Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best ride for Metal / hard rock?

Allan Speers

I'm looking for something to really cut through metal and other seriously aggressive music. -But not just a garbage can lid, it must also be musical and "playable."

I have tried a bunch of the usual suspects, but so far am not thrilled.

Volume is not important, just sound, as this will be strictly for recording.

Any suggestions?

does anyone know what Metallica's drummer records with? that's basically the perfect sound. AC-DC's drummer has a killer ride as well, though different.

thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lars uses a zildjian 20 inch ping ride I think....

I think any farely heavy and bright ride will do. Another thing you could do on top of that if you're having trouble getting the bell to cut is to get a small Zilbel.....those things cut like you wouldn't believe

Zildjian's Z series are heavier cymbals designed for louder situations. I have a Z crash, and it's easiest the loudest crash I have, but it still has a good sound to it. However, because it is denser than most other cymbals, you have to lay into it a little more than you would with "normal" cymbals.

Phil Rudd, AC/DC's drummer, has played Zildjians but he mostly uses Paiste cymbals, primarily the 2002 series.

Yeah, I like the Z's a lot.

I have a 20" Z power-ride which is amazing, but not quite what I want. The problem is that this particular Z is actually too versatile. It's got enough wash and fullness to cut a funk gig, even pop, so although it's aggressive it's not DEADLY aggressive.

I'm looking for something that is so over-the-top aggressive that it can't be used for anything else. (and still musical)

Note also that it doesn't necessarily have to be LOUD, just cutting and dry.

The 2002 series is a good idea. I've heard that they tend to be bright and high pitched because of the alloy used. any idea which model would be best?

I've got the ultimate el-cheapo solution: a Wuhan S-Class 20" Medium Heavy ride. I bought the S cymbal pack, and this thing was a monster: bright, dry, cutting, lots of stick sound, few overtones, and a bell like an anvil. It cries out for blast beats and lots of clanging bell patterns. Best of all, they're around a hundred bucks. I'd sell you mine, but I already got rid of it - no need for a metal-up-your-ass ride at my house. Check out Interstate Music online.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I'm using a K-Custom 20" ride. It has very little wash. It cuts through very nicely. The bell is decent, but not as loud as some other cymbalss.

I think Zildjian still makes the "Mega Bell" ride. I haven't heard it personally, but judging from the look of it and the massive size of the bell, I'd imagine it would have one hellova loud-ass bell sound, and yield a very non-washy, cutting cymbal sound.

I have a zildjian 20 inch ping ride that cuts through any mix very easy.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I always thought Neil Peart's 22" Ping Ride was always a great rock ride sound. Until the Sabian thing. ANyone heard those cymbals?

And as for the Mega Bell, a great recorded example of that cymbal is on Aerosmith's "Love In An Elevator." That's Joey Kramer clanging away on a Mega Bell.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• 4 weeks later...
Blue Strat and Varispeed got it right the 20" Earth Ride is perfect for Metal I use mine in Gospel, R&B and Jazz and I can tell it is EXTREMELY POWERFUL with a bell that rivals any. And it is Virtually undestuctable.
Beat by Beat Note by Note

Archived