Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis SR16 or Zoom MRT3 Micro Rhythm. Which one is better?

Imagine

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Zoom MRT3 is probably the best for the money. The sounds are dry, however, so you're not going to get those big "thumpy" drum sounds from it.

The SR16 has been on the market for a LONG time; so the sounds are going to be a bit more dated.

If I remember correctly the MRT3 has more features and is less expensive than the SR16.

For what you've stated your needs are, the MRT3 is probably a good choice. If you can, try to compare them side-by-side at a music store. And do some research on the Internet to find out what features each unit has. You can also read reviews on both units ... just use Google. :)

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew more about the Zoom MRT3. Come to think about it, I think I played with one in a music store once. Had red colored buttons on it. Right? In a half moon shape. If it is what I think it is that was a cool unit........had bass programming on it too. I think that was the same one.

I have an SR16 that I have used alot. Sometimes I still use it on certain songs that I develop. I like it because it has a two pattern, and two fill positions. Once these are programmed you can change the patterns with a foot pedal. I like that feature because you could be playing the piano and change the patterns at the same time to give it a more natural feel.

I am still surprised at how the SR16 holds it's higher price still today. I paid $225 for mine 4 -5 years ago, new. I think $125 today or a little less.

Just a couple of cents to add.

Jazzman :cool:

The SR16 is a great unit however you should be aware that you can't program a tempo change mid song only change it manually. I use mine as a module only and use a sequencer to program the actual songs so its not a problem for me. I like the sounds most of which are available dry as well as with various types of ambience. You can find samples of all of the sounds on the internet though I don't currently have a link for any. Good luck on your search. ;)

Lyrics. Wasted space between solos.

I can't tell you, but I can play it for you.

Honestly I don`t buy anything Zoom. However, the Alesis drum machines and sound modules are cool. I`ve had the SR16 for about 12 years now and I also own and use regulary the Alesis D4.

Ernest

I can't tell you anything about the new drum machines. Heck, you'd have to go back 6 or more years for any authoritative information about any other drum machine than the SR16 ;)

I bought my SR-16 the month it came out. The price, in 1990, was $349. That was a great price, as the model was brand new and nobody else's products could touch it's sound quality, features, and ease of use. Now it sells for $149.. maybe less.

To show you how old this unit is, the first few months the MIDI implementation was restricted to D40-49. It's setup for use as a sound module using drum sets 40 - 49 as MIDI note numbers 1-120. (12 pads x 10 sets.) After 6 months (right up until today) SR-16's allow D00-09, D10-19, etc. to be used as the 120 available note numbers.

So why is it still around?

It's the songwriter's friend. The relatively simple, yet powerful tool that allows quick development of drum loops with variations (the fills that Jazzman alluded to) and, after 14 years, still sounds pretty darn good! It's not perfect. Far from it. But it provides the basic tools in a way that many non drummers and drummers can relate to quickly and effectively.

Not to mention I've yet to have a memory drop in 14 years! (I think they claimed 4 or 5 years tops for the internal memory battery. ;) )

Check out the Zoom thoroughly, if you intend to buy it. If it's not rock solid and easy to use, I'd get a relatively cheap, new, SR-16.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived