Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Converters

sheld005

Hi ive been recording live drums on my analogue reel to reel, now i am ready to mix them down in my DAW, how would you convert these beutiful analouge tracks, my options are mackie D8B or the MOTU2408MK111, basically wich are the best converters, anybody got this set up "how do you do yours"

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help you, but, if I were you, I'd post this over in Phil O'Keefe's "The Project Studio" (also only musicplayer). Those guys are real experts on exactly these sorts of questions.

Good luck.

I am truly grateful for the wonderful information that everyone on the musicplayer site graciously bestows to me without thought of reward. You are all a credit to the worldwide web.

Originally posted by sheld005:

Hi ive been recording live drums on my analogue reel to reel, now i am ready to mix them down in my DAW, how would you convert these beutiful analouge tracks, my options are mackie D8B or the MOTU2408MK111, basically wich are the best converters, anybody got this set up "how do you do yours"

Thanks

I don't waste time recording to analog at all, I record directly through Mytek converters to Sequoia, using an RME Digiface interface.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

If you have both a Mackie DB 8 and a MOTU, try both. It's not gonna cost you anything to double the tracks. You can then use your ears to select the most pleasing version.

Is your analog deck 2 track, 4 track, 8 track, more? And if so is the bass drum separated, for instance, from the snare, toms, etc?

The reason I ask is, some drums may sound better with different converters - hypothetically.

At any rate, the main thing to look out for is timing drift due to the variations of the tape machine with respect to speed - that is if you are going in without SMPTE code to lock up the deck with the DAW, you'll not stay in perfect sync. I have found this to occur with vocals I did on my Reel to reel that I subsequently sent into my DAW. They did not sync up with the backing tracks. The solution was to cut and paste the sections so they all line up. It could get tedious with more tracks. Good luck

Archived