Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most annoying marketing hypes

>>Not too far back Johnson had an ad "Not all models are equal" that really turned me off. It was comparing a rubber doll holding a POD to a live girl model holding a J-Station. <<

Did they run that ad over here? Maybe it was just for the European market.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

Did they run that ad over here? Maybe it was just for the European market.

Yeah, Craig. It was running in all three main guitar magazines, including MPN's own Guitar Player, I believe.

- Jeff

Well, I'm not sure if this qualifies for marketing hype, but...

What bugs me is synths who advertise 64 note polyphony when this applies only for single element voices (for synths w/ up to 4 elements per voice, for instance). A scan of the presets will show that most sounds will use between 2-4 elements, so you basically NEVER get the 64 note polyphony. I've seen a lot of people get confused by this, specially newbies to synths. I wish they made this clear in the literature, which they don't, so I classify this for marketing hype.

Rod

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but when the ADAT came out and used the SVHS tape, and the DA88's used the smaller Hi8 tape, there was a marketing buzz about the ADATs being superior because they had "bigger bits".

Bigger bits? Now that one is priceless!!

Nika.

How about Yamaha's AX4416:

Someday someone will design a small box that will replace a room full of mixers, microphones, recorders, rack gear blah blah...That would be today!

And another from spec sheet of same:

True 24 bit recording!

As opposed to un-true?

Sales Weasel speak and a half. GRRRR!!

Eric

This message has been edited by staupep@hotmail.com on 03-05-2001 at 09:54 AM

.. anything labelled '24 bit' is a damn lie...

Ahhh, yes. The so-called "marketing bits"...

My absolute "favorite" was the audio workstation that proudly proclaimed in its NAMM debut, all its literature and on the outside of its box that it was 24 bit...and yet, it had 20 bit converters!

Yeah, sure, they were probably talking about internal processing, but that's been around for quite some time, and the way that this particular company painted it, it was quite obviously misleading.

dB

This message has been edited by Dave Bryce on 03-05-2001 at 11:04 AM

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

For anyone interested in why 24-bit isn't actually 24-bit (as well as a lot of great info on sampling rates and dithering), check out the June '98 issue of Keyboard, cover story, "Bit Wars."

Believe it or not, KB was the first MI magazine to tackle the 24/96 issue with any depth. Horrible cover graphic, and the issue didn't sell that well, but it's still one of my favorite issues from my time there.

Marv

The problem is that most folks (no-one here, I'm sure), can't tell apples from oranges..

I mean, a analogue Whackie desk is 96kHz, right? Must be good then..

The dbx 'Blue' Converter is 27 bit..

The Antares Autopop is 56 bit, so that's even better.

How come they (those ad folks) always print 'actual usable dynamic range, with a mic attached and gain @ +35dB with all channels filled up' on the bottom of the box, the new wonder DAW came in..?? If printed at all..

Also DAWs track count should be the # of tracks one can RECORD at once.. not playback.

20 years ago it would have been impossible to sell a 2" 16tr, that can RECORD 2 tracks at a time, but playback 16.. urggg..

I'm gonna build me a 256 track DAW (but it records in mono.. shhh), 1GHz (it really is an ol' surplus military radio), 128 bit (that's right.. it comes in 128 bits'n'pieces) made completely with tubes (the 19" frontplate will be a piece of glas like the current trend)..

It's only downgradable, uses 136GB pr track (but hey, look at those HD prices now a days!), and will only interface with itself.

But it's the future! For only 99.999.999.999$

A faderbank will be availiable soon... as soon as all those SSL 4Ks have been dumped. I always liked their faders..

I'm going to cut and paste from a major manufacturer's site the gunk I find annoying:

"unparalleled for features, quality and value" - until the competition comes out with their next version.

"even more effortless" - I thought effortless was just that? WHAT, you mean it WASN'T effortless before?

"seamlessly" - I hate that word in ads...you know it's a bald-face lie...next release will be "even more seamlessly", no doubt...grrr

"unrivalled flexibility" - assuming you only do these two things - in THIS way...

"the best of both worlds" - maybe Wayne's World and Spinal Tap?

An unspecified prize goes to the person who can guess which (one) site I grabbed 'em from.

------------------

Larry W.

Larry W.

Nobody in this thread has yet mentioned the shameless over-use of "modeled" and "modeling."

Physical modeling is a complex software process in which a programmer designs an algorithm whose parts respond to their inputs by behaving in a way that's analogous to the how the parts of the physical system being modeled behave. For instance, in a physical model of a saxophone, increasing the "wind pressure" parameter will cause changes in the reed portion of the model, the air column portion of the model, and so on.

Creating a physical model is not simple. You have to think about things like what happens when the player bites down too hard on the reed. Your model has to output the same kind of squeak. Not only that, it has to be "intelligent" enough to produce a squeak with variable characteristics as the value of the bite strength parameter increases.

I have a vague recollection that one keyboard manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) touted a multisampled piano as "modeled" because they had also included a sample of what the whole harp sounded like with the pedal down. By definition, anything sampled is NOT modeled. And I'd be fairly surprised if some of the "mic model" software out there wasn't just using EQ curves to emulate classic mics. Okay, you had to test the original mic to find out what EQ curve to use -- but THAT'S NOT MODELING.

A real mic model (which may be the kind you'll see on the market -- I haven't researched this on a brand-by-brand basis, nor would the companies in question necessarily divulge their code secrets) would by definition include, at the very least, the differences in the mic's frequency and transient response at different SPL's. Whether it would be practical to model off-axis response I don't know, but you'd think that would be part of a true mic model too, right?

Harrumph. End of tirade.

--Jim Aikin

This message has been edited by Jim Aikin on 03-06-2001 at 05:02 PM

Originally posted by lwilliam:

An unspecified prize goes to the person who can guess which (one) site I grabbed 'em from.

Hee-hee...I bet I know, and it's not mine (I hope). But for politic's sake, I can't say here, damnit.

My favorite: "even more effortless". Sheesh, and I thought *I* was a bad marketing slime. That takes the cake.

- Jeff

I got five dollars on Mackie.....

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by lwilliam:

I'm going to cut and paste from a major manufacturer's site the gunk I find annoying:

"unparalleled for features, quality and value" - until the competition comes out with their next version.

"even more effortless" - I thought effortless was just that? WHAT, you mean it WASN'T effortless before?

"seamlessly" - I hate that word in ads...you know it's a bald-face lie...next release will be "even more seamlessly", no doubt...grrr

"unrivalled flexibility" - assuming you only do these two things - in THIS way...

"the best of both worlds" - maybe Wayne's World and Spinal Tap?

This message has been edited by NYC Drew on 03-06-2001 at 06:04 PM

Variations on this one have popped up over the years: "Will you still respect your (keyboard, speakers, whatever) in the morning?" stuck on a picture of some dork in bed with his new, er, equipment. I thought you had to have a Communications degree or something to write ads, these boys are obviously still in Junior High...

One other: "Now YOU can have Perfect Pitch!!!" Ad must work, DB has had a full two-page ad in the 'zines every month for years...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived