Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best way to refinish a snare?

Allan Speers

Greetings, fellow bashers of things. I once again need your help.

I am contemplating refinishing a perfectly good snare, becasue I'm basically insane. It's a maple snare with a laquer finish over the natural wood, with brass hardware. I'm in love with cherry stain on maple, and want to make this happen, but I have no idea which method is best.

First, is it best to use sandpaper, or steel wool, to get the old laquer off?

I also want the stain to bring out the grain. the original laquer will likely be embedded into the grain, and will not come out with sanding, so should I use some kind of laquer thinner or turps after sanding?

Once I have the shell clean, and then stained, which is preferrable sonically: Laquer, or tung oil?

Last, while it's apart, I might as well polish the brass lugs. Is Zildjian cymbal cleaner good for this, or something else?

All opinions welcome. Being as this is an N&C ss maple snare, I really don't want to screw it up. I know I should just send it to N&C, but I'm too cheap. Plus, doing it myself is sort of like "Zen and the art of snare drum maintanence." I want to become one with my drum kit.

I know I'm insane for considering this, but please help anyway.

Ever so grateful,

Allan Speers

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan:

The first thing that you want to do is determine what finish is on the drum itself.

Some companies (albeit rare) use nitrocelulose based laquer. Some use Poly. Some use a water based laquer.

You should call N&C and tell them what you would like to do. Ask them what product they use. They should tell you and as a bonus, ... if you get the right person on the right day, ... they may even give you the steps you are looking for.

One thing for sure ... they are into making new drums. They would rather tell you how to refinish ... than to do it themselves!

The key is to make sure you are using a compatible product.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Allan,

Buddy, check out this link:

http://www.acousticdrums.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

This BBS has a section specifically devoted to drum refinishing.

You might find some good info there - i read through a few of the threads and some of these people have taken this pretty far.

Rod

Archived