Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

b_3guy's Team

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ibescotty:

Sent, let me know if there are any problems.

Got em! You've got a great voice!!! I'll see what I can do, I got to do some real work first, but I should have something in 4-5 hours.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Hey Addix, I need more to the song. Is there a longer version? What we have sounds great so far. Maybe a change or two. It's only 1 minute and 43 seconds right now. Maybe just extend it out to 3 minutes and see what happens. I don't know. What does everyone else think?

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Hey Addix, I need more to the song. Is there a longer version? What we have sounds great so far. Maybe a change or two. It's only 1 minute and 43 seconds right now. Maybe just extend it out to 3 minutes and see what happens. I don't know. What does everyone else think?

Agreed. :thu:

Steve

Well I can't create what you have there and I couldn't come close. So the main gist of the song shifts between C and B I think. Add something to that but keep a reoccuring theme throughout. Maybe leaving the C and B as the theme through out. Heck even just switching tween the piano parts and the synth part is a re-occuring theme. I just need more to work with to come up with a vocal.

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

It most definitely needs a change. That's where I was hoping the collaboration would come in... I can't think of one.

If you want save your file as a Reason 2.0 file & email it to me.

Steve

Originally posted by cg1155:

Just listened to the mix sans back-up vocals -- very nice. I'll get some more stuff up as I have time. When's the deadline?

Sept. 1

Steve

Steve? Were you able to use the .rns?

Sorry Jake, I didn't try it yet. Got distracted by some real work. I was thinking I'd have to install 2.5, but I think I'll try just opening it in 2.0

Steve

It's not gonna work in 2.0... I've tried that with Gus and Nursers in the past.

Thanks, for the info. We have to go down enough blind alleys in life.

Steve

I've completed retake of the bass line for this. It exists exactly as the last one but hopefully better. I used the P-Bass this time. It has more growl to it then the Steinberger. I also think I got rid of the cliiping that I had on the other take. Pick what you like or the best of both or not at all.

Enjoy!!

It should be in your email B_3guy

quote:

Originally posted by b_3guy:

OK guys, here's a new mix of Paul's tune & just for fun, I left the old one up, just to compare the two.

http://homepage.mac.com/b3guy1/FileSharing1.html

Well? . . .

After listening to this mix last night, here's my take - good, bad & ugly:

Disclaimer: I tend to be extremely critical of the stuff that I do and try to be as objective as possible. My opinions are just my opinions and in no way meant to offend so I hope nobody takes it the wrong way. My intent is to make the song sound as good as possible.

Drums:

Tone: I love the kick sound but the snare sounds contrived and missing decay - like an old drum machine.

Performance: Given my dislike of the snare sound, I think it would sound better during the intro riff to have either no drums at all or just the kick. The drums dound OK during the riff but IMO, during the verse, they sound a bit too stacatto and unnatural (yes, I'm an acoustic drums bigot) and don't maintain a rolling groove. I'd either use a different beat or add another rhythm instrument (that acoustic guitar part with its tonal aspects rolled back might work?).

Background vocals:

Great voice! Might want to consider doing the lead part (no, I wouldn't be offended). I like the "give me" parts but the "Whoooaa" parts don't seem to fit. It's probably my out-of-tune-ness but again, it sounds contrived and just not right to me. The "evil" part is kinda cool the way everything else drops out around it but that break sounds like it was done with a dull knife. It needs to smoothed out somehow at the edges so it's on the beat.

Horns:

At first, I really liked but after listening for a while, I think they might be a bit too prominent and overdone. I don't know, but it seems with the horns, the tune is trying too hard to be Chicago or BS&T without hitting either mark.

B3:

Awseome!

Clav:

Great, very nice and subtle.

Bass:

I like the line a lot and don't really get a sense of clipping but if ibescotty wants to re-do with a P-bass, that sounds great to me too.

Lead vocals:

Personally, I think my own vocal performance sucks. If possible, I'd like to do it again. If we're stuck using what's there, I'd like to hear it soaked up a bit with some reverb, maybe delay and more emphasis on the low mids.

Lead guitar:

Nice job moving the parts around. I realize that this is still a preliminary mix but the tone seems to have lost some of its vocal qualities. It sounds too middy and dry to me.

Overall:

A lot of cool and interesting parts and sounds that I never would have thought of. This is a lot of fun and I think it's going somewhere.

Again with the disclaimer: Please take no offense. I'm just giving my impressions.

On another note, what's going on with Addix' tune? I'd love to lay down some guitar but would like to have some kind of groove to work with. Anybody do anything with this yet? Any ideas?

Addix's tune sounds great but we need more. It's only 1 minute and 45 seconds long. Just when I start to go somewhere with it in my head it stops. Maybe just loop it and leave it how it is so that it's over 3 minutes long or something.

Scott

Wow! That song sure has come a long way from Paul's acoustic thing.

The only thing I can think to do is raise the highs on the cymbals a tiny bit, but that's probably just a personal preference.

This is really cool...

Do mine! Do mine!

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Drums:

Tone: I love the kick sound but the snare sounds contrived and missing decay - like an old drum machine.

Performance: Given my dislike of the snare sound, I think it would sound better during the intro riff to have either no drums at all or just the kick. The drums dound OK during the riff but IMO, during the verse, they sound a bit too stacatto and unnatural (yes, I'm an acoustic drums bigot) and don't maintain a rolling groove. I'd either use a different beat or add another rhythm instrument (that acoustic guitar part with its tonal aspects rolled back might work?).

[/QB]

Gus did mention the snare is dry & I did have a thought adding a little reverb to it. I could do that to add something to it. I'm not sure what the source of the drums or how the drums were created & I agree it does sound like an old drum machine, which is cool in a way. I also prefer acoustic drum sounds, maybe this is cool in a retro kind of way. I hesitate to adjust Gus' stuff without his say so. He's away on a trip for the next couple of weeks. I'll try to email him to see if I get a response. There was a bit of a problem with Paul doing his new tracks with his own loop, (Gus set up his drum tracks against your acoustic version) but I got them married up so that it works.

I'd either use a different beat or add another rhythm instrument (that acoustic guitar part with its tonal aspects rolled back might work?).

[/QB]

To be honest I haven't even investigated the acoustic part. Most of you guys aren't aware of how much trouble I had lining up the tracks so that they were locked & I didn't want to go through that with another track, so I kind of ignored it. I'll check it out.

Background vocals:

Great voice! Might want to consider doing the lead part (no, I wouldn't be offended). I like the "give me" parts but the "Whoooaa" parts don't seem to fit. It's probably my out-of-tune-ness but again, it sounds contrived and just not right to me. The "evil" part is kinda cool the way everything else drops out around it but that break sounds like it was done with a dull knife. It needs to smoothed out somehow at the edges so it's on the beat.

[/QB]

I'm not sure what part you mean by the "Whoooaa". What part of the chorus? I kind of added the Evil part at the last minute, I had almost forgotten it. I never took notice of it's placement on the beat. I just made sure it didn't cover the lead vocal line. The break was perhaps a little rough. There was a horn line there that I just cut away.

Horns:

At first, I really liked but after listening for a while, I think they might be a bit too prominent and overdone. I don't know, but it seems with the horns, the tune is trying too hard to be Chicago or BS&T without hitting either mark.

[/QB]

Hey, first day with my new toy. I think I need more direction or I could just remove them.

B3:

Awseome!

Clav:

Great, very nice and subtle.

[/QB]

Good job by Casey.

Lead vocals:

Personally, I think my own vocal performance sucks. If possible, I'd like to do it again. If we're stuck using what's there, I'd like to hear it soaked up a bit with some reverb, maybe delay and more emphasis on the low mids.

[/QB]

Most singers seem to hate their voice. I hesitate putting on more reverb. Heavy reverb is out of style. A delay might be OK, I could investigate that. I also hesitate on the low mids thing, I think it will just muddy it up,but I could investigate that.

I always look at vocalist in a very interpretive way. Who am I to argue about pitch, tone quality, range, etc. when we have such successful artists like Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger. You're vocals are fine, I wish I could sing that well. If you want to do them again. . . or let Scott do them . . . , but I don't think that's required.

Lead guitar:

Nice job moving the parts around. I realize that this is still a preliminary mix but the tone seems to have lost some of its vocal qualities. It sounds too middy and dry to me.

[/QB]

I hesitate to adjust someone's tone. I thought Casey's Hammond stuff needed EQ to boost the highs, but I thought it might be his intention for the Hammond to sound that way, so I left it. The guitar tone could be OK, it's competing with other parts, so it might sound a little muddy, here & there. The lead solo I think has to come up in volume, also it's struggling in a couple of other places to cut thru. The mix, at this point, is without any automation, so a track is the same volume thru out the entire tune. The guitar also had reverb on it when it was recorded, so I didn't put anymore on. Again I hesitate putting more reverb on it because of my reason above & adding reverb will push them further back in the mix.

I didn't hesitate to move your guitar parts around because you said you purposely overplayed & didn't expect to every lick stay. I had a really hard time deciding what to do because every lick is strong, so I really couldn't eliminate some because they were sloppy, etc., but to allow room for something else, I put the 2nd verse licks at the end of the outro & they kind of fit because different tracks are dropping out at this point.

Overall:

A lot of cool and interesting parts and sounds that I never would have thought of. This is a lot of fun and I think it's going somewhere.

Again with the disclaimer: Please take no offense. I'm just giving my impressions.

[/QB]

The tune has come along way & sounds great. Good songs have a habit of coming together & this is some good talent putting together some great stuff. Everyone has put a lot of time & effort into the track & I purposely have not mucked about with people's tracks, just worked them. I figure if someone went to the trouble to play or sing something, it will be included, worts & all, some way, & some how. My apologies for leaving out the acoustic track, I just couldn't bear trying to line up another track. I'll check it out.

:thu::thu::thu: Good job, everyone!!!

Steve

In the backrounds I'm actually singing "Words" to sort of copy cat the lead vocals. No biggy though. Use what you want.

The Evil placement isn't bad at all. It's just what I envisioned. I didn't actually know weather it would get used at all I just thought it would be fun.

Use what you like. I sent in that new bass track, let me know if you got it. You don't have to use it but I think I remember us discussing it so I redid it.

Great job everyone!! :D

In the backrounds I'm actually singing "Words" to sort of copy cat the lead vocals. No biggy though. Use what you want.

The Evil placement isn't bad at all. It's just what I envisioned. I didn't actually know weather it would get used at all I just thought it would be fun.

Use what you like. I sent in that new bass track, let me know if you got it. You don't have to use it but I think I remember us discussing it so I redid it.

Great job everyone!! :D

I like the backgroung vocals & I'm glad you like the treatment of the evil. Like the "harmony" I added? I got the new bass track. I'll drop it in.

Steve

Addix's tune sounds great but we need more. It's only 1 minute and 45 seconds long. Just when I start to go somewhere with it in my head it stops. Maybe just loop it and leave it how it is so that it's over 3 minutes long or something.

Scott

I've got a copy of the Reason file from Addix. Trouble is it's V2.5 & I have only 2.0. I do a copy of 2.5, so I have to install it & give it go. Hopefully I can flesh it out.

Steve

Archived