Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SOMA - Private Forum Technical Difficulties

Brakka,

There was an entire thread that was relative to FTP uploading instructions, but I don't recall the exact date or name of the thread. Also, there was a thread relative to File submission formats that had some very detailed information in it. These two threads are among the TOPS in priority for retrieval. There were a lot of discussions that were important, but none so as informative as these mentioned.

These topics were where we were deciding what bit rates to use, the file types to use, and I believe there were instructions posted as to the use of Shorten, file compression and decompression and so forth inside of these two threads. If memory serves me correctly.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, I'll try to get those.

I need you to narrow things down though- give me an approxinate date on the posts needed. Also, if you remember, who posted the posts in question? (forum username)

I work until midnight tonight, but I'll try to dig those up after work.

I'm pretty sure that I started both threads. The one thread had a title with ______, ________, & file submission formats. Both threads started early on in the project, probably around the 2nd week after the draft closed. I'm not sure what the title is on the other thread, if you can do a "control + find" to locate the word FTP, you would probably be able to locate that thread.

Which directory are you looking in ... are you seeking in "community" for the content? I was searching through several different directories to even find anything that even remotely looked like any of the text. Also, I was looking at the cpanel today and noticed that the "forum" directory no longer existed. Was it necessary to delete this folder to enable installation of the new one?

Wrave, I'm going to add your harp back in in a few spots. I muted it here and there more than I should have. Have no fears.

Ani, problem vocal spots for me:

2nd verse:

"pieces all together" you seem to be out of breath by "together", and it sounds forced.

Same thing with "heartache" in the 3rd verse. This is initially where I thought you were going flat. Fill up those lungs girl.

I also find the words "it's like" and "but you" are used too often, and tend to make you rush the beginning of the verse. On the 2nd verse, try singing it like this:

"Like trying to pull the color out of darkness

You never see the sun"

This will allow you to concentrate more on the tones you sing, rather than unecessary words. I don't actually hear much tone at the beginning of those phrases anyway.

Brett, Bob?

In other news, this will be the last tune for me until after the holidays, at least. I'm going to be re-modeling the studio.

:cool:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

One more thing Ani, I noticed hum in your track, I guess maybe a grounding issue, or a dimmer switch?

If possible, see if you can track it and minimize.

In this version it gets buried, but if I do the minimalist version, it may be a problem in the quieter areas.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Dan, if you can work with the track I submitted that's fine with me.

Ani, if you're having problems with grounding issues, hum and stuff like that, I bought a small power conditioner that has made a world of difference in my studio.

BTW, I got six more weeks on the meds. The countdown is on. WhooHaaa!

Yeah, the Holidays are getting pretty close. Most of us will be pretty busy. I can almost smell that turkey roasting now!!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Okay Dan,

That's more of what I wanted to hear. :thu: EXACT trouble spots. Now I know where to focus.

I've committed myself to getting back in the Gym and Swim routine.... nearly $50.00 a month, so fitness will in top priority for a little while until I reach a comfort zone in tone. I'll be heading out there this morning. I'll try to look at these areas some more later after I return, and if I don't get to it today, I'll have Weds. evening off from the kids and also this is the ex's weekend coming up to take the kids. I should have some respectible time to work on it this week.

As far as the hum, if I fail to power my CPU on the computer down while tracking on the Roland it ALWAYS creates a hum. They both run on the same circuit and the CPU runs interference with the other equipment. The wiring in that room has not been upgraded yet, it's aluminum still. I've been rewiring and going through the house with 12-2 grounded. Eventually.... some day.... I'll get it all rewired. Or we'll start selling hit songs and I kiss this baby goodbye; donate it to some struggling couple needing a start in life.... Or a single mother that needs a home for her and her children.

Originally posted by Ani:

I'm pretty sure that I started both threads. The one thread had a title with ______, ________, & file submission formats. Both threads started early on in the project, probably around the 2nd week after the draft closed. I'm not sure what the title is on the other thread, if you can do a "control + find" to locate the word FTP, you would probably be able to locate that thread.

THESE MAY BE OUT OF ORDER, AND MAY BE FROM DIFFERENT THREADS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naming Files and Submission Formats

This is a post I made over in Collaboration Corner, but I thing for security reasons, we need to go private when discussing exactly what ID tracking system we will go with when uploading files.

I think that we should all gear towards using the group FTP directory that I created. I believe you all received an email with the specifics. Wrave suggested a format that we could use that would help to keep things more organized.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It might be a good idea to come up with a file naming format for our file transfers. Maybe something like...

WBS101.mp3 or WBS201.wav

Where...

W = WRAVE

B = BASS (or what ever instrument, S = SYNTH, etc.)

S1 = song number one (S2 if we're trying to do two)

01 = take #1

Just some thoughts that might help make it a bit easier to track what's going on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could work out well and keep things in one central location. I will move all files into the group directory so that all can access what has been uploaded so far without confusion.

Do you all understand and agree with the format that Wrave has suggested?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that that particular format is going to end up being confusing - DGS102, WVS105...it's gonna start getting weird quick.

Numbering the song isn't necessary - just make a different subdirectory in the FTP directory for each song, if we start doing multiple songs.

I would suggest that, if this is going to be the case, then perhaps maintaining a text file (or a thread) with the appropriate names and any pertinent details, i.e. RG could be Rhythm Guitar, but maybe there's Strat/LP/Acoustic/Danelectro/etc etc. So maybe an entry like:

FRG02.wav - Fputer, Rhythm Gtr take 2 - Strat, clean setting, no FX

FRG03.wav - Fputer, Rhythm Gtr take 3 - PRS, tweed amp, Echo on bridge

would be more useful?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris,

I'm really new to the FTP transferring of files; I've always just used my FrontPage for web designing. Wrave stated that he had been using FTP for 20 years, and it appears that StrongBad is well informed about FTP access. If it's possible to set up folders inside of the FTP directory, that would also be an idea to help keep things organized.

Wrave, StrongBad, is it possible to establish directories that are accessible at the time of upload through FTP access. I know that I would be able to create a subfolder inside of the folder from inside of my FrontPage, but can we upload directly into a subfolder from the FTP site?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, Anifa, it shouldn't be a problem at all. It's just the same as making new folders on your PC - as long as write access is enabled then it will work.

Actually, I just did it. Look for a folder called Song_1, and you will see a small picture that I sent as a test. :shock:

-------------------------------------------------------

<>

Which directory are you looking in ... are you seeking in "community" for the content? I was searching through several different directories to even find anything that even remotely looked like any of the text. Also, I was looking at the cpanel today and noticed that the "forum" directory no longer existed. Was it necessary to delete this folder to enable installation of the new one?
The posts from the old forum are not stored in the forum directory, there is a database that you have on HASweb called "My SQL database." All of the information about the forum members and the text for all posts is in this database, and it is seperate from the "public_html/forum" folders.

I may not know exactly what I'm doing here, but trust me for another week or so. The old posts are still there.

I have uploaded some song lyrics into the lyric folder located in the FTP site. To save time on having to access the FTP site, or trying to log in at the same time as someone else, I also created web pages accessible by the following links:

links have been PM'd to Ani, not sure if I should post them here {Brakka}

Chris created a folder for Song_1, and after he showed me it was possible to add folders, I created a folder for lyrics and lumped all of our original submissions of songs for the draft into a player_samples folder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I think Steve is right, my suggestions for naming conventions could get confusing. I'm still kinda old fashioned in that I started computing back in the days of DOS and the 8.3 filename restrictions. But using separate directories for the songs eliminates a big problem by keeping the two apart so that we know what belongs where. I do wonder if we will experience problems with different takes? And is it important in an instance where we have, for example, three flute players, and each of us it contributing a track to to denote them by the originator's name? This kind of stuff will probably work itself out when we begin assembling tracks.

Coud I possibly be any more anal????

:roll:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anifa, I forgot to respond to your question about uploading directly to a subdirectory off of the original FTP "fantasy" folder.

Not a problem. As a command line user, I'd issue the FTP "cd" (change directory) command to move into the subfolder I wanted and then proceed as usual.

Seems like with a GUI it ought to be even easier. I'm going to get a copy of that WU-FTP and try it out to see how it functions.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Music File Formats

I guess a lot of you guys weren't in on the initial discussions of forming the general formatting procedures while guidelines were being assemble for the Fantasy League; the file formats were agreed to be in .mp3 format or, during the final process due to it's size, .wav format. These are the two most common formats that most everyone has access to opening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's [i:32060d33c3]not [/i:32060d33c3]anal to be able to identify any file/sound fragment, it's essential...

Couldn't we just "call em as you hear em":

- Frank Gm whistle CHORUS T2 - [for "Take 2"]

- Dan choppy strings L-R bridge T1 - [L-R refers to stereo files]

That way you don't have to decode/think about what each thing is,

you can just read it...

Even if everything is in it's own folder,

it would still be important to identify each file 'by sight'...

I know that certain characters can't be used,

but is there a limit to the length of a file name...?

Bob, there is a limit to the file name length but it's pretty big...I am thinking around 255 characters. It can be a frustrating to have to type in a really long file name if you use a command line FTP program. Make a mistake somewhere and get a "File not found" error and then you have to retype the whole thing.

Another thing that can be frustrating is the use of blank spaces in file names. I know nothing about Macs (Surely we have some Mac users aboard?) so I'm not sure if it's any problem to deal with blanks on that platform. I know ChrisK likes to use Linux and he would have to enclose long names with blank spaces embedded in them in quotes. For that reason I encourage my computer users at work to use the underscore character or the hyphen. So instead of...

"A Very Long File Name.mp3"

we'd have...

A_Very_Long_File_Name.mp3

Since the fonts we use on our computers vary according to taste and they can be either proportional or fixed and it's kinda easy to include an extra space in a name and seeing a character that's not there (space " ") has made me kinda bonkers in the past, I'll be using the underscore and no spaces in my file names.

I grabbed the WU_FTP for Windows program that Steve had a link to and it's really nice to us since it's just click and drag.

I also have grabbed the "Shorten" program talked about in the "File Compression" thread at MusicPlayer because while the mp3s are a compressed format and suitable for us to use in the early stages of compiling a song, they are a "lossy" format. We will want to use the best lossless format (.wav) possible when it comes time to supply the finished work for mixing and mastering and Shorten does that. It can compress a .wav file into about half the size for uploads and downloads. Of course, the recipient will need a copy to decompress the .wav file.

Ummm, I don't have the address handy for that but if Ani would want, I could put WU_FTP and Shorten on the FTP site for anyone that needed them to download.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm, I don't have the address handy for that but if Ani would want, I could put WU_FTP and Shorten on the FTP site for anyone that needed them to download.[/quote:5bc92c6e3c]

That would be fine Wrave, I may attempt to download the Shorten file again. The last time I attempted to download it, I got slammed with a virus and had to reformat my hard drive. I disabled my Norton Anti-Virus during the download so that no important files were lost, and during the course of the time I had my anti-virus disable, my system was vunerable to attack.

When I checked the Symantic web site, I learned that the latest virus had a way of attaching itself to music files such as Kazaa and when I spoke directly with Symantic, they said Shorten had not been reported yet, but could very likely be a candidate for the virus. I abated the interest in using Shorten after that. I don't know if the file would remain in tact with Norton enabled, but it's worth a shot. Norton has a thing for isolating .exe and some music file extensions.

I have already downloaded and have begun using the WU_FTP file that Steve provided. It is much easier and is more accessible than the other way.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone.

I had downloaded a couple of samples from the FTP site and they wouldn't play. Don't know if anyone else had the same problem.

My feeling is that they may have been uploaded using the wrong file transfer type. There are two types of transfer in FTPing files. One is ASCII which is suitable for TEXT files only. Text files are those created with a plain vanilla text editor like Microsoft Notepad. Text files are NOT Microsoft Word files, or much of anything else although I think RTF (rich text) files can also be transfered this way.

As far as any audio files are concerned, you need to specify that these are transfered as BINARY (or Image) files. This is true for any compiled program such as the WU_FTP program.

Using WU_FTP makes it simple. In the window right beneith the files list areas, you will see three radio button controls. You can select ASCII (for plain text files), BINARY (for audio files and programs and ZIPPED/compressed files) or you can take a chance with the AUTO check box. Most of the time the AUTO function will determine the file transfer type automagically. If there are problems after using AUTO, you may have to determine the file type using a hit or miss method.

Hope this helps.

<>

Sorry about the itallics, I'll skip that for the rest of the posts.

Wrave,

The last music file I uploaded was in using the Ws_ftp method. I don't know if it was my file that you tried to access, but I replaced the mp3 by drop and drag into the ftp.

Earlier Steve had uploaded a file with an .sfk extension, but has since replaced the file with .mp3 format. Let me know if you have further difficulties in opening any files that I upload.

Thanks,

Anifa

All in favor of a shorter password to access the FTP site, SAY AYE!!!

Anyone that attempted to access the FTP site this morning that had complications and was denied access; my official site's server had an OCDB (? correct acronym) go down that was having to be reset.

It's a rare occasion that this happens and usually only takes a few minutes to remedy if they are aware of the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience; the site was down for about 10 minutes... while "I" was trying to access it. :?

As far as these forums that we're set up on and Brakka is set up on with his; Brakka said that he has experienced times where the forums come up as showing "Page not found" when trying to access them. Some sort of glitch in the server's platform, according to Lee Flyer.

I've noticed that accessing the forum sometimes takes time to load; which is a pet peeve of mine.... but, any other suggestions? I do have the capability of setting up a MS forum, but they are nothing compared to the php based forums. Much harder to keep content together.

Hey evvybody,

Once things start cookin' around here,

you could help me by sending your WAV files

to me as you finish your tracks that you intend to include...

That way I can mix as we go, in increments,

and not be inundated toward the end of the project...

We [i:80236d7df7]can[/i:80236d7df7] FTP these WAV files back and forth, right...?

If for some reason not, we can snail mail CD-Rs...

With all that in mind:

My hard disc recorder {Tascam MX-2424}

cannot import stereo interleaved files...

If you are creating stereo tracks, could you please

separate them and name them with an L or an R...?

This project will be at 24-bit/44.1K,

but you could also send in 16/44.1K files...

Also, make sure they all 'start' at the count-in,

[record & include any silence necessary before the actual sound is heard]...

BTW, Dan, SBad or anyone that creates the "foundation" track(s),

please include a click/count-in for this syncing purpose...

Thanks,

Bob

I have put the WS_FTP (ws_ftp_tuc.exe) and the Shorten (wsh23b32.EXE) programs for Win32 on the FTP site, into a directory I named "utilities". I checked both of these for viruses and they checked clean. I had asked if anyone on our team uses Macs because Shorten is available for Macs but I did not pick the program up yet. If anyone needs it, I can get it for you.

Hi Bob!

I just put two utility files (WU_FTP and Shorten) into a "utilities" directory at the FTP site. WU_FTP is a neat program that makes uploading and downloading files pretty easy. If you have any difficulties, I live in Wabash and would gladly come into the Fort and give you a hand. I'd like to meet you anyway.

What do you think about someone creating a click track and putting it out first as a guide for any of us that are building additional tracks for a song? It would help us all to be in tempo.

Another thing that's important is the Key of our songs. Once we've got that, with tempo and key, we can all be on the same page.

I've been thinking and some of you guys are probably into loops and such. That means the key and tempo can be somewhat flexible but I think, for Anifa and me and maybe others, we're gonna be just straight recording our parts and may not be as flexible. Of course, if we have one of Anifa's vocal arraingements, we do need to follow the "feel" that she had in mind for her lyrics.

What I normally do when I am recording is to create a click track. Once I record that, I always leave a two measure click in before I lay down any other tracks.

If one person could just lay down a four or five minute click track (or however long is needed) then we wouldn't have to worry about possible individual differences from machine to machine. We'd all be playing to the same click track.

Is this making any sense to you guys (and lady)?

I know its a hassle, but it would make my life easier if the final tracks were uploaded as 24 bit 44-1 wave or aiff or sd11 files. I hate the way mp3s sound. they are ok for reference mixes and such but not for final tracks, PLEASE!

Brett

RED ALERT on uploads

RED ALERT - maximum disk space is limited for hosting .wav files! Please do not abuse this as it will be EXTREMELY costly for me in penalty fees.[/color:a6c5121d07][/size:a6c5121d07]

The MAXIMUM .wav files that can be stored at any one time simultaneously is 2 (TWO)

This means that we are going to have to use ONLY .mp3 files during the rough drafting process that can be hosted in the FTP for project building. When it comes time for the final mixes to be transferred; we will have to upload [b:a6c5121d07]no more [/b:a6c5121d07]than two .wav files at a time.

We are going to have to sychronize this so that a .wav file can be uploaded to reach Bob and/or Brett, but someone will need to remove the previous finals prior to uploading the next. [/size:a6c5121d07]

I do have 500 MB of site space on this server that I have our forum set up on, but when I went to access the panels, everything was greek to me. Brakka was able to access the Admin pages and get this forum up and running, whereas, I was never able to view the pages he was speaking of.

If Wrave, Steve, or Chris are familiar with working these type (Linux based servers) perhaps I could give them access to admin to get FTP going on this site; it would allow a little more space to breathe.

I have just viewed my disk space allotment on my official web site, where I'm hosting the FTP space, and all information that I have provided to any of you about how many .wav files can be stored at one time is null and void.

The original tech support gentleman that I spoke with when planning to use the FTP transfer for this project had told me that my available web space would allow as many as 50 .wav files. I specifically made sure that he understood the difference in file size between .mp3 and .wav and he still said we could store up to 50. :?

Just out of curiousity, tonight I checked my Site Utilities Panel and looked at my available web space. I had 10 MB available. I knew that there were only two .wav files that had been submitted, so I checked my log files and daily disk usage rates. The dates on where the massive jump occurred in my disk usage, and the time where my MB jumped nearly 100 MB (1/3 of my total disk space), happened the day I uploaded the two .wav files for Bob to check them for sound quality or loss thereof.

When I called Tech Support tonight, the Tech told me that for each 1,000kb, a MB of disk space is taken up. With .wav files weighing in between 31,000kb to 45,000kb each; the two .wav files nearly capped me out on disk space. I removed both sample .wav files to allow the space to upload finals.

To keep things under control, when we upload newer versions of rough tracks; if everyone can download them and store them to disk, the older versions can be removed as new ones are added.

My transfer rate is entirely different, for moving files back and forth, I have 10 GB of transfer space. This leaves a little more breathing room.

I will need to keep a very close eye on this, because I'm on a tight budget and don't need the extra expense involved. Please respect this!

Thanks Guys!!!

If any of you FTP experts want to talk about the space available on this server, don't hesitate to step forward.

Is the info you need here? I can search more later. This was through the first 200 posts, just the ones that were ftp-related.

Brakka,

Truly another big thanks for all your help on this. I have located the database and most of the critical information relative to file submission formats and FTP transfer takes place in the 1st 7 pages.

I will begin posting relevant posts also...

Hi everyone.

I had downloaded a couple of samples from the FTP site and they wouldn't play. Don't know if anyone else had the same problem.

My feeling is that they may have been uploaded using the wrong file transfer type. There are two types of transfer in FTPing files. One is ASCII which is suitable for TEXT files only. Text files are those created with a plain vanilla text editor like Microsoft Notepad. Text files are NOT Microsoft Word files, or much of anything else although I think RTF (rich text) files can also be transfered this way.

As far as any audio files are concerned, you need to specify that these are transfered as BINARY (or Image) files. This is true for any compiled program such as the WU_FTP program.

Using WU_FTP makes it simple. In the window right beneith the files list areas, you will see three radio button controls. You can select ASCII (for plain text files), BINARY (for audio files and programs and ZIPPED/compressed files) or you can take a chance with the AUTO check box. Most of the time the AUTO function will determine the file transfer type automagically. If there are problems after using AUTO, you may have to determine the file type using a hit or miss method.

Hope this helps.

Wrave,

The last music file I uploaded was in using the Ws_ftp method. I don't know if it was my file that you tried to access, but I replaced the mp3 by drop and drag into the ftp.

Earlier Steve had uploaded a file with an .sfk extension, but has since replaced the file with .mp3 format. Let me know if you have further difficulties in opening any files that I upload.

Thanks,

Anifa

Hey evvybody,

Once things start cookin' around here,

you could help me by sending your WAV files

to me as you finish your tracks that you intend to include...

That way I can mix as we go, in increments,

and not be inundated toward the end of the project...

We [i:80236d7df7]can[/i:80236d7df7] FTP these WAV files back and forth, right...?

If for some reason not, we can snail mail CD-Rs...

With all that in mind:

My hard disc recorder {Tascam MX-2424}

cannot import stereo interleaved files...

If you are creating stereo tracks, could you please

separate them and name them with an L or an R...?

This project will be at 24-bit/44.1K,

but you could also send in 16/44.1K files...

Also, make sure they all 'start' at the count-in,

[record & include any silence necessary before the actual sound is heard]...

BTW, Dan, SBad or anyone that creates the "foundation" track(s),

please include a click/count-in for this syncing purpose...

Thanks,

Bob

I have put the WS_FTP (ws_ftp_tuc.exe) and the Shorten (wsh23b32.EXE) programs for Win32 on the FTP site, into a directory I named "utilities". I checked both of these for viruses and they checked clean. I had asked if anyone on our team uses Macs because Shorten is available for Macs but I did not pick the program up yet. If anyone needs it, I can get it for you.
Hi Bob!

I just put two utility files (WU_FTP and Shorten) into a "utilities" directory at the FTP site. WU_FTP is a neat program that makes uploading and downloading files pretty easy. If you have any difficulties, I live in Wabash and would gladly come into the Fort and give you a hand. I'd like to meet you anyway.

What do you think about someone creating a click track and putting it out first as a guide for any of us that are building additional tracks for a song? It would help us all to be in tempo.

Another thing that's important is the Key of our songs. Once we've got that, with tempo and key, we can all be on the same page.

I've been thinking and some of you guys are probably into loops and such. That means the key and tempo can be somewhat flexible but I think, for Anifa and me and maybe others, we're gonna be just straight recording our parts and may not be as flexible. Of course, if we have one of Anifa's vocal arraingements, we do need to follow the "feel" that she had in mind for her lyrics.

What I normally do when I am recording is to create a click track. Once I record that, I always leave a two measure click in before I lay down any other tracks.

If one person could just lay down a four or five minute click track (or however long is needed) then we wouldn't have to worry about possible individual differences from machine to machine. We'd all be playing to the same click track.

Is this making any sense to you guys (and lady)?

Re a click...I usually set up a count-in click, which could be put in front of the drums/rhythm/whatever comes first track. I usually do 2 bars, with the last 2 beats silent:

| x x x x | x x _ _ | track start

That way, you get a hole to clip off the count-in later.

Just my 0.02

I know its a hassle, but it would make my life easier if the final tracks were uploaded as 24 bit 44-1 wave or aiff or sd11 files. I hate the way mp3s sound. they are ok for reference mixes and such but not for final tracks, PLEASE!

Brett

I agree with Brett on the format when we begin submitting for final mixes. Mp3s are OK for swapping ideas and rough mixes but we need the highest quality we can all record at when it comes tracks for the final mixes.

I can record at 24 bit 44.1 (or even 48 kbps). Can everyone else get 24/44.1?

Hi Folks,

To summarize/clarify:

The project IS in 24/44.1 ...

You can submit your tracks to me for final mixing as 24/44.1 ... or 16/44.1 ...

If your files are interleaved stereo,

please separate them into their respective L-R mono files before submitting...

MP3s can be used to up/download 'working tracks', if desired...

The final mixes will be supplied to the CC forum as RedBook [16/44.1] ...

RED ALERT on Uploads (as posted above by Brakka)
Yet another reason to use something like Shorten - by compressing the files you will have much more headroom.

If things get tight, I can do some file tranfers via my web service.

Yes, .wavs are massive. According to my Digi001 manuals, one sterio track, 5 minutes in length at 24/44.1 requires 75 MB of hard drive storage space.

Ani, I'd be willing to chip in a little $ to increase your FTP space and help keep it going during the project. Will your provider allow you to do this on a temporary basis?

I will also remind everyone about the "Shorten" utility I put in the "Utilities" directory. Although I haven't really tested it, the documentation states it can reduce a .wav file to about half it's uncompressed size. That would reduce the size of the file example above to about 37 MB. This is purported to be a "lossless" compression scheme so once the file is expanded there ought to be no effect on the original file.

As far as "administering" a Linux FTP site Ani, sounds like you have some excellent tools available from your provider. They have determined the amount of storage space available for you and there's no way to alter that other than sending them more $.

Another point there, wrave - 16 bit wav is smaller than 24 bit wav, by a little more than 1/3. According to my calculations, an uncompressed 5 minute stereo file at 24 bit is around 77 Mb, whereas the same file at 16 bit is about 51 Mb.

Maybe we should stick to 16 bit?

Using Shorten on a *.wav file reduced it's size from 8,706 KB to 3,424 KB. I listened to both files before and after compressing and restoring and could not tell any difference. Time required to compress/uncompress was almost instantaneous but this was a very small file.

Brett and Bob, could you guys grab a copy of the Shorten program from the FTP Utilities directory and give us your more experienced opinions?

I'm using the FTP transfer program and getting along fine with it, but I'm not sure what the Shorten program is all about and how to work it... and if it's working or not. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it........
We used Shorten, very successfully, in the SSS/GT3 mix project

{several months back on Craig Anderton's forum}...

I thought it was very easy to use,

and it didn't appear to affect the final 'sonics'...

24/44.1 files work the best for me in the mix and mastering stages...

If this FTP thing won't really be the best way to move these 24bit WAV files,

we can always use CDs & snailmail...

The FTP works very well for the MP3 samples and 'work tracks' though, it seems...

Here's a link to a free program called Audacity. It's a nice program - I use it all the time. There is also a link on the same page to the LAME MP3 Encoder library - with this, Audacity can create MP3s.

There's also a [urlhttp://audacity.sourceforge.net/beta.php?lang=en]beta version,[/url] which has some additional features. I have both, myself, and the beta seems to be pretty good too. 8)

Anifa, I sure hope it turns out nothing serious. I am sure we'll all be thinking of you.

I've been working on a NA flute part to lay over Dan's last upload. I should have something a bit later this week to put on the FTP site.

Since we are cramped for space, I'll announce the upload and Bob and Brett can grab copies. I'll upload my stuff as 16bit/44.1Khz files that have been "Shortened". Once you have copies guys, go ahead and delete the file from the FTP site. You may need to make sure each other has the file before deleting. I'll have the original on my machine, of course, in case it falls through the cracks.

Steve and Chris, we probably need to handle your contributions in a similar way. If Bob and Brett are going to both be doing mixes, they can add any instrumental parts of their own too and I guess you two will need to make sure each other has copies of your instrumental parts.

I'll post on the uploads message when I get my flute track done. It'll be raw flute, no eq, no verb, no nothing. I think this is what mixers and masterers usually want, isn't it?

I was just thinking too that if Ani and DanS are gonna be busy the rest of us may need to pick up their weight a bit. We have about two more months to have our two tunes ready for submission to the CC project. Anybody thinking about a 2nd tune?

And again, people can submit mono WAV files to me either as 24/44.1 or 16/44.1...

Either via the FTP site or by mail on CD...

Bob

As I´m on a mac pt/analog this is fine by me too.

Be aware,since my studio is in Madrid, Spain, snail-mail takes on a whole new meaning.

Brett

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! I worked International mails for four years and indeed the time frame on the best service is nothing compared to domestic delivery standards. Two weeks is considered to be GREAT service, considering the fact that parcel and small article packages are required to clear customs. Also, keeping in mind that many customs agencies X-RAY packages, the beams could demagnetize recorded material rendering it inoperable.

I think that it's best for us to work out some sort of FTP transfer for swapping files with Mixter.... :wink:

I'll defend the Post Office where need be, but I'll also acknowledge where their weaknesses are; and in International deliveries, the USPS has no control of delivery once the packages leave our borders. It's a standard in ALL International Mails... America uses extreme scrutiny on the receipt of International packages now that the Terrorist attacks have happened.

This sounds good to me. Sounds like everybody is able to move files via FTP and without a doubt that's the best way to handle transfers. We can all work with the 16 or 24 bit/44.1 Mhz files and they are acceptable to the Mix/Masters.

Ani, what do you think about cleaning up the FTP site. Since we are going to be needing all the space we can get, maybe we ought to clear out the extraneous files we have in it now. At this point, all we need is a couple of directories. One for HATM with Dan's background for that song and your lyrics in it and one for song 2 also with Dan's rhythm tracks in it. We also might hang onto the Utilities directory for the time being as I am not sure that Steve has picked up copies of them.

Ani and Brett, since I think you two are the only Mac users, there is a site to pickup shorten for the Mac at http://www.hornig.net/shorten/

I would download for you guys but there are three or four different versions depending on the type of Mac you are using so I guess it'll be best for you grab them for yourselves.

I should have the flute part I've come up with done by this time next week, possibly sooner.

See ya...

Alright... Above was some of the critical text that contained lots of information.

I've just now had a chance to sit down and thoroughly review this database. Those that I have posted are in chronological order.

Brakka,

My nephew, who is an engineer and web developer by profession took a look at the cpanel tonight. He had me back-up the content both in .sql format and another called CSV..... "DON'T ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS" We made sure that the back-up files secured the information, and then he attempted several different approaches in reinstalling the database.

We were able to get the forum "install" page to present itself online, but each time we attempted to select the database to install; we received error messages stating that no databases existed.

In the sqlDB there are clearly two existing forums, both the NUKE and MXB1, through the bulletin board... there are now 5 attempts at creating new bases displayed (4 under forum and 1 under soma)

But, under the phpMyAdmin section.... MySQL >>> Databases; where you see nuke and mxb1 listed... if you look beneath the Tab labeled Processes, it shows that there are no databases installed.

ID User Host Database Command Time Status SQL-query

Kill 38011 anifa localhost None Query 0 --- SHOW PROCESSLIST

My nephew writes php scripting among several other scripts, and said that there was definitely a glitch in the program. He attempted 3 or 4 different approaches to upload, even some to override current scripting.... then he got a "HACKER" error when he went to address some of the lines specified in error messages.

He suggested that the best thing to do would be to contact Hasweb and have them reset the forum as if I were a new client for the first time, and then reload the saved forum.

I told him that you had been helping me quite a bit...

Anyway, I really, really, really, appreciate all the help that you've been giving here.... We can talk more about it in private. I you want to send your phone number via PM, I'll call you on my dime. I noticed that you were mentioning days off above; enjoy your days off and don't worry about us.... the forum here is working okay. I appreciate all of you help so far, and that which is to come in every aspect of the Fantasy League project. If there's anything I can do to help you or your team, just hollar. I'd be obliged to help a sweetheart. Thanks.

Archived