Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for Cds with only drums

Jedi

Hey all,

I'm a regular on SSS, and this is probrably my first post on the Drum Forum. I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist.

Anyway, for a while I have been looking for Cds with nothing but drums, percussion, etc. and it has been very difficult to find. I've searched and searched and I can only find Cds that have a lot of drums with chanting, or flute, or something. I never can get just drums. I was wondering if you guys knew of any artists/groups/bands that just dealt with drums, percussion period. NO CHANTS, NO FLUTES, NO WHATEVER. I could also go for some marching band drums, but NO BRASS, NO VOX, NO ANYTHING ELSE, JUST DRUMS.

Thanks in advance,

Lincoln Ross

Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither of these groups use trap drums or marching drums as we know them, but check out:

KODO

http://www.kodo.com

KODO is a Japanese drumming troupe that you would probably fall in love with, knowing you, Jedi. It consists of about 25 people at any given time (they've been around for 20+ years and some of the current members are even the original members' kids), and they live in a compound way up in the mountains of Japan. Pretty much all of their time is spent at either drumming, or athletics to stay in shape for drumming (they all run 10K every day). These guys are serious. They play mainly Taiko drums, some of which are up to 20 feet long and 6 feet in diameter. Unbelievable stuff!

Occasionally one of their tunes will have some other instrument in it like a flute, but most of it's drums/percussion and nothin' but. If you EVER get a chance to see these guys live, DO IT. I guarantee there's nothing in the world like it.

STOMP

http://www.stomponline.com/

You may have heard of this production that features urban street kids drumming with found objects - oil drums, brooms, trash can lids, everything including the kitchen sink! :D Best seen live to be appreciated, but the compositions themselves are just way cool.

Hope that helps! I know there are more, I'll post 'em if I think of 'em. Gotta look through the ol' CD collection.

here's one of my faves

Rich a la Rakha

Buddy Rich and Alla Rakha in a drum set/tabla "battle"

A record that proves the concept of music being the Universal Language

Rakha does some "vocal tabla" but otherwise its all drums and nothing but drums. Buddy takes off his shoes sits down on the rug and plays some Indian hand drums too.

What about Mickey Harts Planet Drum records?. A bit of chanting here and there but otherwise...

Thank You, Thank You.

Lee you're the best as always.

I'm going to check out the Cds you guys mention pronto.

Thanks again,

and if you got anymore let me know. I'm a drum loving fool.

Lincoln Ross

Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Don't know of any CDs, but Steve Smith has a great DVD out explaining the history of drums. He does some very nice drum work in it and explains how and why everything fits together. Also has a pretty cool Hihat solo on there. Also, you might check out Drumline, it has some great marching band battles.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amulet Records

Run by Billy Martin of Medeski Martin & Wood, this is a percussion-based label. Percussion only discs include Billy Martin's own compilation of breakbeats, percussion duets between Martin and G. Calvin Weston (Ornette Coleman's Prime Time) and Martin's solo percussion disc "Black Elk Speaks."

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

LOL@Dr.Toon...I mean Dr.Taz. ;)

Although Dr.Taz's suggestion is a good bit more money wise than just a cd or two.......It is the most awesome sounding and versatile tool any drummer could have. IMHO

2 Thumbs Up !!

Archived