Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crashes- 16" and 18" or 16" and 14"?

HiRoller

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get the 18. A 14 is the LAST size you buy, after you've already got everything else, unless you only play cocktail gigs.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Well now, Jode:

I have to debate you on that call!

I think it really depends more on what type of music you are primarily playing.

I like a 14" personally, because, ... It is between a crash and a splash (splashes officially being 6"-12"), therefore offering (and again, ... In my opinion) ... more versatility.

Just my thoughts (and no offense Jode!)

Thanks,

DJ

I vote for the 16" and 14". An 18" is too close to the 20" ride you've got, and you'll run the risk of being muddy.

I'd say that with cymbals, it's easier to add presence to the smaller ones than it is to tame the bigger ones.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I've met very few 18's that I like to play. They sound good when other people play them but they usually don't do much for me personally. I always go with 16 & 14.

I would recommend that you try both - give each a listen and see what you like. The brand and type of crash will have a humungous effect on the sound of the particular cymbal. For example, even though I like 14's, if the only 14 available was a 14 RUDE or something similar I'd probably go with a paper thin 18".

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Thanks for the input everybody. I'll be trying out every cymbal within a 20 mile radius before buying.

For the record, I'm primarily a guitar/bass player and an intermediate drummer on a good day. The current and former drummers in my band have 16" and 18" crashes and when they get those babies humming it makes a cool wall of cymbals. For some reason I gravitate towards the 14". Maybe I'll just flip a coin and yell out 'Oh cymbal Gods, bestow your infinite wisdom on me, heads its 14", tails its 18!"

my band: Mission 5

"...former drummers in my band have 16" and 18" crashes and when they get those babies humming it makes a cool wall of cymbals."

get yourself out of that sonic hazard asap. It'll mess with your guitar tones, and your hearing.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by HiRoller:

Looking to add a crash cymbal, what do you guys recommend? I play a Gretsch Catalina 5 pc kit w/ Zildjian hats, 16" medium thin crash, and 20" medium ride.

With your current setup, I'd go for a China or a splash instead of another crash. More versatile, IMO. I've got a 12" Wuhan China that sounds every bit as full and loud as my 16" Paiste 502 crash, but with less sustain. My China is as subtle as a sledge-hammer. :thu:

If you're set on getting a crash, check out the 16" 502. I really like mine.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived