Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where is the trend now?

djarrett

You know, I have been involved in drumming since I was in the 4th grade. I have been in the drum industry since I was 23 (1985ish)

It used to be that you could really dictate a lean from year to year in drum trends. Four pc. sets, Plastic wrap (white marine pearl), Short toms, Square (deep) toms.

Then there was the whole swing to electronics back in the mid 80's (Simmons drum era).

Now, I just don't know anymore. I was checking out last month's Modern Drummer and DRUM! It is all over the board now!

Where do you guys thing the trends are leaning?

DJ

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I scarcely notice what trends are happening on the national level but lately in various local scenes ( NY and elsewhere) I have been seeing a trend of "I don't care" drumsets. Mismatched, beat to hell components, no floor tom, no toms at all, 4 year old heads, etc. etc.

what's up with that? where's the pride? haven't these people ever heard of Armorall?

I've also seen various trends evolve then disappear.

As Joeq said, it's more noticeable on the local scene. "Back in the day", for me and my contemporaries, it was "Speed King" & "Ghost" pedals, then Iron Cobras... taped up heads offering no resonance whatsoever gave way to Pinstipes... Radio Kings & Black Beauties were the must-have, then the trend shifted and piccolo snares were the rage... "New Jack Swing" was the style for a minute, then everybody turned into funk-fusion wannabe's

These days, I think it's a lot more "individualized". Where my peers and I, at one time, shared like components (read: we all had to have the hot piece that everybody was using..!), now, it's all about what works for the individual, with hardware preferences and playing styles, as Dendy said, all over the board.

If I had to claim a trend now, it's individualism. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing new drums comming into the market, set's I've never heard of.

Taye Drums,PDP(Pacific Drums),Peace (newer on the market), Proel (Tamburo)(Made in Italy), RMV Drums, to name a few. These I've never heard of myself. I think I heard of the Pacific ones though. The market is wide open, using cheap labor can get you an outstanding set for a cheaper price. However in some cases the metals used in the hardware may not hold up to that well as the known ones have. I know that some overseas steel is not at strong as US made structural steels.

I think that the trend is in getting bigger drum sets with a lot of side gear that the drummer has at his fingertips. I also see more of the electronic sets out there too. Also the combinations of both. I think drummers are testing themselves more and more, the gear, the setups and their playing patterns.

I also think that drummers of today tend to put the drums in akward positions to be noticed when playing. Some setups that I've seen on stage, in my mind would be uncomfortable to play for a long period time. Too much reach for the drummer. I've seen this mostly in Rock Bands.

Just an observation.

Jazzman :cool:

I'm starting a new trend. I have a Djembe on a stand just to the left of my hats

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

• 3 weeks later...
I believe that trends are started by drummers doing their own thing and what they feel comfortable with. I relize that playing a double bass kit was done long before Metallica came into the scene but I wonder how many people just had to have a double bass kit after seeing Lars perform "One". I was one of them. Same goes for Ringo, Rich, Krupa, etc. If you have a good drum kit and feel right playing it, don't make a major change because if your kit is not the "trend" now just wait and it might become the trend. Who really knows?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting a new trend. I have a Djembe on a stand just to the left of my hats

-------------------

That's really funny, I was thinking of posting "Djembes are all the rage" as soon as I saw the thread title!~

Djembes are all the rage.

I don't understand it, myself- why djembes? Why not any other big old handdrum with bass potential (even more bass potential in some cases)? But it's djembes, sure as you're born.

Djembes are *all* the rage.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Ted:

I played Djembe as part of a multi-percussion set-up that I did for an orchestral gig a few years ago. I had a big 18" djembe.

I would strike that drum in the center (ala cpr ... punch style) ... Man ... that drum was a canon.

People would come up after to performance and ask what was I playing. They were always surprised to see that I was playing this 18" Remo Djembe. It sounded like a 64" bass drum!

Powerful!

DJ

I'm just an air drummer, but here's my specs for a cool kit :D :

(right handed positioning)

5 1/2x14 inch wood snare drum (6 ply)

-Toms:

8x8, 10x10, 11x12, 13x13 (floor), 15x15 (floor)

preferably put the high toms on a rack, so they're easier to reach (I'm a small Asian dude)

-one 18x24 bass drum w/double pedal

drums by Pearl, heads by Remo (the fiber skin ones sound good to me, don't like the plastic-y stuff too much.), pedals by DW

Cymbals (all Zildjian)

-two crash cymbals (13 inch and 15 inch)

-one splash (7 inch, located above the hihat)

-two china crashes (12 inch to my left, 14 inch to my right)

-20 inch ride cymbal (medium, not too heavy)

-13 inch hihats, set wide enough for a good "chick" pedal sound, but not too far apart so I can bash on 'em for extreme drumming (like death metal stuff http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/evilgrinblack.gif)

-set of rototoms to my left

-one timpani drum and a cowbell, again to my left

-occasionally, in place of the timpani and cowbell, a pair of Roland pads and synth module for sound effects/weird crap

nearly forgot, 3 sets of 5a's for regular drumming, smaller jazz-size sticks for what else, and some brushesedit>

There ya go. Screw the trends, beeaatch!!!

(edit) Gawrshdarnit...I just realized the bass drum's too big for my tastes...OOPS!!! 16x22 sounds more manageable, both in terms of my ideal sound, and my small skeleton. :D (end edit)

Can we hope that the djembe thing will lead to kit drummers using real drumheads? Real skins, I mean?

I'll put my calfskin 32" up against that 18" djembe anytime... no fair comparing real skins and plastic!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Now, that's interesting. I don't know that I've ever seen a comparison between calfskin and plastic heads. My dad, back in the 50s and 60s, had a set of Ludwigs with calfskin heads. When was the last time they were widely produced?

Now I have to find a set of real gut strings for my geetar... :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

For me,the last big trend was when Alesis put everything that you would need to cut killer drum tracks into one,nice neat, little package dubbed the SR-16.

Since then,though,I've become a big fan of Keyboards and Recording.

What is the source of the real skin heads your testing djarret? Mine are from Lefima and they are *sweet*... I was amazed to find a source at all, but they are absolutely top quality. Cooperman's got a line on some cheaper stuff.

www.lefima-usa.com

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

[QB...I don't understand it, myself- why djembes? Why not any other big old handdrum with bass potential (even more bass potential in some cases)? But it's djembes, sure as you're born.

Djembes are *all* the rage.[/QB]

'cause that's what the guy GAVE me when I got the set. I hope to have some big beefy congas someday too. I love the way they sound. That djembe sure gives a wide variety of sounds though.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Archived