Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Complicated"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dino321- It would follow that tons of tweaks would be required for real-time tracking, I guess. I just heard that `sk8erboi` single on the radio for the first time. The spelling `sk8` has been around for a couple years, at least. I remember seeing flyers advertising skatboard events before I even came to Japan. As for the `boi` part, I assume that`s a nod to the hip-hop duo Outkast, who have also been around a few years now. One of their members is `Big Boi`. So it`s just a mix of newer subcultures, neither of which I`m into but I`m aware of them. there`s also, needless to say, a trend of deliberately heavyhanded autotune, as a vocal effect. It was cool for a while but it`s getting a bit overused. As for the show I saw, I should mention that I didn`t see it alone. It was after a recording session at the home of the person who records my demos. He`s not a forum member, but I`m sure he would second my impression of it.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]The spelling `sk8` has been around for a couple years, at least. I remember seeing flyers advertising skatboard events before I even came to Japan. As for the `boi` part, I assume that`s a nod to the hip-hop duo Outkast, [/b][/quote]It's got nothing to do with skating or Outkast: calculated.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] [quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]The spelling `sk8` has been around for a couple years, at least. I remember seeing flyers advertising skatboard events before I even came to Japan. As for the `boi` part, I assume that`s a nod to the hip-hop duo Outkast, [/b][/quote]It's got nothing to do with skating or Outkast: calculated.[/b][/quote]Yeah, I figure it's just the young and hip thing to do - an offshoot of hacker-speak and just a way to type things easier in IM and ICQ.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

A Digitech Vocalist not only does Autotune on the fly (controllable via MIDI, or automatic, your choice) but also can add 4 voices of background vocals as well (also controllarble by MIDI, or automatic too)... only not those two things at the same time, bummer that ;) /Z

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] [quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]The spelling `sk8` has been around for a couple years, at least. I remember seeing flyers advertising skatboard events before I even came to Japan. As for the `boi` part, I assume that`s a nod to the hip-hop duo Outkast, [/b][/quote]It's got nothing to do with skating or Outkast: calculated.[/b][/quote]So it`s total coincidence? I don`t think so. If you`ve got another explanation I`m all ears.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]So it`s total coincidence? I don`t think so. If you`ve got another explanation I`m all ears.[/b][/quote]NO, absolutely not! *CALCULATED* means it's PLANNED..... "They" WANT it to come off skater-chic cool, and hopefully a nod to "underground crossover vibe" hip hop at the same time - it's DELIBERATELY INTENTIONAL to evoke a hoped "look and feel". A real "alt-rock grrrl" wouldn't write a song as blatantly specific as "sk8r boi". A girl that was into emo-whatever might, but it wouldn't *sound* like that. Also, skater-groupie girls that hang out aren't likely to have it together enough to sit down and write an album's worth of material, form a band, get it together and then play out and make a demo AND THEN get a contract going BEFORE THE AGE OF 17. That's not reality. Outside chance it could be, but it's sort of it's own dichotomy...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Okay, I thought this might be the problem. I was referring to the etymology of the SPELLING in the title. Specifically, I was addressing this earlier quote: [quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]Yeah, when I caught her "sk8er boi" performance (how silly is the crazy spelling that she uses for the title?) Boring.[/b][/quote]I wouldn`t assume that a real `altgrrrrl` would insist that the song itself reflects something as literal as the spelling of the title, either. As I said before, the music may or may not be your cuppa tea. I`m not even getting into how `real` the music is-just following up an earlier reference. It pays to read these things from the start-It can get tedious but it keeps everyone on the same page.

[quote]As I said before, the music may or may not be your cuppa tea. I`m not even getting into how `real` the music is-just following up an earlier reference.[/quote]Hey Skip, I hate to be so blatant, but the girl just sucks. Period. What else is there to say?

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b] [quote]As I said before, the music may or may not be your cuppa tea. I`m not even getting into how `real` the music is-just following up an earlier reference.[/quote]Hey Skip, I hate to be so blatant, but the girl just sucks. Period. What else is there to say?[/b][/quote]What else is there to say? thanks for your opinion, that`s what.

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b] [quote]As I said before, the music may or may not be your cuppa tea. I`m not even getting into how `real` the music is-just following up an earlier reference.[/quote]Hey Skip, I hate to be so blatant, but the girl just sucks. Period. What else is there to say?[/b][/quote]What else is there to say? thanks for your opinion, that`s what.

Archived