Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are they hats or 14" crashes???

Allan Speers

Here's a srange one:

a friend of mine just bought a large collection of old Zildjian cymbals from an estate auction for cheap. Just a large pile of bronze, no drums and no hardware. The old woman had no idea what they were, etc etc etc.

I went over, drooling, hoping to find a rare gem or two (this was about 20 cymbals.) I did find one exceptional ride, the rest were pretty awful.

Anyway, to the point of this post: There are two 14" cymbals, and I can't figure out if they are crashes or hats. As hats, they're kind of dull, but I've heard other old Z's that had a similar sound. As crashes, they seem a little thick, without the typical HF zing, but then I've never seen an old Z 14" crash before.

One of the two has a smaller hole than normal, and doesn't slip over the crash-stand's plastic sleeve. Can i assume THAT's a hat? If so, the other one SHOULD be the mating piece, but is there any way to tell for sure? Neither says "top" or "bottom."

Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure you don't mean, "old Ks"? If one has a tiny little hole, it's probably an old hihat; I've seen some ancient Zildjian hats that had small holes. I guess hi-hat stands have grown over the years. And look at the stamp on the cymbal closely; if it says "K. Zildjian," then you have a real treasure.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Hey, Jode.

The ride I love is a K, but all the rest say "Avedis Zildjian Co.... Genuine Turkish Cymbal.... made in USA."

I guess these ARE hats, due to the small hole (thanks for that info.) Would I be correct in assuming that the heavier one goes on the bottom?

Also, What do most drummers do when using this type of old Zildjian on modern hardware? Do you all just drill-out the hole? Won't that change the sound a little?

Yikes! DO NOT DRILL THAT CYMBAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO I NEED TO SAY THAT AGAIN!! You run a high risk of cracking the cymbal and you *will* ruin the value of the cymbal. That small hole gives it value.

First of all ... let me say this. If you have any cymbal that says K.Zildjian ... DO NOT play that for just any old music. You would be better off auctioning that cymbal off on Ebay and take the good gains and apply that to a more everyday playable cymbal.

K's are HIGHLY sought after and hard to find. There are folks that will pay top dollar for a good one.

Also, never underestimate the rest of the cymbals in that lot. What may not sound good to you ... may be *just* what a jazz player is looking for.

Regarding your old pair of 14's. Hmmm, here is the deal. They may not be a pair at all, or then again ... maybe they are.

Old trap sets used a leather strap to support a small crash cymbal (much like a concert suspended cymbal). That cymbal usually had a smaller hole.

Additionally, the pair may be an old pair of marching cymbals. Especially if they are really heavy. HiHat cymbals were usually very thin in the old days.

That is a "hard to say sight unseen" one.

I encourage you to auction those cymbals off and take the better than average gain from the K and get your self a PrePak of hand selected cymbals from Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste.

Just my thoughts.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Excellent info, Djarrett. thanks.

I dubt, though, that these are marching cymbals because they are extremely light. the two together weigh about as much as just my BOTTOM Paiste sig 14' alone.

Jode seems to be correct that old hats had smaller holes: I looked at a few ebay auctions for old Zildjian hats and indeed saw that one from each pair had the small hole.

So what's the deal? If I don't drill-out the hole (I am heading your warning!) then how the heck can I try these? There must be some answer since so many of these cymbals are still around.

I suggest you write to Harry Cangany over at Modern Drummer. He is the guru of vintage drums and cymbals. That, or get a copy of that huge cymbal book written by Hugo (long foreign name I can't remember how to spell).

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Allan, Go to: www.notsomoderndrummer.com

Click on contact us and send an e-mail to John Aldridge concerning your new stash of cymbals. Tell him that I recommended you contact him. He can sell those for you as he knows the folks that are looking for vintage stuff.

You are better off letting someone that is assembling a vintage set for use or display buy those old hats. They are too thin for today's music anyway. You risk cracking them. These were used back when they had Chinese Temple Blocks instead of tom toms!

30's and 40's music and jazz.

The thing about cymbals. (as well as any instrument) ... you need to use the right instrument for the right type of music you play.

I do know that Paula Cole's drummer used an ancient pair of "sock hats" (as they used to call them) on his kit, but he uses some very old vintage stuff with his kit.

Try John at Not So Modern Drummer magazine. He should be able to provide some direction. DO NOT DRILL THAT CYMBAL!!!!

DJ

Archived