Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So who's your favorite cymbal player?

Jode

The thread on cymbals got me thinking. What famous drummer is also your favorite cymbal player? Stewart Copeland was mentioned in that thread, as was Buddy Rich, who is the master of cymbal playing as much as he is of drumming. Neil Peart also has added much to the vocabulary of the cymbals. So who else does it for you with the metal as much as the skins?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The drummer for Iron Maiden and also the drummer for The Offspring. Both have really great sounding ride cymbals and use them well. Nice "ping!" I also like Nick Menza of Megadeth.

Songs with the cymbal parts I like:

"Come out and Play" The Offspring

"The Wickerman" Iron Maiden

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Buddy Rich ROCKED but he wouldn't have known what to do with a latin rhythm to save his life... ever heard him do A Night in Tunisia? It's really embarrassing...

Elvin Jones- could anyone have a lighter touch with so much latent power, or a more spontaneous swing?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Buddy was that rare bird whose tremendous natural talent overrode his lack of authenticity in other styles. He's known for his not-always-succesful forays into rock, but I still love his take on "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"; it is a supremely funky, relaxed, all-over-the-map breakbeat that explodes into funk nirvana during the "hands across the water" section. Hell, I could watch Buddy play a toolbox with two crescent wrenches.

I forgot to mention Bill Stewart and Manu Katche.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived