Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

small set

SteveC

Hey guys,

I'm from the bass player side. I am thinking about getting better on drums as there are NO drummers in town and about a million bass players.

I would want something small and protable as there are no really big clubs and the stages are small. I'd be doing jazz and "classic rock" type stuff.

Would a Yamaha Hipgig be OK?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my Rick Marotta Hip Gig a lot. A great tradeoff in sound, versatility, and portability. But there are certainly other options out there.

If you're serious about drums, you might want to look into custom kits. There are many companies out there that offer custom configurations. You'd have to invest time in research and in trying out what works for you.

Just for the record.

I would hestitate to use a 16" bass drum with plastic heads. There's no bass to it. Even 18" bass drums are pretty borderline- some of the very best manage a bass drum sound but those are best employed as a kind of tom with a foot beater.

If you get into real skin heads, you will manage a much more satisfying bass tone. This might mean using a conga or some kind of hand drum- at least in the line from the lower opening, there will be some real bass tone there and a nice groovacious feel. Note the long shell- the best 18"s work by means of their cannon-like depth.

Or you could use a box drum, for the kind of tone people dream about making with their normal kit bass drums. That cuts, and has way more class and vibe than plastic.

Or you could get an old parade drum off ebay or something. I have a nice 23 1/2" x 8" marching Ludwig&Ludwig with original calf skins that I found in the back hall storage of a used drum store. Within it's limits it's quite nice. And actually marching with it has it's appeal!

A small drum kit need be nothing but two drums, an up drum (snare) and a down drum (bass drum). But for smaller spaces a snare drum might be too loud- bass drums basically never are quite loud enough, they are a chronically underpowered instrument until the size gets quite big. Still, any number of instruments can sub for a snare drum- a nice tambourine, a woodblock, a hand drum of some kind, a hi hat, clapped hands. The role can be filled any number of ways. Same for bass drum- even a stomped foot will serve, and on a wooden stage will very likely have deep powerful bass far beyond what the bass drum is capable of.

And any kind of cymbals, bells, or shakers can take the role hi hats or rides usually fill.

There's a lot of wonderful percussion instruments to put together to make an expressive small kit- I would hesitate to go with the usual plastic head drum kit in a miniature size, when so many creative options are available.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Pacific drums anything, Tama, Yamaha, NOT Mapex, Pearl, those are pretty compact. I'm being general for the fact that some company names will be known for large sets, notice i said NOT Mapex, you look towards Musiciansfriend.com or catologue you'll find large 6-i believe, 8 piece sets>>> look for PdP though i am pretty sure the best SOUNDING would be Tama... If that helps any, Your welcome, Prolly not though, thur just trade marks and tips... :)

-----------------

I know these people, they serve me food from McDonalds :)

Don't touch my car! *wack!*

I was in your boat about four years ago and so I went to my local music store and checked out the hipgig kits. I played them, and then I inquired about the price. Then I passed out.

I decided on going with the Ludwig Fab 4 kit with a 20" kick and haven't looked back. I also have a Catalina club 4pc with an 18" kick. with the right head combo and proper tuning you can achieve a great sound from a small kit.

Originally posted by joeq:

Originally posted by SteveC:

as there are NO drummers in town and about a million bass players.

WOW :eek:

where do you live?

Fantasy Island?

Never Never Land?

Bizarro Universe? :D

Huh Huh, I like this guy... Never Never Land :D that's pretty funny, Mj HATES (o)(o) but yet likes little boys' o!o
Don't touch my car! *wack!*

Seriously, no drummers unless you count the indie and garage band guys that suck and only know one beat.

Our new "piano/acoustic rock" band will have one gig this Saturday before the drummer moves to Portland. So much for that band. We may re-tool and go "acoustic/unplugged' without a drummer. The songs would work, maybe some hand percussion or something.

The past 4 groups I've been in have disolved because of the drummer. Sorry.

Archived