Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rosh Hashanah

[quote]First off, there isnt any confirmation whatsoever in Judaism. Never even heard of the concept as it applies to jews.[/quote] I certainly don't know as much as you, but I know my for sure that my wife, her sister and her our niece were confirmed. They were brought up "Reform", so maybe that's the difference. Hey Dave Bryce - "Well, you've heard of it now. I was confirmed at Temple Keneseth Israel in Jenkintown, PA by Rabbi Bert Korn." What a blast from the past! Rabbi Korn married my wife and me at KI back in 72.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b][b] Cool! A rabbi/musician! I'd be very interested to hear some of your stuff! Seriously - no sarcasm intended. This message has been edited by Dave Bryce on 09-23-2001 at 10:27 PM [/b][/quote] Hey Dave,it's funny because you may think that a "rabbi" would be recording like klezmer and stuff like that, but i actually do my fare share of mainstream rock, pop, and other contemporary stuff. In fact a girl group that we are working with just got signed to Epic and is being featured on the Jenny Jones show! Suffice it to say, their lyrics or dress would not be accepted in synagogue [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] but hey, business is business- ya gotta pay the bills! This is not to say i dont do jewish stuff- i've had my fare share of lame bar mitzvah parties and weddings to gig at. the weddings are actually cool bcuz in my area (NYC and surroundings) the musicians I gig with do Broadway daytime, and weddings at night, so i get to hone my chops with NY's finest. I actually do have some very interesting stuff as pertains to jewish music recordings...for example- a rabbi with a long beard doing jewish covers of Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, Deep Purple.....; Jewish trance (!!!)...; live recordings from a band who play in Israel in front of the tomb of King David (Yikes!!!)... just wild stuff man. i spent two years in Israel doing field recording for a variety of crazy projects too. So.... what do you do? The Rockin' Rabbi - Sruly.

I think it would be wise to remember that regardless of our individual philosophical or religious or spiritual belief systems, or lack thereof, each and every one of us would be well-served by remaining open to the possibility that we may in fact be wrong. When presented with an idea that is not aligned with our own perception, the natural desire is to defend our own position. Perhaps the energy spent would have a greater return-on-investment if we actually used it to do a little exploration of both ourselves and the world we think we know. Humility is not celebrated in our culture, but as a vehicle for carrying us to truth, it is without equal. This message has been edited by aeon@mediaone.net on 09-24-2001 at 04:51 AM
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[b] Hey Dave,it's funny because you may think that a "rabbi" would be recording like klezmer and stuff like that, but i actually do my fare share of mainstream rock, pop, and other contemporary stuff.[/b] Actually, I [i]didn't[/i] figure that you were doing klezmer stuff, or solo shofar or anything like that [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] ...I believe that the music that we choose to do is kind of a reflection of our souls, and I think it'd be way interesting to hear the kinds of music that someone who is interested in rabbinic studies would produce. [b]In fact a girl group that we are working with just got signed to Epic and is being featured on the Jenny Jones show! Suffice it to say, their lyrics or dress would not be accepted in synagogue [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img][/b] ...nor any instrumentation! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Actually, that was actually one of the nice things about growing up in a reform synagogue - we used to have a cellist come in and do Kol Nidre on Yom Kippur...just beautiful. [b]but hey, business is business- ya gotta pay the bills! [/b] I hear ya... [b]I actually do have some very interesting stuff as pertains to jewish music recordings...for example- a rabbi with a long beard doing jewish covers of Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, Deep Purple.....; Jewish trance (!!!)...; [/b] NO WAY!!!! That must have been quite the session... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [b]live recordings from a band who play in Israel in front of the tomb of King David (Yikes!!!)... just wild stuff man. i spent two years in Israel doing field recording for a variety of crazy projects too.[/b] Sounds very diverse and interesting! Man, I love this business... [b]So.... what do you do?[/b] Musically? All kinds of stuff. These days it's mainly studio recording, although I'm itching to play live again. If you're interested to hear some of the work that I've been doing recently, feel free to check out my [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/225/david_bryce.html]mp3 site[/url] . It's pretty eclectic... Is some of your stuff online? If not, I'd love to get a CD... dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[quote]Originally posted by soundscapestudios@yahoo.com: [b]I actually do have some very interesting stuff as pertains to jewish music recordings...for example- a rabbi with a long beard doing jewish covers of Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, Deep Purple.....; Jewish trance (!!!)...; The Rockin' Rabbi - Sruly. [/b][/quote] LOL! I keep getting this mental image of Weird Al doing "Amish Paradise" [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Incidentally, I was not confirmed, but I can vouch for the fact that there is a confirmation in conservative and reform judaism. I think it works like this. While Bar or Bat mitzvah is the celebration of being an adult, with full responsibilities of adulthood, it's accepted that most 13 year olds have not received a full jewish education by this time. Can anyone elaborate further? ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Incidentally, I was not confirmed, but I can vouch for the fact that there is a confirmation in conservative and reform judaism. I think it works like this. While Bar or Bat mitzvah is the celebration of being an adult, with full responsibilities of adulthood, it's accepted that most 13 year olds have not received a full jewish education by this time. Can anyone elaborate further? [/b][/quote] Interesting- and the confirmation is after the stuff is learned I assume. I guess the reason I never heard of this is because in my circles, the orthodox as well as conservative are quite well informed of their religion at age 13, hence the lack of further proceedings. --Sruly--

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [B] Actually, I [i]didn't[/i] figure that you were doing klezmer stuff, or solo shofar or anything like that [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] ...I believe that the music that we choose to do is kind of a reflection of our souls, and I think it'd be way interesting to hear the kinds of music that someone who is interested in rabbinic studies would produce. Well, I'll tell you the truth , the stuff I'm working on now is solely for financial considerations, meaning it's not indicative at all of how my "Rabbinic" mind works. It's basically stuff you'd hear on minstream pop radio ( a la Britney, Christina A.-- Yes, I sold out!!) There is a whole market centered in the metro NY area of orthodox jews which I thought you might think was interesting. Basically the way it works is that the orthodox community is very closely knit - almost like one large extended family comprised of about 500,000 jews. The way music works in our circles is completely unconventional. You see, there are no jewish labels to be found- probably never will be. If a person wants to release a disc, he basically brings his product to a distributor who then sends the discs out to the many hundreds of Judaica stores around the area. There are a few main newspapers and mags which you take out ads in.That's about it! This brings you a sizeable potential buyer base at a minimum of hassle. You can sell 20,000 copies pretty easy. The only downside is that without a label, anyone who wants to release a disc can do it-with a little cash, of course.This leads to some terrible music being put out (most of it is good, though).Thats really why labels are good (although every one hates them), without them it's sort of a free for all with no one to filter the bad stuff out . Just wanted to let you know of the market in the jewish scene..... Anyway, as for music production, I haven't been doing a whole lot lately, it's more engineering than producing nowadays.There's notmuch on the net-the internet is sort of shunned in orthodox circles, because of the easy access to sex sites and it's potential danger to kids. I'd be glad to suggest a few really good titles though. I really think you'll be amazed at the stuff the jewish market is producing.I'll look around for a website which i'll post in the next post if you want to check out the scene.

I was out for a short trip ... therefore the delay ... fantasticsound wrote: >>> (quoting me)'Of course somebody who has not experienced a life with religeon never knows how liberating that is'. Funny how a line like that will bite you in the butt. You can't prove or disprove God<<< There is no prove or disprove of a god - this is banal and I fully aggree if necessary. I was writing about religion therefore the sentence stays valid. >>>A kung-fu student gathers his strength through meditation. The "gathering" of chi, personal power, is completely intangible, but it's benefits in action, are anything but. <<< I hold a master degree (black belt) of a martial art - and also the things are more comlicated than you describe them. Humans build up 'micro models' (I guess Penrose founded this term) to plan ahead and constitute themself and without nowing exactly how it works they have a sort of reflection that helps in action. >>>But please, take your condecending manner someplace else.<<< This is an open forum and you're not the moderator. >>>you lose a lot of credibility, even if you are absolutely right<<< Can you hear me moaning? >>>but try studying the history of the Jews. Thrown out of, or hunted down from, just about every country in the world, including this one. So here's a tiny violin for you.<<< I studied Social Sciences and Philosophy and a Jew wanted to have me as his assistant for his institute in NY when I was a student. Jews had and have my sympathies but that has absolutely nothing to do with what I think about religion. I can separate different layers of analysis. >>>What would it have hurt for you to just allowed us to share our strength, unaccosted?<<< The word 'unaccosted' I don't know - I couldn't find it it my Digital-Webster too, but anyway ... to explain my motivations is going too far here. It's an open forum and I just took part - it was interesting for me to see the reactions and replies, even if you tried to attack me personally (Dr.Freud etc.)several times. Religions are hermetic systems and only open minds have a chance to overcome them. >>>Athiests have no corner on the market of dying for their beliefs.<<< But this one was a great sentence! But maybe I understand it different then you meant it ... :-) Nirto Karsten Fischer

Nirto Karsten Fischer

FORCED MEDIA

Visions Of Excess

As you have taken several quotes from my last post completely out of context, then answered them as you've re-written the intent, I won't respond. My previous posts should be clear enough to those who care to listen. I will make one exception. [quote]Originally posted by NKF: [b]>>>...What would it have hurt for you to just allowed us to share our strength, unaccosted?<<< The word 'unaccosted' I don't know - I couldn't find it it my Digital-Webster too, but anyway ... to explain my motivations is going too far here...[/b][/quote] Your motivation was to disrupt, insult, argue, and condescend. That much is crystal clear. If you had wanted to offer support in a method consistant with your athiest beliefs you could have done that in a non-confrontational manner. You chose otherwise. [quote][b]accost[/b] Syllables: ac-cost .Part of Speech transitive verb ..Pronunciation E kawst Inflected Forms accosted, accosting, accosts ..[b]Definition 1. to confront and speak first to, often aggressively.[/b] .......Synonyms waylay , confront , affront , buttonhole ..Similar Words nab , harass , hail2 , bother , badger , outface, ..................attack , charge , aggress , bully1 , trouble , assail , ..................assault , face[/quote] If I have improperly used the prefix [i]un-[/i] with this word, I apologize. I trust this clarifies the point. [b] [quote]>>>Athiests have no corner on the market of dying for their beliefs.<<< But this one was a great sentence! But maybe I understand it different then you meant it ... :-) Nirto Karsten Fischer[/b][/quote] I believe we understand this line, alike. It does bother me that you have no understanding of why it was important to mention. I've said my peace on the subject. L'shana Tova. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i] This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 09-25-2001 at 11:39 PM

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[b] [quote]Originally posted by AmadMozart: [b]Just wanted to post a prayer of peace for humanity at the start of the Jewish New Year. May God grant wisdom and guidance to our leaders during these troubled days, May God grant comfort to those who have suffered, and May God grant eternal rest to those who have passed from our midst. L'Shana Tova Mark[/b][/quote] Sorry i'm responding late to your opening post, Mark. Please know that I share your prayers and hopes. As an informed Christian with a passion for Israel I firmly feel we are (as scripture says) indebted to Judaism for the Law and the Prophets, for giving the world a specially good flavor of humanity that's like no other, and indebted to The Jewish Carpenter for our salvation, abiding hope, power and personal peace in this troubled present world. [i]I pray for the peace of Jerusalem[/i][/B][/QUOTE]
-- Music has miracle potential --

[quote]Originally posted by NKF: [b]Maybe, but this comes after the effect of weakening mental health the whole lifetime of believers. Of course somebody who not experienced a life without religion never knows how liberating that is.[/b][/quote] You obviously are young in your "faith" and have not met any "religious" folks who have been where you are and done that, and found it SORELY lacking. I thought I was living gloriously free for 5 agnostic years til reality reminded me life is not a cosmic Disneyland. In the end, after her husband died before her, world-celebrated atheist author Ayn Rand {"Atlas Shrugged", "The Fountainhead") found it lacking, too, and I saw her say so live her second Phil Donahue show appearance shortly before her death. (get the transcript if you're interested) [quote]by NKF:[b]All Religions are assuming a kind of 'truth' which is at least intellectual totalitarism.[/b][/quote]Friend, atheism is a religion, requiring greather faith (faith that all came from nothing and is daily guided [i]by[/i] no superior creative intelligence) than ours (Jews and Christians). And atheism has exercised "intellectual totalitarism" (i'm guessing [b]totalitarianism[/b] was meant) for three decades in the US. It's an integral part of atheist evangelism, and with religious fervor atheist believers seek to throw down (as you did here) beliefs of others, not coexist peacefully and equally nor share your views in a non-confrontive intelligent way. Atheism's 20th Century poster child, Madeline Murray O'Hare (sp?) flowed in that core atheistic tenet of dogma, and took prayer from public schools for many years and her ilk wielded official gestapo-power in American courts for 30 years, denying millions the simplest expression of faith rights they'd enjoyed for centuries without EVER raising a peep of public or official or judicial disdain or discouragement toward atheists during the same time. [quote][b]and BTW.: people can reply with humor like AmadMozart: >>>Thank you, and God bless you, Nirto<<< This is something I like - at least it shows some tolerance.[b][/quote] That's the nature of the graceful God he has faith in. No matter how you curse him, kick his shins and say He doesn't exist, he's big enough to take it and merciful enough to keep loving you and giving you life. You'll like Him too if you ever choose to know Him -- I didn't say "get religion" or "join a church", i'm saying if you "get to know GOD". This message has been edited by lovesinger on 09-26-2001 at 06:46 AM
-- Music has miracle potential --

[quote]Originally posted by AmadMozart: [b]Just wanted to post a prayer of peace for humanity at the start of the Jewish New Year. May God grant wisdom and guidance to our leaders during these troubled days, May God grant comfort to those who have suffered, and May God grant eternal rest to those who have passed from our midst. L'Shana Tova Mark [/b][/quote] "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" and "GIVE PIECE A CHANCE" and if that Don't work, KILLEM ALL AND LET GOD SORTEM OUT, Only "JKG".

Archived