Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Io suono passionare!

Okay, so I'm just accused of being passionate, we don't really know if I have any passion or if I'm just faking it.

Well, number one, I'm not faking it because I'm a man and not a woman. Women fake it, men do it for real; it's a very good representation of the differences in the psyches of men and women too. Men don't have to fake it honey, we're for real!

So, now we know that I have passion. Next question: do any of the writers here have passion?

They used to. I remember the glory days when they could write to inspire and cause rebellion in the ranks of the Shure Stage PA Systems owners!

God, did that old Shure PA suck or what!

But still, I'd love to have one today, if for nothing else but the nostalgia. After all, was the old Silvertone and Shure that everything else evolved from, even yes, Neve's work.

Capisce?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE Terry James comments re Dan South's contest:

>>Before I vacate the premises, I had to post to this one:

What are you holding out in front of people??? Exhibitionist.

Like any response to an offer for aid, live aid, or any other crapola that comes down the pike:

Why didn't you give it away anonymously, and personally?<<

Man, I am so glad I don't have to wake up and be you every day. It must be hell to go through life with that kind of an attitude.

I realize you like to fire off missives without any real background knowledge (MTV in 1976...yeah, whatever). So here's the deal.

I sponsored a contest to give recognition to the regular posters in this forum. I asked people who frequent the forum to vote for the people who they thought were the most helpful, eloquent, or whatever. Because right after NAMM people had opened up folders on Sonar and Digital Performer 3, I approached both Cakewalk and MOTU and asked if they'be willing to donate a prize to the winner - if a Mac head, DP3; if a Windows fan, Sonar. They said sure, why not.

Well, DanSouth got inspired by this, and decided that HE wanted to do something nice for the people who frequent this board. THAT'S why he didn't to it privately, because how is he going to meet these people in the non-cyberspace world?

I understand that your mental frame of reference may not grasp the concept of someone simply wanting to give something back to the people who have given much to him. It appears your world view requires some sort of cynical or self-serving motive for any action, no matter how innocent it seems.

I don't know what happened to you to make you so bitter, or in such need to aggrandize yourself by attempting -- unsuccessfully, I might add -- to diminish others. If that works for you, fine. But it definitely places you at cross-purposes to the many fine, patient, educated, and helpful people who frequent this forum. Your rants have been semi-entertaining, and certainly given us all an excuse to toss off some good one-liners, but this last post is just plain sad. This isn't such a terrible world, and there are people with genuine and kind motives.

I can tell you have passion and intelligence, but somewhere it seems like they took a wrong turn and ended up in a blind alley. Your posts are a cry for help and attention, but are phrased in such a way as to guarantee results that reinforce your mindset - that people are mean and cruel.

Terry, I don't know you and you don't know me. All I can say is I recognize something genuine in there, but it's covered by layers of something that isn't right. As you say you'll be leaving soon, I just want to say before you go, that I hope you find whatever it takes to allow you to appreciate the fragility, and beauty, of the human condition. Sure, there's evil and cruelty in this world. If we don't feed it, perhaps it will go away.

Originally posted by music@catt.com:

They used to. I remember the glory days when they could write to inspire and cause rebellion in the ranks of the Shure Stage PA Systems owners!

God, did that old Shure PA suck or what!

Those were the glory days, my grandfather fought in The Rebellion and he used to tell me such stories, him and General Neve on the front lines...blah...blah..blah...snooze...

This message has been edited by stevepow on 03-30-2001 at 02:52 PM

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Terry aka music@catt.com posts:

>>I'm not faking it because I'm a man and not a woman. Women fake it, men do it for real; it's a very good representation of the differences in the psyches of men and women too. Men don't have to fake it honey, we're for real!<<

So that's it: the brutha ain't gettin' no poontang! That must be a bitch.

My condolences, & que gatze mene fregue, ya strunze. THAT's Italian!

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Curve - have a heart man! Poor ol' fucker, veteren of the PA wars - Shure he can't get no satisfaction, what with the years of exposure to the blistering SUNN, the agent Orange, the HIWATTage electrical fields - the bad ACID. That and the teasing groupies - enough to give anyone an Echoplex and a major pet Peavey. The once Dynamic, now Beyers his poor Condensed soul and wears a Crown of virtual thorns.

So leave him in peace, at home with his B3 and five draw bars grinding away - no longer the same since Leslie left him, but who could blame her - God knows she tried to make it work. Someone write them a country song, please - it's the least we can do.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Terry James,

1. None of us are affiliated with the Justice department or Napster(as far as I'm aware). Your wasting your energy here. I suggest you send e-mails to your congressman, Good Ol' GW, the riaa and anybody else but theres nothing we here as individuals can do. It seems many of us have had our interests taken into consideration by the riaa in their motions against napster wich have by all counts been a success. If I may say, now the threat is not napster as much as other networks, so I'd implore those in the industry to adopt some type of digital watermarking and other preventative measure's. Perhaps you can send Tommy Matolla some emails on this matter with your oh so "elegant" demeanor. If your effective perhaps youll even manage a restraining order.

- As far as cakewalk is concerned, I doubt your argument would last one second in court considering its a more stable program than most on the market.

2. If you at some time have been taking medication for manic depression or schizophrenia have you quit taking it? If you can think objectively, step back and take a breath, maybe its time to call the doctor and refill that prescription before you hurt yourself.

If you have been drinking, Id suggest in the future sober up before going on line.

This is not an attack, but a suggestion as somebody who see's you have been ineffective in accomplishing whatever it is you've attempted unless what youre attempt at is making an ass of yourself.

Posted by Terry James:

>>>Okay, so I'm just accused of being passionate

==============================

If by passionate you mean Judgemental, obtuse, emotionally bankrupt, condescending, ill-informed and just plain ignorant, then yes, you are by far the MOST PASSIONATE person I have ever encountered. Real or imagined...

KHAN(Flame Suit......Check)

This message has been edited by KHAN on 03-30-2001 at 03:50 PM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

>>If you have been drinking, I'd suggest in the future sober up before going on line.<<

NOW, WAIT JUSTA MINUTE!!!

Let's not get out of hand. One loopy-lumbago on the board, and suddenly we have to sober up?! Sheesh, I normally don't even come to this party before I've had a few.

CURVE(Martini Shaker...Check)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

music@catt said:

>>Okay, so I'm just accused of being passionate, we don't really know if I have any passion or if I'm just faking it.<<

I'd say you seem to be pretty passionate, and that's great. The problem seems to be not in your passion, but rather in your desire for confrontation, which is exhibited in your inflamitory posts.

>>Well, number one, I'm not faking it because I'm a man and not a woman. Women fake it, men do it for real; it's a very good representation of the differences in the psyches of men and women too. Men don't have to fake it honey, we're for real!<<

On the contrary, MANY men fake it all the time. Maybe not sexually in the "traditional" sense of the expression (as your post seems to imply, if I misunderstood, I apologise) but in their day to day lives. They pretend they care. They pretend that their jobs mean something to them besides sustenance. They pretend that they're happy when they are not. And yes, some even pretend in sexual situations - they pretend to be committed or emothionally involved when they're not.

You see, this is exactly what I was referring to when I said that your posts are somewhat inflamitory. Many readers might be offended (as I admit I was upon first reading it) - especially women. Deception is a non gender related issue. Many men are deceptive and "fake passion" (in many different ways as I tried to outline above) and many women are very passionate. Making blanket generalizations and so forth is unfair and prejudicial.

>>So, now we know that I have passion. Next question: do any of the writers here have passion?

They used to. I remember the glory days when they could write to inspire and cause rebellion in the ranks of the Shure Stage PA Systems owners!<<

Oh, I've seen some of the writers here (I assume you're referring to the people who write in trade papers, such as Roger, Craig, Chris, et al) rip manufacturers new backsides over equipment related issues.

I personally won't bother with a trade publication for very long if the integrity of the writers seems to be fading. Those people I mentioned are our hosts here, and I appreciate all that they offer to us. Hey, they're giving you the opportunity to say pretty much whatever you want, and not pulling your plug as I feel a lot of other sites might have done already. The information I get in those publications is valuable to me - because I *trust* these people. Do I always agree with them? No, but their honesty and journalistic integrity are not questioned because they've proven to me (in the 22 years I've been reading their stuff) that they can be trusted.

>>God, did that old Shure PA suck or what!<<

Yeah, it sucked, but so did a lot of gear that was available back then. For what it was, and when it was built, and what it was designed to handle, it wasn't bad, but then again, it was never meant to handle a live rock concert for 500 people outdoors with the whole band going through it... Time marches on, and the gear (in many cases - I'll certainly agree that it's not always true) gets better and better (on average) all the time. There's certainly more options to chose from today than ever before. Don't like digital? There's still plenty of analog stuff available, and at very reasonable prices. No one's forcing you to go digital. Why not go find a nice old JH-24 and use that? You can get them dirt cheap nowdays...

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

When I was a little kid, I used to love to shovel snow. I couldn't wait to get my hands on that snow shovel. After I'd finished shoveling our own walk and the sidewalk in front of the house, I'd start on the neighbors walks. I don't know why, but I just couldn't shovel enough snow!

Invariably, one or two neighbors would come running out of their houses, mad as hell. "I'm not PAYING you for this, you little son of a bitch!" I'd stand their dumbfounded. I had no idea what they were talking about, but they were plenty angry. Of course they weren't going to pay me, and I had no intention of asking them to. I just liked to shovel snow.

It wasn't until many years later that I came to realize that some people see the world as a hateful place filled with scheming, self-serving, opportunists. Looking at it from that viewpoint, my neighbors' reactions made perfect sense. The assumed that anyone who performed an unsolicited good deed was making a calcutated attempt at scamming a buck out of them. I'm sorry that some people think that way, because it's entirely foreign to every fibre of my being. I hope that one day these people can deal with their issues and begin to enjoy some of the happiness in the world instead of wallowing in its shallows and miseries.

The important thing is to accept the miserable as they, but and to keep their demons at bay, so as to not let them bring the rest of us down. If we stop being generous because of the reactions of a small, unappreciative minority, then we ourselves will eventually become spiteful and miserable, too. Just as they are. Just as my poor old neighbors were.

That said, I don't see myself as being particulary generous in my offer to give away old, crusty gear that I don't even want anymore. Carvin bass? Hell, I've got Laklands, now. Quadraverb? I've got an M3000 that blows it away. If I really wanted to win friends and influence people, I would have bought some nice, new, shiny gear and would have held that carrot up in front of everybody. But that, to me, would come off as an obvious scheme, some desperate attention-getting ploy. My offer is merely one of practicality. I don't need this stuff anymore, and it's not going to bring enough on Ebay to warrant the aggravation of dealing with esgrow accounts, so I'll let someone here use it if they can find a home for it.

I would welcome this "music" guy to join in our discussions and share some of his productions with us. Maybe he'll discover that he really DOES have something of value to offer, and maybe he'll finally figure out that he does not have to attack others and make outrageous statements to be accepted and appreciated.

>>>maybe he'll finally figure out that he does not have to attack others and make outrageous statements to be accepted and appreciated.

===============================

maybe not...

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived