Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wanted: Very FAST drummer!

techristian

Wanted: Very FAST drummer for a new club in Vegas! Must be able to play triplets with your feet at 300 BPM. We know that only a few in the country will qualify so we are willing to fly you out for a FULL EXPENSE PAID audition. If you qualify you will be part of a giant PyroTechnical event taking place on New Years Eve.

OK....now back to the real world. Yes it is true that I have been a WFD contender in a few events, and I also plan to be in Nashville in July, BUT I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED to ever see such an AD placed. However, to you that always put down SPEED, technical ability would also never be asked for in an advertisement.

Here are a few others that you will never see.

Wanted: A drummer who can play complex polyrythms.

Wanted: A drummer who can play parradiddles.

Wanted: A drummer who can play rolls like Keith Moon.

You won't even see

Wanted: A drummer who can play complex polyrythms TASTEFULLY.

wHY ????

Because there is WAY more to drumming than just speed , or incredible co-ordination. There is a thing called FEEL which can only be learned with TIME and EXPERIENCE jamming with others. So to those that put down SPEED ONLY we can also put down CO-ORDINATION ONLY.

Now on the flip side... YOU WILL STILL NEED SPEED AND CO-ORDINATION and that will take practice, practice, practice.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TechC, I'm a bit perplexed. I know you to be a generally smart fellow but I really don't see the point here.

If you wanted to make a statement about the need for balance as a musician, something that's admittedly often forgotten or ignored particularly by the young or beginners, I think there'd be lots of ways to do so without the elaborate premise you've concocted. It would also be better served without the almost contradictory remarks you make at different points.

Besides, I think you've made the mistake of using a bad example. It could well be that something along the lines of the "ad copy" that you say will never be seen could indeed be used to attract those of particular interests or abilities.

The one about "drummer who can play complex polyrhythms" is indeed very like one I've placed in the past.

For those of you that asked, NO THIS IS NOT A REAL GIG.

For those of you that asked I'm 48 now and I've played drums since I was 16. I practiced on average 1 hour per day up until I got married in 1983. After that I slipped down to once every 3 months (just barely keeping my chops). When I bought my Double Pearls in the summer 2000 I started practicing again a few times per week. When I heard about the WFD 2 1/2 years ago I began practicing more and more. I now practice 2 hours every second day. I regained all of my chops 1 year ago and now I'm pressing forward beyond my wildest dreams to 4 stroke ruffs with my feet that sound like a single stroke.

Some have asked "WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOUR POST?"

I was only trying to say that ANY SINGLE CHOP ALONE will not make a good drummer, but rather many things put together will make a great drummer. So even though I'm big on speed.....

1) Try jamming with others.

2) Try drumming in a real studio. That is a real headspinner. Try playing with a metronome.

3) Try learning to read. Try reading CHARTS.

4) Try playing , Rock, Country , Jazz, Fusion, POP, Metal etc. They all have different feel and all use the rudiments IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

5) Try working in large and small bands. Try working with keyboard players and in bands with only guitars and drums.

6) Try playing with vocalists. This is very important because you must "take backstage" when the lead singer sings.

7) Perhaps the hardest thing to tell some drummers is this. PLAY LESS This will be what you will need to do MOST OF THE TIME. No one is impressed if you play 16th note triplets overtop of the lead vocalist !PLAY SIMPLE AND PLAY SOLID

8) Record your drumming and play it back. You will find that it sounds different when you LISTEN to it.

The drums are a powerful and expressive instrument. I pray that after you master it, that you will use it only for good.

Dan Laskowski

C'mon guys lighten up. He's right. I have been playing drums for 25 years. Can do all that poly rhythm stuff, various etnic feels, and keep a dam funky pocket. When I look in the local papers for drummers wanted, They all want "drummers with machine gun feet"

Give me a break. If you can't keep it in the pocket, the show is over.

• 2 weeks later...

When I look in the local papers for drummers wanted, They all want "drummers with machine gun feet"

Well now that I have been practicing for the WFD I also have "machine gun feet" , but I'm no longer interested in playing with most of the metal bands that are looking for that. I'm trying to incorporate that type of foot work into my funky drumming, although in small doses of mostly 4 and 6 stroke ruffs with funky PARRADIDDLES, complete with "ghost notes" on top.

Dan

Originally posted by techristian:

Wanted: Very FAST drummer for a new club in Vegas! Must be able to play triplets with your feet at 300 BPM. We know that only a few in the country will qualify so we are willing to fly you out for a FULL EXPENSE PAID audition. If you qualify you will be part of a giant PyroTechnical event taking place on New Years Eve.

OK....now back to the real world. Yes it is true that I have been a WFD contender in a few events, and I also plan to be in Nashville in July, BUT I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED to ever see such an AD placed. However, to you that always put down SPEED, technical ability would also never be asked for in an advertisement.

Here are a few others that you will never see.

Wanted: A drummer who can play complex polyrythms.

Wanted: A drummer who can play parradiddles.

Wanted: A drummer who can play rolls like Keith Moon.

You won't even see

Wanted: A drummer who can play complex polyrythms TASTEFULLY.

wHY ????

Because there is WAY more to drumming than just speed , or incredible co-ordination. There is a thing called FEEL which can only be learned with TIME and EXPERIENCE jamming with others. So to those that put down SPEED ONLY we can also put down CO-ORDINATION ONLY.

Now on the flip side... YOU WILL STILL NEED SPEED AND CO-ORDINATION and that will take practice, practice, practice.

Dan

Hi Guys

I'm new here so hello there folks :) and NOT a drummer but theres one drummer I know of that can do all of the above and more...

Gary Husband!

I've seen him a few times and i mean actually more than a few but hes a phenominal drummer with versatility and an awe struck way about his whole ability to play and play well. With people like Billy Cobham and Allan Holdsworth attracted to him, I'm not surprised that hes such a brilliant player.

Garys playing with Mark Kings Level 42 at the moment but hes just done some work for the Football Cardz for Euro 2004 with his own compositions as hes a brilliant pianist to. :)

It leaves a WOW in your mind everytime when I have seen him play.

Check him out at Gary Husbands Official Website.

Hes a real gentleman to boot to... :)

BTW...this is not a plug but I really do respect Gary as a friend and as musician so thought i would mention him here as one of my greats.

YaCaBaby

x

I'd second YaCaBaby's recommendation - and add another to the pile...

MARK MONDESIR

This guy is unbeliveable! Having seen him play complex rhythms at lightning speed... I can't rate him enough!

In fact, there is a link with the last post... Gary plays with Mark (and his brother Mike) on the DVD "To The Power Of Three" from RSJ Groove Productions. Check it out!!!!! :eek:

Archived