren't as good.

I hope Mackie buys them. That would be a hoot.

Hey, I just posted something an hour ago..!

Apparently, Alesis is selling off some biz, like DM5 and Groove Tube, firing some people, but will still be Alesis owned by Alesis..

I still want that HDR24 for sure..

Hey, Craig, I think one of the founders of MXR started Alesis - what was his name? There's an interesting story behind that, but I'm a little fuzzy 'cause it was so long ago.

My older brother Bobby (the one who calls you "Stompbox Craig") was just here a little while ago, on a brief break from touring. He collects stompboxes, so I sold him my MXR Distortion +, script logo. It had this breadbox-type circuit board, with the initials "JB" carefully and neatly autographed right on the board. It was clearly a very-early pedal, hand-assembled, before they went to assembly-line production. Bobby luvs pedals and has the most amazing collection I have ever seen, and I wasn't using it, so I felt kinda guilty holding onto it.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Quote:

"I hope Mackie buys them. That would be a hoot."

Hoot-hoot!

Right, should the kings of waporvare-marketing take over Alesis? Bad idea.

I hope they can make it on their own or else perhaps the Harman Group would be good for them (& us). Worst-case scenario: Gibson... or Samson/Behringer.

/Mats

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 03-30-2001 at 03:54 AM

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I would think either Mackie or Tascam or Yamaha etc would beneifit by getting the $2000 HD24 either off the market or getting the price up where their sales won't plummett, cause I think Alesis is set to kill the competition at that price point given Roger's appraisal of the convertors. I was all set to buy an 8 channel AD/DA for $1500 but have put that purchase off to buy an Alesis 24 channel AD/DA for $1800.

Eric

>>Hey, Craig, I think one of the founders of MXR started Alesis - what was his name? There's an interesting story behind that, but I'm a little fuzzy 'cause it was so long ago.<<

That would be Keith Barr, someone who actually deserves the appellation of "genius."

I like the Fender idea. They've become a lean, intelligent company since Bill took over, with a sharp marketing department and a real commitment to customer satisfaction. The new Cyber-Twin amp shows an interest in music technology (beyond guitars, that is), and I think their management style would do good things for Alesis. A smart call, Craig.

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

I can't believe this. I thought Alesis was making a killing from the ADAT and lisenced lightpipe technologies. Buying Groove Tubes was questionable, but they have had many successful products. Glad I'm not in manufacturing.

-David R.

-David R.

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>Hey, Craig, I think one of the founders of MXR started Alesis - what was his name? There's an interesting story behind that, but I'm a little fuzzy 'cause it was so long ago.<<

That would be Keith Barr, someone who actually deserves the appellation of "genius."

The way I understand it Keith Barr started MXR with the guys who are ART now. At least that what the Alesis old timers told me when I first started at Alesis in 1990.

R.M.

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>The way I understand it Keith Barr started MXR with the guys who are ART now. <<

That is correct. Phil Betette, now head of ART, was another person in with MXR at the beginning.

I know this is wildly off topic but still of cultural interest. ART is located in Rochester, NY and if you happen to be in that neighbourhood you really should visit Charlie's Frog Pond for breakfast or lunch. They make a killer fritata.

Spring greetings from Sweden!

Mats Nermark

This is not what I saw on my end. Again, prices vary depending on location and where your looking, but to the best of my knowledge the price of the Motormix went up about $100 once Digi got control of the distribution. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. It has been known to happen before ;-).

-Dylan

Originally posted by handybrent@hotmail.com:

Re: the remark about Digidesign jacking up the price of the motormix...that is BS! B]

<,I would think either Mackie or Tascam or Yamaha etc would beneifit by getting the $2000 HD24 either off the market or getting the price up where their sales won't plummett, cause I think Alesis is set to kill the competition at that price point given Roger's appraisal of the convertors. >>

This was my first thought too, but I now believe that the markets for these various recorders are not really the same. The Mackie in particular enables one to do powerful, non-destructive editing, while the Alesis does not. The Alesis seems well suited for someone who edits in a computer, but it's not really competition for a standalone like the Mackie, imo.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Originally posted by mats.nermark@swipnet.se:

I know this is wildly off topic but still of cultural interest. ART is located in Rochester, NY and if you happen to be in that neighbourhood you really should visit Charlie's Frog Pond for breakfast or lunch. They make a killer fritata.

Spring greetings from Sweden!

Mats Nermark

Gee, Mats, you get around. I don't think many Europeans bother to visit Rochester.

Maybe PEAVEY will buy them and run with it. Peavey has the network and they have few conflicting lines. I think the Alesis DSP products are better than Peaveys. The Cakewalk thing is a turd, and they need something else. Yep, that lightningbolt logo would be ok on their gear.

Originally posted by Dylan Walters:

This is not what I saw on my end. Again, prices vary depending on location and where your looking, but to the best of my knowledge the price of the Motormix went up about $100 once Digi got control of the distribution. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. It has been known to happen before ;-).

-Dylan

im a little peeved about this too. digi are such bastids! i was getting ready to buy one but i dont like the price increase or the fact that the money will be going to digi.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Chicken Little: "The sky is falling!"

Chairman Greenspan: "Well, the sky has been overdue for a correction for at least the last few fiscal quarters. Furthermore, the expectation that the sky will hover overhead indefinitely indicates an irrational exhuberance in the markets. Artificially inflated price-to-earnings ratio averages across the sky have long anticipated a gradually sustained decsent of the sky. However, to contend that the sky is "falling" connotes that the sky is in recession, which is inaccurate, because the rate of downward pressure on the sky is not in keeping with the technical definition of a recession, which requires that the sky reverses it's position at a rate of 3% or more within one fiscal year. Current forecasts indicate a velocity of descent of the sky that falls well short of that requirement. "

Chicken Little: So the sky is falling?

Chairman Greenspan: The sky is in a forecasted mild descent, which will presumably reverse itself when the effects of the Alesis Corporation's re-structuring take effect.

Chicken Little: Thank you, Chairman Greenspan. Back to you, Tom Brokaw.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

Chairman Greenspan: "Well, the sky has been overdue for a correction for at least the last few fiscal quarters. Furthermore, the expectation that the sky will hover overhead indefinitely indicates an irrational exhuberance in the markets. Artificially inflated price-to-earnings ratio averages across the sky have long anticipated a gradually sustained decsent of the sky. However, to contend that the sky is "falling" connotes that the sky is in recession, which is inaccurate, because the rate of downward pressure on the sky is not in keeping with the technical definition of a recession, which requires that the sky reverses it's position at a rate of 3% or more within one fiscal year. Current forecasts indicate a velocity of descent of the sky that falls well short of that requirement. "

I hate to say it, but that was pretty fricking funny.

*Now* you know the sky is falling....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 04-05-2001 at 02:29 AM

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived