Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crash or Ride

Bonham Jr

I need a new cymbal.

I am a young drummer looking to buy some new cymbals.

I am definitely getting hi hats, but now i need to know if i should get a ride or a crash, because i will use my Crash/Ride for the other cymbal.

The band I am in play metal, classic rock, and other rock: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Ac/dc, RATM, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Rush, etc.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy the best ride you can afford, and plan on keeping it a long time. That doesn't mean you necessarily have to spend more, but it means you should take the time to find the best one you can afford. If you're lucky, you'll find one that you never want to part with for thirty years, like Neil Peart - he's been playing the same A. Zildjian 22" Ping Ride since 1974. You will own a lot of different crash cymbals over the years, but a good ride cymbal is one of the foundations of your sound, a very important basic piece.

Let me make a recommendation: If you want a very pingy hard rock ride sound without much wash or crash to it, check out the Wuhan S-Class Medium Heavy Ride. It is super tight and super dry. If you want ANY kind of full sound, it's not the cymbal for you, but if you want a lot of stick attack and an anvil-like bell sound, for CHEAP, it's the way to go. Actually, all Wuhan's cymbals are a lot of cymbal for the money. Check them out.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Most of my Brass is Zildjian Custom "A"'s - although you may find Paiste more to your liking - but i would not reccomend buying a 20" ride and using it as a crash - nor would i reccomend a crash and settle for riding your high hat -

Probably the best bang for your buck at this point is something in the area of an 18" Crash/Ride.

The decay is faster than a standard ride - yet they have a fairly decent sound for the ride itself -

One thing i agree on is to buy the absolute best you can - I am still plying a 22" Zildjian Sizzle ride that was made in 1970.... and it sounds as sweet today (33 years later) as it did the day it was made. And should last me the rest of my life.

Rod

i vote ride if it's a choice. i can go a long way with a ride and hi-hat, but the crash and hi hat would be very limiting to me.

but i'm usually in the soul/funk bracket.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

I would say get a crash first.

You can live without a ride.

In your style of music, you really can't go without the crash though.

I prefer all paiste.

Btw, the Paiste Alpha has NICE cymbals for mid range prices.

If ya have the money,

I like dimensions and innovation stuff the most.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi BJ, I would look at cymbal packs at the drum shop, also look at used cymbals, you might be able to pick up two cymbals for the price of one. If buying used, hit the cymbals and check for over tones. If you hear lower tones when hitting the cymbal then don't get it, because it was de-tuned, or not a very good cymbal to begin with.

Just my thoughts.......

Jazzman :cool:

Hmm. IMO, you absolutely HAVE to have a ride, and as others have said it should be the best you can afford. If it has a nice crash sound as well, that's icing on the cake, but don't pick a ride specifically for this. You will certainly get real crashes later on, and you don't want to compromise the all-important ride cymbal. Two things to keep in mind for your application:

1: as others have said, you want a lot of ping, though a little wash is IMO a great thing, even in hard rock.

2: You MUST have a killer, loud and raw bell. make that your #1 priority.

You could also condier the crash-ride option, but those are typically trade-off cymbals. (or extra sounds for those that already have a large cymbal collection) Not recommended unless you are so poor that you don't forsee buying any more cymbals in the next year or so.

BTW: I have yet to hear a ride cymbal made in the last 20 years that blows me away. Something about the alloy that they used to use? That's very subjective, of course, but you could probably buy ANY vintage Zildian-A 20" ride (heavier weight would be best for you) for cheap off of Ebay, and be happy. -though that is of course taking a chance, but you might get a beauty for cheap. they often go for less than $100, which leaves some $$$ for a crash. When you're ready to spend $250-$300, THEN I highly recommend going to a good drum shop so you can hear them first.

Archived